Sign in to follow this  
glemiln

Class tells

Recommended Posts

Thanks to the tweeters for today's updates.  Feared the final score after being down 18-0 after similar minutes, but credit to the lads to pull it back to 18-24 before Broncos' full-time class/fitness took it to 18-58.  Disappointing that we did not score 2nd half and that we lost Massam at ht - trust he's ok for the date with the neighbours.  Results mean we slip to 9th and now need Dewsbury to lose at home to Sheffield and we win or draw to regain 8th.  A loss and we shall almost certainly finish 9th.   If so, I believe we would have Oldham, Swinton & Batley at homeToulouse (or Fax), Sheffield, Dewsbury & Bulls away in the Shield. (In what order/dates ???).   8th position could give us homers with Dewsbury, Oldham, Bulls & Toulouse (or Fax)Batley, Sheffield & Swinton away.

Either way it will be a tough 7 weeks to obtain at least (I guess) 7/8  points to maintain our Championship status - but first the neighbours.

PS. We won the penalties conceded today 4-11.  Way to go!

Edited by glemiln
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jarrod Samutt is a fantastic player,dont know about the rest.Have to wait and see wether they are Super League standard,simiilar to Ford with Toulouse, one great player pulling the strings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are a powerful outfit. I judge them to be better than Hull. So far as Super League is concerned They would struggle to make that big step up with their current team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our 7 Shield games have changed (from my original source above) according to the RFL & based on current league positions :

Home - Batley, Swinton, Oldham

Away -  Bulls, Rams, Eagles, Toulouse

Were we to finish 8th, I think it would be Home - Toulouse, Bulls, Oldham & Rams  Away - Swinton, Sheffield & Batley.

Hopefully we shall have a fit and fired-up squad to secure our status. 

Dates will not be announced until after next weekend's games.  How fixtures map out will be crucial to the final outcome.

http://www.rugby-league.com/super-eights

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2017 at 7:10 PM, glemiln said:

Our 7 Shield games have changed (from my original source above) according to the RFL & based on current league positions :

Home - Batley, Swinton, Oldham

Away -  Bulls, Rams, Eagles, Toulouse

Were we to finish 8th, I think it would be Home - Toulouse, Bulls, Oldham & Rams  Away - Swinton, Sheffield & Batley.

Hopefully we shall have a fit and fired-up squad to secure our status. 

Dates will not be announced until after next weekend's games.  How fixtures map out will be crucial to the final outcome.

http://www.rugby-league.com/super-eights

 

Ooh - ANOTHER trip to Toulouse...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Ooh - ANOTHER trip to Toulouse...

If we finish 9th (5th in Super8 table) and the S8 fixtures mirror those just announced for League1, it seems that trip will be the case and the last match of the 8s (it would be good to celebrate that one again!).  Of course, if this weekend's games go against Toulouse, a shorter trip to Fax could beckon.  If this fixture pattern is correct our games, in sequence, will be Swinton H, Eagles  A, Batley H, Bulls A, Rams A, Oldham H &  Tox A.

8th finish indicates Tox H, Swinton A, Bulls H, Eagles A, Rams H, Batley A and last, but not least Oldham H.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, glemiln said:

If we finish 9th (5th in Super8 table) and the S8 fixtures mirror those just announced for League1, it seems that trip will be the case and the last match of the 8s (it would be good to celebrate that one again!).  Of course, if this weekend's games go against Toulouse, a shorter trip to Fax could beckon.  If this fixture pattern is correct our games, in sequence, will be Swinton H, Eagles  A, Batley H, Bulls A, Rams A, Oldham H &  Tox A.

8th finish indicates Tox H, Swinton A, Bulls H, Eagles A, Rams H, Batley A and last, but not least Oldham H.

 

Based on that we must finish 8th. Nothing less.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By class I think you mean full timers against part timers,literally hardly an equal playing field is it? But we already knew that before the season got underway,Hornets and other part time sides have done well considering. Still got it all to play for,so come Hornets,a drop back to the Mickey Mouse division is not an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to treat todays game as a cup tie, take a kick at goal for every penalty possible.Try and keep ahead on scoreboard and point at it for any Oldham verbals instead of getting involved.I think we have a better pack today than Oldham so Yates for m.o.m for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discipline will be paramount today and I'm sure the players are aware of that. Let's get over there in numbers and get behind the lads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done to you all.You had too much for us today.Injuries have decimated us,not an excuse though.A deserved victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you MR. I fear for your coach tonight, I was stood at the gate he came through to get to his seat in the stand behind us, he wasn't very complimentary coming down at half time, and he was even less complimentary going back up after half time. He wasn't talking about Hornets though, he was talking about the Oldham performance. He remained in his lofty seat at the back of the stand a good ten minutes after the teams had gone off the pitch at full time, deep in thought so it seemed, would not be surprised if there wasn't an announcement overnight. Hope he stays for your sake's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our performance was dire.I have to say that if we do go down it may be curtains for the club.No more Derby's,law cups etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, moorside roughyed said:

Our performance was dire.I have to say that if we do go down it may be curtains for the club.No more Derby's,law cups etc.

I hope not, we can't afford to lose clubs like Oldham, Swinton etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cretanhornet said:

How very true.over the years we have had some great tussles with Oldham and Swinton,I for one would hate to see any one of them go down,

I agree. Lets hope its Bradford and Dewsbury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Doug said:

I agree. Lets hope its Bradford and Dewsbury.

And to think I was feeling a collective togetherness ... I understand  Bradford ... but Dewsbury are  well run club ,,, no debts .. we own OUR own stadium!! We are  sustainable !!   Surely a role model for how to survive in what is a difficult environment  

I truly believe the true heart of the game clubs should show some solidarity ... If more clubs were managed more like Dewsbury ... then perhaps we would not have some of the shenanigans  that is so prevalent  within the game at the moment!!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I hope not, we can't afford to lose clubs like Oldham, Swinton etc.

I agree 100% mate.I think the game in lower leagues is on its bottom.I honestly can't see a rosey future.Crowds for all clubs are dire.That's my take on it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, moorside roughyed said:

I agree 100% mate.I think the game in lower leagues is on its bottom.I honestly can't see a rosey future.Crowds for all clubs are dire.That's my take on it anyway.

Me too. I couldn't make the game today because of holidays but I've been to Oldham v Hornets " A " team games in the past with bigger gates. You only have to look around in the stands to see the game is ageing.

What the answers are I don't really know. For me the move to Super League has been a failure. The logic was for us to produce teams to beat the Aussies. We're no nearer to that now than we were 25 years ago.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



Rugby League World - Dec 2017

Rugby League Books On Sale Here

League Express - Every Monday