Your club's greatest 1-17? Name them here

Can you name your club's greatest ever 1-17 combining all eras?

If so I'd be interested to see a few teams put up on this thread and it'll help me to create them later on Rugby League Live 4 video game.

Obviously all these types of things are fairly subjective, but don't let that stop you.

Here's an example for St Helens (shamelessly nicked from the web) - feel free to add your team to it:

St Helens: 1. FB: Paul Wellens, 2. WG: Tom van Vollenhoven, 3. CE: Doug Greenall, 4. CE: Paul Newlove, 5. WG: Darren Albert, 6. SO: Les Fairclough, 7. SH: Alex Murphy, 8. PR Alan Prescott, 9. HK: Kieran Cunningham, 10. PR: Cliff Watson, 11. SR: Dick Huddart, 12. SR: Chris Joynt, 13. LF: Paul Sculthorpe, 14. SH: Sean Long, 15. LF: George Nichols, 16. LF: Vince Karalius, 17. FB: Kel Coslett

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another example

Classic Wigan: 1. FB: Kris Radlinski, 2. WG: Billy Boston, 3. CE: Eric Ashton, 4. CE: Dean Bell, 5. WG: Martin Offiah, 6. SO: Shaun Edwards, 7. SH: Andy Gregory, 8. PR Craig Smith, 9. HK: Terry Newton, 10. PR: Terry O'Connor, 11. SR: Andy Farrell, 12. SR: Sean O'Loughlin, 13. LF: Ellery Hanley, 14. SO: Henry Paul, 15. LF: Denis Betts, 16. SR: Mick Cassidy, 17. UB: Joe Lydon

Apart from Brian Bevan, I've seen all this team play for the wire.  I've left out - from players who would walk into any team - Andrew Johns and Bob Fulton (not enough games) and Alex Murphy and Alfie Langer (past their best when at the club)

1. FB: Jonathan Davies, 2.WG: Brian Bevan, 3.CE: Martin Gleeson, 4.CE: Alan Bateman, 5.WG John Bevan, 6.SO, Lee Briers, 7.SH, Parry Gordon, 8. PR, Les Boyd, 9. HK, Kevin Ashcroft, 10. PR Kevin Tamati, 11. SR Ben Currie, 12.SR Mike Nicholas, 13. LF, Mike Gregory (c), 14. UB, Stefan Ratchford, 15. HK, Michael Monaghan, 16. PR, Adrian Morley, 17. PR, Chris Hill

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Another example

Classic Wigan: 1. FB: Kris Radlinski, 2. WG: Billy Boston, 3. CE: Eric Ashton, 4. CE: Dean Bell, 5. WG: Martin Offiah, 6. SO: Shaun Edwards, 7. SH: Andy Gregory, 8. PR Craig Smith, 9. HK: Terry Newton, 10. PR: Terry O'Connor, 11. SR: Andy Farrell, 12. SR: Sean O'Loughlin, 13. LF: Ellery Hanley, 14. SO: Henry Paul, 15. LF: Denis Betts, 16. SR: Mick Cassidy, 17. UB: Joe Lydon

No idea but would that front row be the best with their great history?

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I'd have Meninga and Lyon as the Saints centres! I think Kevin Ward (from what I've read) and James Graham could possibly be in there too.

I'm no Saints fan, but Wardy was the real deal. Some players get respect from their peers, some get feared. Would it be presumptious to put Kevin in the latter category? I think not.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wigan

Starting 13
FB: Jim Sullivan
WI: Billy Boston
WI: Alf Ellaby
CE: Va'aiga Tuigamala
CE: Gary Connolly
SH: Adrian Lam
SO: Shaun Edwards
LF: Ellery Hanley
SR: George van Rooyen
SR: Simon Haughton (when he was good)
PR: Ken Gee
PR: Stuart Fielden
HO: Martin Dermott

Bench
Sam Panapa
Phil Clarke
Stuart Fielden
Dean Bell

Anyone fancy playing this mob?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wigan

Starting 13

Bench
Sam Panapa
Phil Clarke
Stuart Fielden
Dean Bell

Those Fielden twins were quality players but their parents lacked imagination!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wigan

Starting 13

Bench
Sam Panapa
Phil Clarke
Stuart Fielden
Dean Bell

Bit tough on Stuart Fielden being in the starting line up and on the bench. He was good, but not that good!

Oops!

Okay, stick Adrian Shelford or Brian Case on the bench instead.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is tough because as a Salford fan we have had some great players playing for us who were past their best. Martin Offiah, Steve Hampson, Sam Panapa. Andy Gregory, David Hulme, Adrian Morley

so my team of players at their best, with apologies for it being mainly our great team of the 70's

1. Paul Charlton

2. Keith Fielding

3. David Watkins

4. Chris Hesketh

5. Maurice Richards

6. Ken Gill

7. Peter Banner

8. Mike Coulman

9. Malcolm Alker

10. Andy Coley

11. Colin Dixon

12. Ben Murdoch - Masilla

13. Eric Prescott

14. Junior S'au

15. Michael Dobson

16. Craig Kopchak

17. Frank Collier

No need to apologise for picking so many 1970s players: that team, when on song, was wonderful to watch.  Banner rather than Steve Nash?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Just now, latchford albion said:

No need to apologise for picking so many 1970s players: that team, when on song, was wonderful to watch.  Banner rather than Steve Nash?

Yep. I always preferred Banner. Don't know why. I just think he played more off the cuff, and complemented Kenny Gill better than a Steve Nash did.

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wigan

Starting 13

Bench
Sam Panapa
Phil Clarke
Stuart Fielden
Dean Bell

I have to say I had never heard of Alf Ellaby (and I am a Wigan guy so no excuse).

Boston was a given I think with his record but Wigan have had some great wingers... in my time I would say Offiah, Robinson and Ferguson were the stand outs. What was it about Ellaby that led you to add him?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I'm hoping a few Wigan fans might have a few suggestions 'cos I agree it's the weak point of that team.

How about probably what I have been told the best ball handling prop there has ever been Brian McTigue.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have to say I had never heard of Alf Ellaby (and I am a Wigan guy so no excuse).

Boston was a given I think with his record but Wigan have had some great wingers... in my time I would say Offiah, Robinson and Ferguson were the stand outs. What was it about Ellaby that led you to add him?

Henderson Gill as well?

Just now, johnh1 said:

Henderson Gill as well?

I was going to add Gill. A very entertaining player and a good winger but not quite in the same class as the other three for me. 

I was obviously too hurt by Paul Sculthorpe leaving for Saints to think of him earlier on, but Judas would have to be in my 17 so Ben Currie is out until he becomes an all time great.

Too many great wingers not to leave a legend out. I chose Ellaby partly because he was a great winger and partly to bugarap the OP's stated wish to play the names in a video game.  :D 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Cas team (only including players I have seen live - so post late 80's):

Hardaker

St John Ellis

Richie Blackmore

Michael Shenton

(Dare I say) Denny Solomona

Tony Smith

Luke Gale

Kevin Ward

Paul Mcshane

Lee Crooks

Tawera Nikau

Mike McMeeken

Adrian Vowles

Daz Clark

Dean Sampson

Junior Moors

John Joyner

Tough call between Graham Steadman and  Hardaker for FB, but think ZH has a more complete all round game.

Could quite easily have paired Gale up with Mike Ford, Danny Orr or Brad Davis in the halves. 

Kevin Beardsmore probably should be in but I only saw the last few years of his career and he doesn't stand out in my memory.

Australian Ronnie Gibbs had a reletively brief spells with us, would probably have been in had he stayed longer.  

My Wire Team in my watching era:

1. Dave Lyon

2. Des Drummond

3. Martin Gleeson

4. Jonathan Davies

5. Joel Monaghan

6. Lee Briers ( stand out -without a shadow of a doubt....massively overlooked for GB, club legend)

7. Alfie Langer (would have picked Joey Johns - but only 3 games played)

8. Adrian Morley

9. Duane Mann

10. Roland Phillips

11. Paul Cullen

12. Ben Westwood

13. Mike Gregory (c)

Subs Bench:

Kevin Ellis, Danny Nutley, Gareth Carvell, David Solomona

Archived