Grand final winner and why?

Bold predictions Col, what odds you get on each, worth a fiver maybe

Wigan have a battle to even make it into the Semi's imo - Leeds/Wigan & Wakey/Saints will make a big difference

My head says Cas, they are simply a class above at the moment, however my heart says Leeds - of the current top 4 only team with experience of winning the big games - Leeds team should only get stronger next few weeks too

For me its Cas' GF to lose.. St. Helens are also my dark horses.

Don't think anyone other than Cas is actually playing consistently well, and Saints for me look like the team most likely to get it together in time.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

No doubt Cas are the best team by a long way but I've got a strong feeling about Leeds getting the job done when it counts. My bold prediction is a Rhinos v Wigan GF = Leeds winners

Wigan are 5 points off 4th place - that is a heck of a margin to pull back with only 16 points available and all the top 8 taking points off each other.

Agree on both Leeds and Saints - as a Cas fan I'm in unchartered territory so know no other emotion than "no way we'll win the GF"

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Saints. Had a small bet at 12/1 about 4/5 weeks ago and another at 16/1 after the loss at Leeds. 

Cas have been the best team clearly but the Super League is a marathon not a sprint and becomes a real last man standing affair. 

Ben Barba could be the X factor when he comes in. Lomax needs to stay fit. Smith's injury isn't as bad as first feared.

Big game at Wakey this week.

3 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I'm backing a Leeds/Saints final with Saints to win it. Holbrook seems to have turned us around somewhat at the right time, and I think Cas will struggle due to their inexperience in big games. 

How much experience does this specific Saints side have in big games?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

8 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

How much experience does this specific Saints side have in big games?

Id say experience of losing big games is worse than no experience at all haha

Like most people I would suggest Cas are favourites, but never write off the Rhinos.

Not sure about people talking up Wigan & Saints' hopes, both are way off the levels of Cas & Leeds imo.

With McGuire going & Burrow seemingly/possibly going too, the tale is well writen for a final cup & GF double for them to sign off with.

13 minutes ago, Col81 said:

The Barba factor could be the best signing ever in super league 

Absolutely right, If he's focused then look out he'll be dynamite.

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Wigan are 5 points off 4th place - that is a heck of a margin to pull back with only 16 points available and all the top 8 taking points off each other.

I was gonna say....no team has ever broke into the top 4 during the stupid 8s..

I can see that changing this year....maybe st Helens & hull replacing Salford & Wakefield...but the likes of Wigan on 21pts is asking too much imo

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

3 hours ago, Col81 said:

My prediction = Wigan

Lot of players back starting to gel and Wane knows how to win. 

Dark horse = Saints

on a roll and done it before

Wane has experience in losing too ,but that also can be to their advantage

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I can see Cas starting to falter for sure. They have had very little by way of injuries this year and whilst they have played brilliantly they have had a very consistent side each week.

We all know what a cup final appearance does to your form so that will certainly play into Castleford’s hands too. They are so far clear at the top that come the final couple of rounds they will surely have enough buffer to rest and freshen up key players too.

It is theirs to lose no question and if they do get turned over I cannot see past Hull or Leeds.

I'm totally biased of course, but I reckon Wakey could be dark horses to at least make the GF.

Only Hull have really given us a shellacking in the latter part of the season, while we have beaten Wigan, Hudds, Salford - maybe add Saints to that list after Sunday hopefully.  We pushed Cas all the way in our recent game, losing out to a fortunate, last minute drop goal that should have been ruled out.

I don't think we'll do it but I wouldnt bet against it to be honest.

Runners and Riders as I see it, with chance of wining rating  (out of 10)

Cas (8)

+ Consistent best team so far, Opportunity to manage squad fitness (no CC and could wrap LLS up within a few games), likely home semi final tie.

- conditions in play offs may not suit, question mark about big game performances.

Leeds (7)

+ big game experience (although no Sinfield or Peacock this time),  look to have hit form, probable home semi final.

- still playing in cup possible fatigue.  Lost last 7 meetings vs Cas.

Salford (6)

-  Class side, the 'beast' could provide some x factor to rejuvenate.

- possible cup hangover, form has dipped significantly.  Not forced to make semis based on current form.

Hull (7)

- Have the class to beat anyone on there day, Big powerful side could use weather conditions to advantage.

- potential CC hangover, inconsistent.

Wakefield (5)

+ playing very well, can rest players CC weeks.

- possibly lack the class/stars of some other teams  in contention.  Still have a tough task to make top 4.

Saints (6)

+ Look to have found form, have some classy players in their ranks and Ben Barba to come in.  Can rest players CC weeks.

- Work to do to make top 4, Jon Wilkin may be picked to play halfback back again at some point.

Wigan (5)

+ Big game experience, look to have their almost strongest side available.  Class side with players fit. 

- Big ask to make top 4, CC may become main focus.

I must admit I didn't watch Wigan's second-half against us and think, "Wow here is a side starting to gel." But you would never write them off until they are mathematically out of it and I would be surprised if one of Salford or Wakefield didn't bomb out in the Eights.

At this stage I would predict a Cas v Leeds GF with Cas winning it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Makinson, Wilkin, Percival, Swift, Amor, Roby, LMS, Walmsley and Thompson have all won a Grand Final. Another couple of players i.e. Lomax, Barba have lost them. That's a decent proportion of the squad. 

Barba won one last year

I am going to make a fairly desperate case on the side of Hull.

"On their day" they are as good as anyone in the comp if not better. Personally I think "on paper" at least they are better than last year. That said this side is wildly more inconsistent than last year. Even when we lost to Cas/Saints/Leeds recently I was not worried because with one or two (or lots of) mistakes taken out of the game could easily have won. I cant however explain for instance the loss to Leigh at home.

But back to the point my two items I am hanging onto are -

Coming good at the right time of year. Radford has made a big thing of this since winning the challenge cup last year and what followed. (Although who knows what getting into another CC final if we did would do)

Gareth Ellis. If he does make his comeback at the end of the season we look a different side. He somehow just seems to install belief in the team when the chips are down.

Archived