Sign in to follow this  
Gav Wilson

League 1 Super 8s - Knights v Toronto

Just now, DEANO said:

What like grass and plastic as well

Deano of all the posts you could have made today lol. You should be on cloud 9 fella. A very proud day for your club!

• Like 1

Attended the game today and thoroughly enjoyed every second of the game. I thought the inevitable was going to happen when the Wolfpack scored two quick tries at the start of the second half but York rode out the storm and settled back to continue the good work they'd started in the first half. York were deserving winners despite Rowley's whinge. OK they got lucky with the second try which IMO was a knock on by the York player but Pownall blew a certain try when his hand slid down the side of the ball. As they said in the commentary box it was 50/50 but I don't have a problem with the decision. Congrats to all the York fans and I hope the ones who attended for the first time in a while enjoyed what they saw and return for the next game at BC.

Edited by deluded pom?
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

B-b-but what about away fans? ??

There were plenty of people wearing TWP gear (although 99% were probably English) and plenty of people who attended just because York were playing TWP.  They may not fly thousands over from Toronto but they do add numbers to attendances one way or another.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Both 40-metre lines ran through the soccer centre circle which was visible on screen.

Someone sounds a wee bit bitter.Oh,by the way its Football not Soccer!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No, RL needs to be like every other major sport and have one uniform way of marking fields of play at every match with no exceptions.  This Mickey Mouse business of having different markings at different venues needs to be stopped.

LOLOLOLOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aitch11 said:

Someone sounds a wee bit bitter.Oh,by the way its Football not Soccer!

I'm not bitter at all, I'm glad to see a close competitive match rather than another blowout.  Soccer is only one of at least five kinds of football in the world which I know of, the others being Gaelic football, Australian Rules football, rugby league football and rugby union football.  I exclude gridiron because it doesn't involve playing the ball with the foot to any meaningful degree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I exclude gridiron because it doesn't involve playing the ball with the foot to any meaningful degree.

There is not definite etymology for the word but one theory is that the 'foot' in football refers to the sport being played on foot rather than on a horse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

There is not definite etymology for the word but one theory is that the 'foot' in football refers to the sport being played on foot rather than on a horse.

ROFL, in that case hockey, lacrosse, baseball, cricket and various other sports would all be types of football which would really be ridiculous.

• Like 2

Great gutsy performance from York and maybe some overconfidence from TWP. I did wonder how these constant blowouts might impact the team - they're all only human after all, and winning week in, week out has got to have some psychological effect on the team. Might be just the thing we need to kick on for the rest of the 8's. Congratulations to York for the work they put in to promoting the game this week. 

(BTW - from what I read, the term 'soccer' seems to have originated in the UK to distinguish the game from 'rugger'. It's just that those damn yankees seem to have picked up one and not the other.) 

• Like 2

So to refresh my little grey cells, how does this result affect TW's move into the Championship? I see they are still three points ahead of the next two. Is it one team or two that gets promoted? It's not cut and dried as best I can see it.

• Like 1

Just now, RayCee said:

So to refresh my little grey cells, how does this result affect TW's move into the Championship? I see they are still three points ahead of the next two. Is it one team or two that gets promoted? It's not cut and dried as best I can see it.

If Toronto win 5 of the next 6 they will be promoted automatically. Top team is promoted automatically and places 2,3,4,5 play off for second promotion spot.

• Like 1

Just now, Scubby said:

If Toronto win 5 of the next 6 they will be promoted automatically. Top team is promoted automatically and places 2,3,4,5 play off for second promotion spot.

Thanks Scubby

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

ROFL, in that case hockey, lacrosse, baseball, cricket and various other sports would all be types of football which would really be ridiculous.

Although the accepted etymology of the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot.[5] These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often enjoyed by aristocrats

28 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

(BTW - from what I read, the term 'soccer' seems to have originated in the UK to distinguish the game from 'rugger'. It's just that those damn yankees seem to have picked up one and not the other.) 

Yes it is just short for Association as in Association Football. 

It's funny when a Brit gets precious over the American use of soccer but don't even blink when Soccer AM or Soccer Saturday is on Sky.  

• Like 2

Congratulations York on an outstanding win and for what sounds like a terrific event.

I will ignore the guff about pitch markings and the use of the word 'soccer'.

• Like 2

That was a brilliant performance by York, totally outplayed Toronto.  Wallace and Brierley were invisible, the pack were more than matched and the discipline atrocious.  Bussey was a liability and not for the first time this season.

With the few loanees from Hull KR making the difference for York it will hopefully give Toronto, and more importantly Paul Rowley, a taste of what they can expect if they make it to the Championship.  Previous strategies will need to change.  Harris said it best, keep it simple and they will make mistakes.

Hats off to York, recruited well for the 8's and made it count when it mattered in one of the games of the season; a wonderful success on, and off, the field today.  Congratulations all round!

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

That was a brilliant performance by York, totally outplayed Toronto.  Wallace and Brierley were invisible, the pack were more than matched and the discipline atrocious.  Bussey was a liability and not for the first time this season.

With the few loanees from Hull KR making the difference for York it will hopefully give Toronto, and more importantly Paul Rowley, a taste of what they can expect if they make it to the Championship.  Previous strategies will need to change.  Harris said it best, keep it simple and they will make mistakes.

Hats off to York, recruited well for the 8's and made it count when it mattered in one of the games of the season; a wonderful success on, and off, the field today.  Congratulations all round!

Rowley is blaming the ref for your defeat , couple of Canadian guys sat next to me agreed that the dirty tactics from some of the WP players the yellow cards were fully deserved.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Rowley is blaming the ref for your defeat , couple of Canadian guys sat next to me agreed that the dirty tactics from some of the WP players the yellow cards were fully deserved.

Watched on TV, I thought Pownall dropped it over the line and Bussey was lucky to only have been binned.  Ironically the one on report was probably the most reactionary and with least intent.  You can be hard and aggressive in RL without having to resort to things like that.

Referee blobbed on York's second, but other than that I thought he had a reasonable game.  Toronto created the circumstances for themselves and York took advantage of those, nothing to do with the ref.

Toronto's worst performance by a long way, but that's not to take away anything from York and their achievement.

*Edit* The fact that Rowley explained that this particular ref had been 'harsh' in the past would have been all the more reason to scale back tactics which might be detrimental in the first place, not to gripe about it afterwards.

Edited by CanaBull
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

I have to agree too, they tend to be a bit dirty at times.  That it cost them today is a good thing, teams should be punished for dirty play and this should be a valuable lesson to the Wolfpack going forward.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dkw said:

But I thought them being in town would have no impact on crowds, I'm certain some miserable nutjob told us that for certain.

You referring to "Parksider" ? ?