Sign in to follow this  
RogerT

2018 Squad.

Liked him at rams minus the penalties he gave. Cowling was immense on Sunday too. Bigger hits than uglia

The fact that Crookes has re-signed and been announced ahead of Cowling doesn't IMO look promising. I expected him to be automatic choice once Hallett went. Yes I know he had an injury, but it appears that Brev is ahead of him when not playing 2nd row and it can't feel good knowing that you're behind a 35 year old in the centres pecking order, so maybe Cowling is waiting to see if Brev carries on or if indeed he has been approached regarding staying or going. Crookes does add a Yere type power in the centre and complements Smeaton. As I said previously, we love all our lads but progress has to take place for us to improve on this iffy season, and I don't think it can be achieved without significant change. We can't afford to take chances this time on maybes for the future when most of em aren't getting a future. Also, even allowing for the perceived rift between coach and some players early on which appear to have been resolved with our great improvement after Summer Bash, will all those relationships have been sufficiently repaired to stop one or two moving on, voluntarily or not? Could be an interesting November!!

League Express of 4th Sept; Diskin busy putting the finishing touches to his 2018 squad'. Await......

It will be interesting to see who we sign on.

There doesn't seem to be too many players available currently, most teams seem to be extending the contracts of players they already have and quite a few players signed 2+ year contracts last year, so are still under contract for this coming season. 

Better quality players than what we have, will likely to be looking for full time contracts, either in SL or at the 4 full time teams in our division or possibly even Bradford, who are going to carry on with some full time players despite being relegated.

For the odd part-time player who is better than what we have, they are likely to be on the radar of both Featherstone and Halifax, who are likely to have more money than we do, due to finishing in the top 4. 

As much as I don't like DR, I don't think there will be much hope of improving the squad without it. Let's hope we do better out of it than we did last year.

Edited by DOGFATHER

If we,re bringing in a new half-back, it's not Tom Holmes, gone to Fev. What about Maher do you reckon?

On 22/08/2017 at 9:41 PM, 9' oller said:

Liked him at rams minus the penalties he gave. Cowling was immense on Sunday too. Bigger hits than uglia

Just heard in club that tom hemingway is on mr Diskins list for next season, imo of course this is a big step backwards in recruiting good players for 2018, was never rated highly when played for us or our neighbours.

I think I'd stick with Cain even though he's been found out defensively and in his lack of speed. Tom has had more clubs than tiger woods and if we didn't plump up the cash on little Gareth I certainly don't think Hemingway would be worth the brass

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

I think I'd stick with Cain even though he's been found out defensively and in his lack of speed. Tom has had more clubs than tiger woods and if we didn't plump up the cash on little Gareth I certainly don't think Hemingway would be worth the brass

100% agree 9 oller, imo he cant tackle, hes scared of getting shirt mucky and only thing he has got is a kicking game, but we have patch walker so definatly dont need a player like him imo of course

5 hours ago, billybulldog said:

Just heard in club that tom hemingway is on mr Diskins list for next season, imo of course this is a big step backwards in recruiting good players for 2018, was never rated highly when played for us or our neighbours.

If that's true then it says even more about Diskin's judgment and ability. Poor indeed.

7 hours ago, billybulldog said:

100% agree 9 oller, imo he cant tackle, hes scared of getting shirt mucky and only thing he has got is a kicking game, but we have patch walker so definatly dont need a player like him imo of course

rubbish,"scared of getting his shirt mucky" were talking about tom not gaz,

tough as old boots and were a game winner not too long ago, fair enough hes not for us at this time as mc shane might be on his way with thacks n briggs but dont knock him for wanting to play the game. someone mentioned today that wallys on his way back and mr hardmans joining too??are they past it...

8 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Didn't Walton just a contract extension not so long ago. I enjoy the rumour season, but only ever believe it when announced by our club.

yep i thought so too dd, and what i seen a wally he were really making some hard yards for wakey, but do those contracts mean as much as they did years back, is it just an axtra fee for the host club. like you say i rather wait until there seen int carpark with some kitbags.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, silverback said:

rubbish,"scared of getting his shirt mucky" were talking about tom not gaz,

tough as old boots and were a game winner not too long ago, fair enough hes not for us at this time as mc shane might be on his way with thacks n briggs but dont knock him for wanting to play the game. someone mentioned today that wallys on his way back and mr hardmans joining too??are they past it...

Silverback. When in  my comment did i say he was past it? Realy dont think i did do you, no i guess not, what i said he was no good for us, he wasnt before so why do you think he would be now? 

2 minutes ago, billybulldog said:

Silverback. When in  my comment did i say he was past it? Realy dont think i did do you, no i guess not, what i said he was no good for us, he wasnt before so why do you think he would be now? 

Personally thought he was ok last time he was with us. After all, he helped us get to the GF, and provided solid back up to both Black and Moore.

lf my memory serves me well, Moore was injured at the start of that season, and with a pairing of Hemingway and Black at half back, we enjoyed a successful start to the season.

I don't think he is the right signing to help us move forward now, but would not question the role he played in our success last time he was at the Mount.

1 hour ago, billybulldog said:

nope, you stated he cant tackle and dident like getting his shirt mucky, and were do i say hes good for us now?? hes kinda player i would want to lead a second team out if we had one for sure, like i said you have your opinion but to me your talking out yer pinger, you always got 100% out a tom and if he were as naff as your making out he would a never worn a fev shirt thats for sure.

Too early for panic signings which signing Tom would be. I would like to think we could come up with the cash to sign players that will take us forward rather than players who would keep us being a nearly team (like this season).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, silverback said:

nope, you stated he cant tackle and dident like getting his shirt mucky, and were do i say hes good for us now?? hes kinda player i would want to lead a second team out if we had one for sure, like i said you have your opinion but to me your talking out yer pinger, you always got 100% out a tom and if he were as naff as your making out he would a never worn a fev shirt thats for sure.

Keagan hirst wore a fev shirt but couldn't get in fev side, hemingway couldnt even always get in rams side and thats saying alot, tom must be a friend of your's as imo of course you seem very touchy on the matter in hand, i think he would be good at championship 1 but definatly not our level, and tbf he wasn't that good for us before so definatly wouldn't have him back now.

I heard same from a mate, hate to agree with bb lol but, deffo not good enough for us, like bb said he couldnt even get in rams squad

Surely this Hemmingway rumour must be a wind up emanating from one of the Dewsbury faithful?

If not, and he is the standard we are looking to bring in for next season, we can effectively kiss a top 6 finish goodbye.

I'd love to know if we were in to sign Tom Holmes and how much, if indeed we did try to sign him, we were out bid by. He is the standard I believe we need to be bringing in if we are going to move forward.

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, stevieb said:

I heard same from a mate, hate to agree with bb lol but, deffo not good enough for us, like bb said he couldnt even get in rams squad

thats why folks including myself said he aint what we need just now, he had some cracking games for us, just dont like players getting rubbish wrote like bb put up, he dident always make the dews team as at the time wernt they on 50+ players in squad at one point. am quite happy with who we have and those few coming in for 2018 just to bolster us up. and maybe they will get there shirt mucky too..:download:  up the doggies.

• Haha 1