Who is the slowest and laziest player in your team?

God save us from waffle and ever increasing use of stats . I'd rather judge on what I see . Origin stats showed Peats doing this and that at the top of list , but with the ball I thought he was completely anonymous and robotically passed the ball for the whole game . 

I was just on my way for the day when I saw this thread.

It's the kind of question/OP I hate. T'interweb already brings out the worst in people and this only encourages that and lazy journalism to be honest.

If we applied this to some of the most famous, renowned hall of famers it would probably have the fans out for their blood, and weren't Lewis Jones and Wally Lewis known for going missing during large patches of a match if not most of it before making the difference between winning and losing?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

40 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I was just on my way for the day when I saw this thread.

It's the kind of question/OP I hate. T'interweb already brings out the worst in people and this only encourages that and lazy journalism to be honest.

If we applied this to some of the most famous, renowned hall of famers it would probably have the fans out for their blood, and weren't Lewis Jones and Wally Lewis known for going missing during large patches of a match if not most of it before making the difference between winning and losing?

Term ' played in a dinner suit ' springs to mind ... who needs to run around a lot ?

Stats only take you so far.

Take Tony Clubb's run at JJB the other day.  Put him on his backside, lifted the team and the crowd, great aggressive running.

The stats will say - 1 carry, x metres made

Doesn't really do it justice.

I think this is a superb tool. As long as it's used in the right way by fans. 

You mention that run by Clubb, but that moment would also capture the G force in the collision! 

Also, can you imagine just how good it would be for young aspiring players to be able to track the players that play on their positions etc. As well as other coaches, in particular the amateaur coaches.

As long as people use these stats as what they are, which is simply a tool to see what each player actually does it can only be a good thing. 

True.  But there will be other tackles with greater G force where nobody got sat on their ######.

I don't object to stat use at all, you just need to be careful using them alone to analyse a player's contribution.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

True.  But there will be other tackles with greater G force where nobody got sat on their ######.

I don't object to stat use at all, you just need to be careful using them alone to analyse a player's contribution.

Exactly why the stats are interesting, as without them you wouldn't know about that harder run or tackle. 

I agree too about using them alone to analyse a player, as there are umpteen other factors which may be more inportant, which is why I said if they are used correctly. 

Don't get me wrong, you will definately get fans saying "such and such only took the flipping ball in twice, the lazy so and so."

it would certainly create more talking points, but the guys that this info matters to most won't get wrapped up in how the fans see the stats. Unless they decide to educate them by explaining why certain stats go with other certain stats. Again, another great talking point. 

Archived