will wayne bennett be our sven goran errikson, fabio capello period?

I would bite the bullet before the wc and boot Bennett now, put daryl powell in charge and let him have free reign, the Bennett thing will just be Englands sven/ Fabio period so lets not even bother, be brave for once rfl

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why isn't Powell involved already and there to step up after Bennett ? As for Bennett himself , must cut him some slack until we see how the WC pans out , he knows a thing or two you'd think

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Why isn't Powell involved already and there to step up after Bennett ? As for Bennett himself , must cut him some slack until we see how the WC pans out , he knows a thing or two you'd think

I would image its gonna pan out a bit like brian clough at leeds utd

He is still at the top of his game. The Broncos are 3rd in the NRL. The competition is in Australia and NZ and Bennett is watching the opposition players first hand week in week out. Yep, let's boot him out 12 weeks before the World Cup.

8 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

What reasoning do you have for this beyond inane comparisons with football managers?

how can a relic about 83years old  who has a full time top pressure nrl job do a job for England rl? he will fail and blame our culture then run off with the cash like sven and fabio

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

how can a relic about 83years old  who has a full time top pressure nrl job do a job for England rl? he will fail and blame our culture then run off with the cash like sven and fabio

Which he is still doing brilliantly.

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

He's 67. And this is a different sport. And look at how the England football team have done since those two..

having Bennett as the wc coach is playing straight in to the kangaroos hands - throw a wild card wobbler a few weeks before after all we are English- let them take on the un known

From memory, it was the England players who failed Capello, not the other way around. Their efforts were pretty desultory until the final (friendly) match when the manager had already announced his departure. Then they showed the work ethic and structure that was more Capello-esque.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

having Bennett as the wc coach is playing straight in to the kangaroos hands - throw a wild card wobbler a few weeks before after all we are English- let them take on the un known

Are you drunk?

1 minute ago, Forestgravy said:

Are you drunk?

the last thing we need is to take them on at their own game, that's what will happen at the wc  with Bennett cutting the strings

The issues go much deeper than the coach, there is much for England to do if they have a chance of competing.  I'd put them at 16/1 to win.

It would look so panicky to change coach this late it just isn't going to happen. 

But I don't think he has brought a great deal to England from what I've seen, although they have such limited time together it's hard to see how you really shape a team.

Bennett's hardly had any time with England so far. He has to be given a chance.

If his music career doesn't get in the way...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

He's 67. And this is a different sport. And look at how the England football team have done since those two..

I was thinking that . Golden age looking back now !

lets get daryl powell and brian mac prowling the touchline with a lion in their heart rather than old misery face sat in the stands with a rennie in his pocket

Just now, Scubby said:

xenophobic is the word you are looking for I think

Don't be silly Wayne Bennett can't surely be expected to try and beat his own countrymen by doing a job he's paid a lot of money to do. And with a talented squad who are capable of going all the way and if they do it will be considered an enormous achievement both for the country and he personally will get some serious accolades and solidify his reputation as one of the greatest RL coaches of all time.

Don't be silly, he just wants to drink a VB and eat barbecued prawns, then laugh at the English for losing as usual.

Just now, Forestgravy said:

Don't be silly Wayne Bennett can't surely be expected to try and beat his own countrymen by doing a job he's paid a lot of money to do. And with a talented squad who are capable of going all the way and if they do it will be considered an enormous achievement both for the country and he personally will get some serious accolades and solidify his reputation as one of the greatest RL coaches of all time.

Don't be silly, he just wants to drink a VB and eat barbecued prawns, then laugh at the English for losing as usual.

trampling over andy murray  to collect sports personality of the year

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lets get daryl powell and brian mac prowling the touchline with a lion in their heart rather than old misery face sat in the stands with a rennie in his pocket

He's won 8 grand finals at three clubs with that face 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

He's won 8 grand finals at three clubs with that face 

with players who are legends of the game, not lame ***** like kallum lazykins

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

with players who are legends of the game, not lame ***** like kallum lazykins

That's a different argument , now you're on the players so how will changing the coach help ?

Archived