Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TMF

Sponshership

5 posts in this topic

Well, after the Haven debacle, it seems to have gone quiet here and I quite understand, having stood and witnessing the worst performance for quite a while. It won't happen again. Well, I expect not. I would like to open another thread here. This actually is a question to the Board. It's a question a lot of people ask, so, i'll ask. Why is our team are not running out onto the pitch with our main sponser on the shirt being @BAE Systems? I find it incredulous that a company that prides itself in promoting itself as supporting local communities and charities  and regards Barrow as an important cog in it's overall worldwide business can not see that supporting the local teams, and I also include Barrow AFC in this post, means a lot to us?. In the past Vickers Armstrong used to recognise this. They kept both teams  going because they realised the importance that Barrow was, actually, was an important town. 

I could go on and on, but, can somebody from the Board tell me and other fans why BAE won't sponser us? 

The problem is there's no "Mr BAE" 

theres no go to man that can get it sorted. 

Ive had email years ago to say that because it's a international company it doesn't want to be seen as sponsoring one team or another. 

They have a thing called "corporate responsibility" where because they industrialise areas like Barrow and predominantly Barrow island that they should put back into the community. And although there is a barrow lass who is in charge of that, Jackie Arnold, they don't do anything  not for Barrow or Barrow island. 

all the rugby has had from BAE in the 5 years I've been involved is 1 board @ £400 saying WE ARE RECRUITING, when I got in touch with them after a year to renew it. I got an email saying, they don't do that anymore and the person I spoke to last year had moved  

Its not like they don't know we're here. 

They could put us into the championship in a pen stroke and write it off as tax. 

But either they won't, don't or can't. 

Honest answer

Posted (edited)

I suppose its a case of what do they get back.

Most sponsors see it as a form of advertising and they can legitimately claim its part of their advertising budget and write it down for tax purposes.

But who is going to go out and buy a submarine?.

I would imagine that companies like BAE do spend a fortune on advertising in defence shows around the world and they certainly wouldn't see their target audience as the man on the terrace.

That said, from a PR point of view most big employers do want to appear as a benevolent presence in their local communities. But in truth they only pay lip service to that.

Edited by Bearman
Spelling

Thanks for your honest reply Pete. Obviously you don't understand it either. Maybe a few comments on the BAE intranet, from supporters who work there, to the board might have an affect, then again? Seems they don't give a toss about 90% of the supporters who have or have had an affinity with said company, or, in that case, Barrovians. Thank God for all the local business's that do support the club.

11 hours ago, Bearman said:

I suppose its a case of what do they get back.

Most sponsors see it as a form of advertising and they can legitimately claim its part of their advertising budget and write it down for tax purposes.

But who is going to go out and buy a submarine?.

I would imagine that companies like BAE do spend a fortune on advertising in defence shows around the world and they certainly wouldn't see their target audience as the man on the terrace.

That said, from a PR point of view most big employers do want to appear as a benevolent presence in their local communities. But in truth they only pay lip service to that.

Well bearman, there is a company in the nuclear industry who do sponsor rugby league, but not in barrow, we have always relied on our brilliant local, small companies