Sign in to follow this  
TheDuke

Hull League

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Defender1 said:

Switch to Summer and you will have that many players you won't know what to do with them (David Gent) 

And now the talk is merger as a solution

I was never in favour of switching to summer and believe it has ruined the amateur  game.  But we now have to deal with the hand we are dealt. The Hull area no longer has enough players to support the number of teams we used to have.  So if not merging some clubs together (only the clubs who are struggling for players) then what do we do? I can't remember the last time the Hull league completed a season without clubs dropping out and not been able to fulfil the fixture list.  I would rather have a league of say 8 or 10 teams that all have the ability to play a full season then two leagues of 8  and half the teams drop out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Hull league fell in line with the NCL and other leagues (yes I think it should be winter for the better of the game but that's a different argument for another day) I believe the NCL teams would put their a teams in and a few clubs merge you could end up with

 

West Hull A

Myton A

Skirlaugh A

Dockers A

East Hull

NHK

Tuns

Norland

Beverley A

Bilton/reckitts

Lambwath/Bransholme

Brownlies

 

I am not saying those 4 teams should merge just off the top of my head and I am sure I have missed some teams but that could be a competitive league. and I have put Beverley in as I have heard they are trying to get an A team together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MJL said:

If the Hull league fell in line with the NCL and other leagues (yes I think it should be winter for the better of the game but that's a different argument for another day) I believe the NCL teams would put their a teams in and a few clubs merge you could end up with

 

West Hull A

Myton A

Skirlaugh A

Dockers A

East Hull

NHK

Tuns

Norland

Beverley A

Bilton/reckitts

Lambwath/Bransholme

Brownlies

 

I am not saying those 4 teams should merge just off the top of my head and I am sure I have missed some teams but that could be a competitive league. and I have put Beverley in as I have heard they are trying to get an A team together

That would be good problem is the politics involved there have been a lot of personal issues between club personal and committee members which is sad really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I'm aware of some issues, ideally we all need to put the past behind us for the good of the amateur game in Hull. The clubs need a strong Hull and district league and the league needs the clubs. If that can't be done then perhaps we need some new blood on the committee. I no longer coach and would not be averse to joining the committee but it appears to be a closed group of volunteers who often seem out of touch with the current players/teams needs

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MJL said:

Yes I'm aware of some issues, ideally we all need to put the past behind us for the good of the amateur game in Hull. The clubs need a strong Hull and district league and the league needs the clubs. If that can't be done then perhaps we need some new blood on the committee. I no longer coach and would not be averse to joining the committee but it appears to be a closed group of volunteers who often seem out of touch with the current players/teams needs

 

I spoke to Alan Parker only yesterday and they re-elected all the committee as nobody stood, you would have to go through a club to get nominated I would think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Defender1 said:

It appears they have left the YML but applied to enter the Hull league, apparently only 10 clubs have applied (will all make it) but there was a vote to allow a team from York and Scarborough to join with only one club against

Is this separate clubs from York and Scarborough, or one playing out of both venues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bowes said:

Is this separate clubs from York and Scarborough, or one playing out of both venues?

I am not sure it was a suggestion apparently and they have had interest, Scarborough used to play in the Hull league but the Hull clubs complained about the travelling, again the York thing does not seem like a club but a York team the season opener is a Hull select v a York select

Early days it appears

last few years there has been a lot of conflict over the registration's with a limit on registered players and the need to register or deregister players by Thursday at 9pm which caused many issues and hard work with the clubs as you don't usually know who is available until Saturday by then too late for players to play, now unlimited registrations but still have to register by Thursday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a new York team had expressed an interest to join.

 

Hull & District v York & District in September for the Jonny Whiteley Trophy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Defender1 said:

It appears they have left the YML but applied to enter the Hull league, apparently only 10 clubs have applied (will all make it) but there was a vote to allow a team from York and Scarborough to join with only one club against

I think the Hull league could mop up a few of the old CMS Yorkshire league sides who left the Pennine because it wasn't the promised land and their only choice was to go summer, now they're realising it's not all sunshine and BBQ's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, MJL said:

I was never in favour of switching to summer and believe it has ruined the amateur  game.  But we now have to deal with the hand we are dealt. The Hull area no longer has enough players to support the number of teams we used to have.  So if not merging some clubs together (only the clubs who are struggling for players) then what do we do? I can't remember the last time the Hull league completed a season without clubs dropping out and not been able to fulfil the fixture list.  I would rather have a league of say 8 or 10 teams that all have the ability to play a full season then two leagues of 8  and half the teams drop out. 

How are the union clubs doing in the winter ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you read(in the local paper) the match/club reports they are going well .

You cant read anything about amateur rugby league (local paper ) as news/reports are thin on the ground .

NCL teams get a very small write up pre weekends games and maybe small write up /results post games .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, henage said:

If you read(in the local paper) the match/club reports they are going well .

You cant read anything about amateur rugby league (local paper ) as news/reports are thin on the ground .

NCL teams get a very small write up pre weekends games and maybe small write up /results post games .

 

HDM always used to have  brilliant coverage of the local RL, I used to go to Goole to pick one up to read the reports.

Edited by Marauder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Marauder said:

HDM always used to have  brilliant coverage of the local RL, I used to go to Goole to pick one up to read the reports.

Was that in the days of the Green Sports Mail ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

Was that in the days of the Green Sports Mail ?

mid 80's, I think it was the Thursday edition, it had all the results, write up's  and fixtures in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

mid 80's, I think it was the Thursday edition, it had all the results, write up's  and fixtures in.

Probably was, Green mail came out Saturday about 6.30 was great really had all local results apparently the reporters had to find a phone box that worked to ring in the report

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Defender1 said:

Probably was, Green mail came out Saturday about 6.30 was great really had all local results apparently the reporters had to find a phone box that worked to ring in the report

Our local Saturday evening sports paper was called the Green'un, I used to sell them outside the local pubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Marauder said:

HDM always used to have  brilliant coverage of the local RL, I used to go to Goole to pick one up to read the reports.

Someone's  got to do a match report , take a few pictures put it all together and send it in and hope you get to someone at the other end  that is interested in your report / pictures . Once in a blue moon you might get the papers freelance photographer down to a game .

Like lots of thinks , the people helping out are doing 100 and 1 thinks for clubs/teams during the week and match days and prob don't need the extra work involved .

Guy came down to a Dockers A team game a few weeks ago and did a really good video highlights package that he puts on his internet channel (ytube?) he is in demand for his services . Something like this is a good outlet for clubs but still doesn't make up for near zero coverage in the local press .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, henage said:

Someone's  got to do a match report , take a few pictures put it all together and send it in and hope you get to someone at the other end  that is interested in your report / pictures . Once in a blue moon you might get the papers freelance photographer down to a game .

Like lots of thinks , the people helping out are doing 100 and 1 thinks for clubs/teams during the week and match days and prob don't need the extra work involved .

Guy came down to a Dockers A team game a few weeks ago and did a really good video highlights package that he puts on his internet channel (ytube?) he is in demand for his services . Something like this is a good outlet for clubs but still doesn't make up for near zero coverage in the local press .

Yeah grass roots media it's called. Local guy called Shaun runs it, Some good coverage. The whole amateur game in Hull needs a revamp from the league, the coverage and the committee. The problem is as always is nobody is willing to go the extra mile (or not enough people are) to promote the game anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with you .

Game needs some fresh blood , ideas ,strong leadership etc etc .

Need the volunteer's that's the big one .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, henage said:

Agree with you .

Game needs some fresh blood , ideas ,strong leadership etc etc .

Need the volunteer's that's the big one .

 

Any games down at dockers this weekend,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2017 at 8:15 AM, MJL said:

Cheers I will have a word will Alan this week see what needs to be done. 

Spoke to Alan yesterday they are asking for people that was the last thing they said at the meeting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

Spoke to Alan yesterday they are asking for people that was the last thing they said at the meeting 

Cheers , Got a lot on beginning of the week with the kids been off , but I'll give him a bell on Wednesday see if there is anything I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday