Sign in to follow this  
Jane

Toronto Trip Funding

The Barrow Raiders Supporters Trust are trying to help the club out with their second trip to Toronto.  Please find the info and option to donate in the link below. 

Anything welcome - Pennies make pounds!

Thank you

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/louise-scarr?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Yimbyprojectpage&utm_content=louise-scarr&utm_campaign=projectpage-share-owner&utm_term=Ej5zZYbQD

Hi millomite, understand what you say and i'm a bit speechless. However, i've already donated and left my comments to show how i feel about the whole situation. Thing is, i'm starting to smell something here. Louise said the last trip cost us £4000. Tell me then how some of the expansionist clubs, with crowds of 300/400, renting stadiums and receiving nothing from beer sales/refreshments etc can afford the outlay? I'm assuming, but maybe I shouldn't, they had a similar outlay? Things just don't seem to add up.

Jack Reacher would say "Hope for the best, plan for the worst. 

Mathematically Toronto could be coming to Craven Park and the money would not be needed.

must admit i am also wondering why the other clubs that have been over there havnt complained as much as us ... wonder what their true costs were? Would be interesting to know??

Wow, just seen £1000 from Ross Estate Agency, bless you and £10 from a couple of lasses from Bradford. This is why I love Rugby league and it's fans.

• Like 1

Ron, you're avin a giraffe.

I think the blurb on the link explains it fully enough. Other clubs may have scraped together exactly the same as we have, but they haven't had to pay winning pay every week the same as us?? We've also had extra games than others with blackpool final and challenge cup run so I'm sure those overheads add up too. So while we would have been ok having played one game over there, playing two seems it is quite literally going to break the bank!!! I don't think Cresta would ask the fans if it wasn't needed. Visas, coach travel, feeding a squad of hungry lads - let's fund them and show them what we can do! York played them at their own game with some clever marketing off field and on field have shown they are not unbeatable! Let's promote our home games to friends and family, get people to the event the supporters are doing for the night of the Toronto game and let's show these wolves who's boss! Make history and be the first upset in Canada! 

If everyone puts in the £10-15 you'd spend on a ticket to a home tie against Toronto we'd be reaching that target by the end of the week. 

Up the Raiders!!!!

Edited by Sportacus!
  • Like 1

Just give them the 2 points ? save the money and move onto the cougars with a fully fit and rested squad. There is no advantage of anyone going to Toronto , especially twice .The RFL cannot enforce semi pro players to take time of work to play and they cant financially punish the Raiders for not being able to field a team. If Toronto want the game that bad  then them and the RFL should stump up the cash.... 

57 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

Just give them the 2 points ? save the money and move onto the cougars with a fully fit and rested squad. There is no advantage of anyone going to Toronto , especially twice .The RFL cannot enforce semi pro players to take time of work to play and they cant financially punish the Raiders for not being able to field a team. If Toronto want the game that bad  then them and the RFL should stump up the cash.... 

But if we defaulted we would not be allowed to be promoted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TMF said:

Hi millomite, understand what you say and i'm a bit speechless. However, i've already donated and left my comments to show how i feel about the whole situation. Thing is, i'm starting to smell something here. Louise said the last trip cost us £4000. Tell me then how some of the expansionist clubs, with crowds of 300/400, renting stadiums and receiving nothing from beer sales/refreshments etc can afford the outlay? I'm assuming, but maybe I shouldn't, they had a similar outlay? Things just don't seem to add up.

Hi tmf. 

I'm not implying the fundraising is ridiculous. It's ridiculous that's it is needed.

The RFL are becoming a joke. Below super league the game is farcical in terms of its structure

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

But if we defaulted we would not be allowed to be promoted.

So what happens if you cant raise 13 players due to work , visa and injuries? cant see how they can punish a team for not been able to full-fill a fixture due to circumstances brought about by themselves. Money is tight across all league one and champ teams  - raising cash from supporters needs to go to something that benefits the club - This clearly will not !!!!

Edited by wonderofwood

I have chipped in a few quid (not actually sure how many dollars!) because I want to help Barrow bring its best team over and give us a great game. I understand there is a huge disparity in the resources available to different teams, and that Barrow got the short end of the stick on scheduling this season in a few ways. Still, it seems unfair to me to blame the Wolfpack for any of Barrow's hardships, or look for a share of their gate or beer revenue, when we're footing the bill for the flights and accomodations for every team that comes to see us. Yes, the RFL caused some issues starting us in L1 but my understanding is that the teams all or mostly wanted that. And if we both get promoted as seems quite possible, be prepared for at least one more visit next season (but we'll also bring you a good home gate!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John WP Fan said:

I have chipped in a few quid (not actually sure how many dollars!) because I want to help Barrow bring its best team over and give us a great game. I understand there is a huge disparity in the resources available to different teams, and that Barrow got the short end of the stick on scheduling this season in a few ways. Still, it seems unfair to me to blame the Wolfpack for any of Barrow's hardships, or look for a share of their gate or beer revenue, when we're footing the bill for the flights and accomodations for every team that comes to see us. Yes, the RFL caused some issues starting us in L1 but my understanding is that the teams all or mostly wanted that. And if we both get promoted as seems quite possible, be prepared for at least one more visit next season (but we'll also bring you a good home gate!).

And that is the crux of the problem mate, lack of decent home games in champ 1, every team should play each other home and away and end the structure as it is now.

• Like 1

See all the keyboard warriors are out slagging us off again

1 hour ago, morty said:

We're pretty thick skinned mort we have taken everything thrown at us, and we're still up there fighting.

The JustGiving page was created by the Barrow Raiders Supporters Trust, not by Barrow Raiders, the club. Although done with the best intentions, the idea would appear to have  backfired somewhat if it reflects badly on the Raiders in the eyes of some supporters of this and other clubs.

We're in the top three, we get more supporters than most other clubs in this league, we won a cup, we got through to the last 16 of the Challenge Cup and we're challenging for promotion. 

The perception that Barrow Raiders are passing round the bucket to pay for this trip (as opposed to it being a supporters' initiative) when other teams with far tighter financial circumstances have had to do so with few complaints makes us look like whingers.

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 2

what a great effort by the supporters to set this up!! 

are the club really that hard up for cash they need the supporters help?if so that is very very worrying. i understand a 2nd trip to Toronto may not have been budgeted for but surely a club of barrow's size shouldnt need help from the supporters for 2k

someone eluded to the club paying out more winning money than others as possibly a reason, surely and im no businessman but it would have been factored into the budget for the year that Barrow would probably win most of their games. 

i hope to god we go over their and give them a hammering but it seems as though the whole trip earlier in the season was turned into 1 big negative, and as such turned out the same on the pitch, seems like the same is also happening with this trip aswell

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

Barrow better get used to it if they want promotion , they could be going to Catalan , Toulouse and Tornoto next year . 

Just said this to someone. Unlikely but could there be the potential to go to all three twice in the league then maybe one of the French teams in the cup. Hope I haven't jinxed it saying that 

14 hours ago, morty said:

its 3 grand not 2 and the supporters have chipped in over 2 grand up to now a great effort by them

wonderofwood raises a good point. What if we couldn't raise a team due to various problems. IE, players not being allowed time off work or they lose their job, or illness such as novovirous, such as happened at the World Athletic Championships this week in London,where the entire German team was struck down, or a dozen other reasons? What would happen if we couldn't raise a squad to travel for whatever reasons? Bearman says we wouldn't be allowed to be promoted. Where does it say that in the rules? 

I'm not saying for one minute that we shouldn't go to Canada, but doesn't that show what a total and utter farce this league is?

And we wonder why our gates have dipped below 1000.