Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wellsy4HullFC

Balkan Super League

14 posts in this topic

Saw on the scrolling news during the prematch that apparently four Greek teams have applied to join the Balkan Super League. How is the league doing in its first year? Must be doing well if another nation has do many teams wanting to join!

8 people like this

13 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Saw on the scrolling news during the prematch that apparently four Greek teams have applied to join the Balkan Super League. How is the league doing in its first year? Must be doing well if another nation has do many teams wanting to join!

I know they have competed all fixtures; which given the geographical spread of the competing teams is pretty impressive. The Serbian teams have dominated it as you would expect, but the Turkish and Bosnian teams involved have given it a real crack and seem to have improved as the competition progressed. I was following it on Facebook but recently decided to get rid of Facebook so I couldn't tell you how the finals series went. My money would be on Red Star though, they are having a hell of a season. 

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, Flagedgetouch said:

I know they have competed all fixtures; which given the geographical spread of the competing teams is pretty impressive. The Serbian teams have dominated it as you would expect, but the Turkish and Bosnian teams involved have given it a real crack and seem to have improved as the competition progressed. I was following it on Facebook but recently decided to get rid of Facebook so I couldn't tell you how the finals series went. My money would be on Red Star though, they are having a hell of a season. 

Was it like a Champions League style comp then? Did they have their usual league too? I've tried to find info on it online and info about the Greek teams joining, but other than the mention on Sky it seems impossible!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Was it like a Champions League style comp then? Did they have their usual league too? I've tried to find info on it online and info about the Greek teams joining, but other than the mention on Sky it seems impossible!

Yeah it was two groups of four with home and away fixtures. As far as I could see they played the matches in blocks alongside their domestic competitions (similar to the champions/challenge cup in union) there is a Facebook page for the comp if you have Facebook. 

Edited by Flagedgetouch

1 minute ago, Flagedgetouch said:

Yeah it was two groups of four with home and away fixtures. As far as I could see they played the matches in blocks alongside their domestic competitions (similar to the champions/challenge cup in union) 

Similar to how I'd like SL to develop if we ever split into an English league and "Others" league.

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Similar to how I'd like SL to develop if we ever split into an English league and "Others" league.

I don't think that is happening any time soon; but Toronto and the interest from elsewhere that has sprung from their success allows us to entertain that possibility. The European competition in union has been a big part of the success of the premiership, pro12 and top 14 competitions. At the moment we lack that extra competition that creates interest further down the league (competing for 'European places') we have tried to replicate it with the 8's system but it's not really worked IMO, and you have to wonder how much influence SKY had over designing the new system. (My guess is a lot.) 

so yeah, if Toronto are followed by several other international teams coming on board and (crucially) replicating their success then a split to a pro12/super rugby style comp alongside the British top flight (including Catalans, Toulouse and possibly a third French club) with a champions league style comp between them would be inherently possible. 

This may be a silly question, but would this league be semi-pro? Would it be comparible to League 1?

it would be good if the challenge cup invited teams from elsewhere in Europe like they used to 10 years ago so we could see how they stack up against UK clubs.

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Edited by Pulga

9 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

This may be a silly question, but would this league be semi-pro? Would it be comparible to League 1?

it would be good if the challenge cup invited teams from elsewhere in Europe like they used to 10 years ago so we could see how they stack up against UK clubs.

You could compare it but it would come out vastly inferior I would think. I imagine the Serbian national team (domestic players) would lose to all the teams in League One, though they might be able to mix it up with South Wales on a good day.

Still think that if these teams want to come over for the cup then it would be a good idea, great test for them and pretty exciting I'm sure plus I bet the amateurs over here would be keen to host them. I'd get the French Elite in as well although I don't know how all of that could be worked out.

Imagine if Olympiacos and Panathinaikos added RL sections to their clubs. It would be well worth watching just for the fans. 

Is there a plan for the league or any if the clubs to turn pro? 

20 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is there a plan for the league or any if the clubs to turn pro? 

We are talking early stage amateur.

At this moment its about putting down solid foundations and providing international representation at amateur level.

1 person likes this

Hopefully this strengthen their national teams, there's a good chance of Serbia qualifying for 2021 but haven't the RLIF or European federation stripped Greece of observer membership?