Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wellsy4HullFC

Knock Ons in Wet Weather

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I know the ball is obviously harder to hold on to in wet weather, but the amount of knock ons recently has been ridiculous. Is it anything to do with the make of ball? I can't remember this many consistent knock ons in all wet weather games.

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I know the ball is obviously harder to hold on to in wet weather, but the amount of knock ons recently has been ridiculous. Is it anything to do with the make of ball? I can't remember this many consistent knock ons in all wet weather games.

There are a lot of accusations about that and the RFL have been discussing with the ball manufacturer ways to make it less slippery in the wet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Wasn't one of the reasons for moving RL to Summer to avoid bad weather and make a better spectacle? Did no-one ever consider the Lancashire Monsoon season?

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely been worse with the rhino balls.  But the RFL can't say no to Rhinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it does make you wonder how the other code manage better in the damp season, all seemed to go #### up when they switched to rhino.....go back to steadon!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or players could improve their handling skills. Remember the balls of the past with no grip at all. They seemed to manage okay then 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This wet weather knock on's narrative is a hot steaming pile of b-s

It's a convenient excuse for shocking level of ball handling and skill by Super league players!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ravens88 said:

This wet weather knock on's narrative is a hot steaming pile of b-s

It's a convenient excuse for shocking level of ball handling and skill by Super league players!!!

The lack of respect for the ball by some players is disgraceful. Phil Clarke was right to point to it yesterday; often they are so obsessed with trying to play the ball quickly or seal-flop that they lose all notion of their obligation to keep hold of the thing.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ravens88 said:

This wet weather knock on's narrative is a hot steaming pile of b-s

It's a convenient excuse for shocking level of ball handling and skill by Super league players!!!

Yes and no.

The weather does make things more difficult, and you would expect to see more errors when the conditions are poor. But too many teams and players just don't seem to adapt at all. There is no excuse for some of the error counts we see when the weather is bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its quite simple.

Dry weather, play dry weather football.

Wet weather. play wet weather football.

Adapt to the conditions.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

The lack of respect for the ball by some players is disgraceful. Phil Clarke was right to point to it yesterday; often they are so obsessed with trying to play the ball quickly or seal-flop that they lose all notion of their obligation to keep hold of the thing.

The seal flopping I regard as a form of cheating, if they cut out that nonsense payers would be able to have quicker PTB's instead of milking penalties.I also abhor players that make contact with opponents when they are released from tackles and do a 180 degree turn, again to milk penalties, Cheating in my eyes as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The aussies dont seem to have the same issue when it pours down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jacksy said:

The aussies dont seem to have the same issue when it pours down. 

The Aussies use Steeden rather than looking to save a few quid.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all good saying "get better at ball handling" or "respect the ball", but when the ball just keeps randomly popping out during the collision, it becomes more of a lottery. It's literally up the jumper stuff to make sure it doesn't slip out.

If we want free flowing rugby, we need a grippier ball that can handle the wet conditions. I don't think this one can, and I don't recall this being much of an issue with the old one.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's all good saying "get better at ball handling" or "respect the ball", but when the ball just keeps randomly popping out during the collision, it becomes more of a lottery. It's literally up the jumper stuff to make sure it doesn't slip out.

If we want free flowing rugby, we need a grippier ball that can handle the wet conditions. I don't think this one can, and I don't recall this being much of an issue with the old one.

I've never played with one of the Rhino balls, so I can't really compare, but the old Steeden balls were excellent. Hardly any difference between wet and dry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The match standard Rhino Balls and the same Steeden balls have equal grip at that level and both cost nearly £70 per ball. And theyre both made in the same factory!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the coaches fault for asking the players to attack the ball in the tackles 

, I've noticed it a lot more, pulling pushing hitting the ball etc, if it was just the ball you'd see players just dropping the ball when catching,

also in the good old days with mitre multiplex balls or leather laced up balls you caught the ball with your arms and chest then moved to your hands, now players catch with their hands, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, barnyia said:

It's the coaches fault for asking the players to attack the ball in the tackles 

, I've noticed it a lot more, pulling pushing hitting the ball etc, if it was just the ball you'd see players just dropping the ball when catching,

also in the good old days with mitre multiplex balls or leather laced up balls you caught the ball with your arms and chest then moved to your hands, now players catch with their hands, 

You told me you were a ball player, Coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I know the ball is obviously harder to hold on to in wet weather, but the amount of knock ons recently has been ridiculous. Is it anything to do with the make of ball? I can't remember this many consistent knock ons in all wet weather games.

I do remember some absolutely dreadful handling when we had those 8 panel balls about 10/15 years ago. They only lasted one season I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd have thought they'd have been used to a wet ball,it's not as though it hardly rains over hear is it?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

You told me you were a ball player, Coach?

Good old days ! Andy Gregory used to do that ! I only became a ball player when I came to France where it's dry lol! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spidey said:

Or players could improve their handling skills. Remember the balls of the past with no grip at all. They seemed to manage okay then 

 

10 hours ago, ravens88 said:

This wet weather knock on's narrative is a hot steaming pile of b-s

It's a convenient excuse for shocking level of ball handling and skill by Super league players!!!

 

10 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The lack of respect for the ball by some players is disgraceful. Phil Clarke was right to point to it yesterday; often they are so obsessed with trying to play the ball quickly or seal-flop that they lose all notion of their obligation to keep hold of the thing.

 

10 hours ago, Padge said:

Its quite simple.

Dry weather, play dry weather football.

Wet weather. play wet weather football.

Adapt to the conditions.

 

1 hour ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

The match standard Rhino Balls and the same Steeden balls have equal grip at that level and both cost nearly £70 per ball. And theyre both made in the same factory!

 

34 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

You'd have thought they'd have been used to a wet ball,it's not as though it hardly rains over hear is it?.

The future is league likes all the above comments

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This discussion happens every season and it's always the balls that are blamed not the players lack of skill or common sense

Knock ons also increase when it's hot wth sweat being blamed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The lack of respect for the ball by some players is disgraceful. Phil Clarke was right to point to it yesterday; often they are so obsessed with trying to play the ball quickly or seal-flop that they lose all notion of their obligation to keep hold of the thing.

Part of the problem is that penalties are given too cheaply, half the time if you lose control of the ball you get a penalty (not a true stat!) - so the risk is worth it. Id like to see the responsibility back firmly on the ball carrier. Might make them focus on the skills a bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Part of the problem is that penalties are given too cheaply, half the time if you lose control of the ball you get a penalty (not a true stat!) - so the risk is worth it. Id like to see the responsibility back firmly on the ball carrier. Might make them focus on the skills a bit more.

By encouraging the responsibility to be back on the ball carrier (something it already is) by giving away less penalties for strips, what you actually promote is safety first, up the jumper rugby. Is that what you want? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Mon 31st July 2017

Rugby League World - August 2017