Padge    2,308

He was rubbish.

• Like 2

tonyXIII    770

He basically ripped off the black blues musicians of the time. He got the money, they got not much. White kids wouldn't dance to black music, but they would dance to a white boy singing a 'jazzed up' version of black music.

"Not my cup of tea" doesn't come close.

• Like 1

Padge    2,308
29 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

He basically ripped off the black blues musicians of the time. He got the money, they got not much. White kids wouldn't dance to black music, but they would dance to a white boy singing a 'jazzed up' version of black music.

Bang on the money there Tony

Edited by Padge

25 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

28 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

yes - there was nothing more to the elvis story than that now you come to mention it- just like the clash were an angry ub40- never mind the charisma- voice- the explotation and tragedy

Saintslass    1,300
2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

40 years since the death of the elvis , songs still sound great today, a true original and never to be replaced - thank you and long live the king.

I remember the day he died.  I was on holiday with my family in Derbyshire at the time.

I loved Elvis.  

33 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

thank god no british pub bands ripped off ska in the 80s and made it big- get  a fennin grip

36 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

you could at least credit him as the most over exploited over worked talented original of our time but I guess not?

Padge    2,308
13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what made elvis rubbish? to you

Over hyped average pub karaoke singer. 

He was used to be the white face of black music, he wasn't there for his talent he was there for being a pretty boy who could sell black music to white kids, while the really talented black musicians were kept hidden.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

He was used to be the white face of black music, he wasn't there for his talent he was there for being a pretty boy who could sell black music to white kids, while the really talented black musicians were kept hidden.

a bit like eminiem?

Robin Evans    777

Lots liked him. He still has an amazing following.....

I'm not amongst them. That's music. 

Some music you like. Some you don't. C'est la vie

Edited by Robin Evans

terrywebbisgod    1,373
8 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

a bit like eminiem?

Exactly like Eminem.The white face of a black music genre.

Surely UB40 were a mellow version of the clash,given that they were around first. 

Elvis never did it for me but each to their own.

Johnoco    3,347

So basically Elvis shouldn't have bothered as he was just ripping off black musicians? And what would have been the benefit of that? Things like RnR eased social integration and this was a huge part of that.

Elvis whilst not a favourite of mine, was a terrific singer and when he emerged really shook things up.

• Like 1

Tongs ya bas    651

He was good until he came out of the army. The rest of his career was spent by colonel Tom Parker milking what had been created, especially his ghastly films. Never has the law of diminishing returns been put to such good use.

As for ripping black musicians off, i don't think so. Their music gained wider recognition and black musicians such as chuck berry, little richard, bo diddley and fats domino were able to have careers. What was Presley and those who followed him supposed to do, not perform and record these songs? 

• Like 2

terrywebbisgod    1,373
31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

So basically Elvis shouldn't have bothered as he was just ripping off black musicians? And what would have been the benefit of that? Things like RnR eased social integration and this was a huge part of that.

Elvis whilst not a favourite of mine, was a terrific singer and when he emerged really shook things up.

If he hadn't have bothered there would have been no Cliff Richard.

Elvis has a lot to answer for!☺

• Like 1

Mister Ting    25
12 hours ago, Padge said:

I thought Bill Haley came before Mr Presley. I do agree he was the white boy's version of real rock and roll. But then later rock was also a rip off of black music. Most rock fans don't get that.

All white boy rock is just sh#te rock and roll.

Tongs ya bas    651
14 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

If he hadn't have bothered there would have been no Cliff Richard.

Elvis has a lot to answer for!☺

Cliff Richard was a great rock and roll singer. Move It is a brilliant record.

• Like 1

Tongs ya bas    651
17 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

I thought Bill Haley came before Mr Presley. I do agree he was the white boy's version of real rock and roll. But then later rock was also a rip off of black music. Most rock fans don't get that.

All white boy rock is just sh#te rock and roll.

Haley had been around for years. He and others latched on to the rock and roll craze when they saw an opportunity. Nobody gets 'ripped off' if royalties are paid. Black musicians got the recognition and financial rewards because white musicians brought their music to the public's attention, something as a lover of blues r n'b and soul I'm personally grateful for. Some of the most idolised people in rock and roll are black.

Edited by Tongs ya bas

Mister Ting    25
5 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Haley had been around for years. He and others latched on to the rock and roll craze when they saw an opportunity.

Bill Haley saw "race music", rhythm and blues for what it was. As you say, an opportunity.

BTW wasn't the term "rock and roll" first used in 1948?

Edited by Mister Ting

longboard    960
9 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Cliff Richard was a great rock and roll singer. Move It is a brilliant record.

And Chris lobs one high to the back of the court...

Bearman    2,036

I think you have to look at it through the eyes of history. In the 1950s-60s he was hugely popular and influential. 

All of the British pop stars looked to him as a role model. Bily Fury, Marty Wilde, Cliff Richard and co copied his style. Even the later Beatles, Tom Jones and Engleberts payed homage to him.

Its all very well being revisionist but "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there"

Some of his later work ,songs like  In the Ghetto, Suspicious Mind, have certainly held up well.

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 2