Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

Aussie politics

Has it gone as crazy as it appears?

2 Green MP's resign because they inadvertently broke rule (section?) 44 of the constitution, which is that only 100% Australian citizens can be an MP.  No duel passports/citizenship allowed.  

Some MP's jumped on this, saying how bad it was but those are the rules, its black and white, etc, etc.

Those MP's now appear to have broken the same rules but are now refusing to resign?

Do the Green Mp's have more integrity?  Is it just a mess in such an immigrant country?  Why blame New Zealand for it?

• Like 2

One of them, seemingly, didn't know that his mother had arranged Italian citizenship for all her kids. I could believe that because I know Italy is keen to sign up any potential citizens with Italian heritage and they have MPs in the Italian Parliament representing different areas of the Italian diaspora.

It's just poor attention to detail. 

Oh, and I definitely blame NZ. But we have a lot of people in Parliament who were born O/S. 26% of Australians were born outside OZ and another 25% have parents born outside OZ so there's a lot of "eligibility" for dual citizenship. That's part of the problem. The Constitution says "eligibility" not actual citizenship.

Belgium

Senator Mathias Cormann

Canada

Senator Larissa Waters

Egypt

MP Anne Aly

Germany

Senator Eric Abetz

Greece

MP Maria Vamvakinou

Iran

Senator Sam Dastyari

India

Senator Malcolm Roberts

Italy

MP Tony Zappia

Malaysia

Senator Penny Wong

New Zealand

Senator Derryn Hinch

Senator Scott Ludlam

Nigeria

MP Sussan Ley

Singapore

MP Ian Goodenough

Senator Peter Whish-Wilson

United Kingdom

MP Tony Abbott

Senator Doug Cameron

MP Paul Fletcher

Senator Alexander Gallacher

Senator Nick McKim

MP Brian Mitchell

MP Brendan O'Connor

Senator Nigel Scullion

MP Josh Wilson

MP Rebekha Sharkie

Kenya

Lucy Gichuhi

• Like 1

After Brexit, I found out that I was an Irish citizen.  At least according to the Irish Government.  

My Mum was born in Ireland, so though I thought I would have to apply for Irish citizenship, I actually did not.

Presumably, this was not a rule people had previously given much attention to.

10 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

After Brexit, I found out that I was an Irish citizen.  At least according to the Irish Government.  

My Mum was born in Ireland, so though I thought I would have to apply for Irish citizenship, I actually did not.

Presumably, this was not a rule people had previously given much attention to.

Lucky get

3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Lucky get

My saving are on USD, my home and pension in Danish kroner and my new passport is Irish.

It is enough to turn any turn in Brexit  tragedy into a comedy.  A dark one.

26 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Has there ever been an indigenous prime minister or top end government minister?

Never been an Indigenous PM, G-G or State Premier or State Governor. There have been 22 Indigenous members of the NT Parliament which is quite a lot given the NT Parliament only has 25 seats and has only existed since 1974 and NT is only 15% Aboriginals.

6 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Never been an Indigenous PM, G-G or State Premier or State Governor. There have been 22 Indigenous members of the NT Parliament which is quite a lot given the NT Parliament only has 25 seats and has only existed since 1974 and NT is only 15% Aboriginals.

what are your thoughts on that?

I worked with one Indigenous Senator, Aiden Ridgway, on the board of the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre and he was OK. Aboriginal issues are handled very poorly by Governments, with most policies being knee-jerk, stop-gap, white-guilt-motivated reactions, rather than any nuanced analysis, foresight and planning. There are 2 fundamental mistakes in Indigenous policy:

- the soft bigotry of lowered expectations. Bleeding hearts jump in and complain at every external intervention even when there is demonstrated evidence of rampant child sexual abuse. Media won't even print stories about these situations because it "makes Indigenous people look bad." The result: the next generation of teenage suicides and pregnancies with many babies suffering alcohol foetal syndrome and spending their lives with an IQ of about 50. 90% school dropout rates by the age of 15, people killed in domestic violence incidents and nobody ever being held responsible because that would be applying colonial mores without any cultural appreciation.

- the tendency to see Indigenous people as one amorphous blob, suitable for National, one-size-fits-all policies. Many communities can't even speak to a community 200km away because their languages are so different. They live in rainforests, on coasts, in Sydney suburbs, in the desert and on small islands off the coast so issues are different from one community to the next. Some communities are very functional with high school attendance, low levels of violence, high workforce participation and low levels of substance abuse. This is a good one:  https://east-arnhem.squarespace.com/

Others have alcoholism and substance abuse levels of about 90% of the adult population, 100% unemployment, endless domestic abuse and child sexual abuse.

There's currently a Coronial Inquest into youth suicides among Indigenous teens in Western Australia, including 5 aged under 13:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-15/drugs-partying-in-lead-up-to-suicide-of-12-year-old/8808852

• Like 2

Its amusing how the reactions of the main parties has changed.  When it was just 2 greens involved, the response was very much 'rules are rules, its unfortunate but its black and white, etc.  Now every party seems to be involved, people are slightly more circumspect!  Suggestions that the constitution is an ambition rather than a hard and fast rule book.

The Constitution was written at a time when all Australians would have been British citizens anyway. Everyone old enough to sit in the first Parliament would have been a British citizen. I guess Britain wasn't classed as a foreign power back then.

44. Any person who -

(i.) Is under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power: or

Another one:

Influential crossbench senator Nick Xenophon has announced he will refer his election to the High Court after discovering he has a form of British citizenship.

Senator Xenophon's father, Theodoros Xenophou, is from Cyprus, which was a British colony until 1960.

But Mr Xenophou retained a form of British citizenship — and passed it onto his son — because Australia is one of only nine countries which allowed him to keep it.

Speaking outside a British pub in Adelaide, Senator Xenophon said the UK Home Office had confirmed that made him a British overseas citizen, meaning he may be ineligible to sit in Parliament. It seems that being born in Australia, according to the 1948 UK legislation, makes me a colonial pom, something that has stunned me and my 86-year-old father," he said.

Senator Xenophon said his citizenship status was "a colonial peculiarity" and British overseas citizenship was nothing more than a form of "third-class citizenship".

It's an unintended consequence of multiculturalism. Once upon a time you were a citizen of where you were born or you got the citizenship of your parents, if they were temporarily out of their home country. If you took up one citizenship, it automatically cancelled any previous citizenship(s). Once you extend it to the "one grandparent" rule, in a country where 50% of the population has at least 1 migrant grandparent, it can get messy. All my grandparents were born here so I've never had the option of being anything but Australian. Maybe I should run?

14 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

It's an unintended consequence of multiculturalism. Once upon a time you were a citizen of where you were born or you got the citizenship of your parents, if they were temporarily out of their home country. If you took up one citizenship, it automatically cancelled any previous citizenship(s). Once you extend it to the "one grandparent" rule, in a country where 50% of the population has at least 1 migrant grandparent, it can get messy. All my grandparents were born here so I've never had the option of being anything but Australian. Maybe I should run?

You might be the only one eligible.

18 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

You might be the only one eligible.

I'm not eligible.

Section 44 (iv.) Holds any office of profit under the Crown, or any pension payable during the pleasure of the Crown out of any of the revenues of the Commonwealth: or

• Like 1

Finally sorted out 1 non-Australian in Parliament. Just 8 more to go now.

One Nation Senator Malcolm Roberts was a citizen of the United Kingdom by descent at the time of his nomination, the High Court has found.

Justice Patrick Keane said in his findings that Senator Roberts knew he did not become an Australian citizen until 1974.

"I find that, as at the date of his nomination for the Senate, he knew that there was at least a real and substantial prospect that prior to May 1974 he had been and remained thereafter a citizen of the United Kingdom," he wrote.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-22/malcolm-roberts-was-uk-citizen-at-time-of-nomination-high-court/8975716

In other political news Down Under, former PM Tony Abbott was headbutted by a member of the public in Tasmania yesterday. We are currently having a national vote on gay marriage and Abbott has always been a vocal anti-gay spokesperson. But, surprisingly, the headbutt was unrelated.

" A 38-year-old Hobart DJ charged with assaulting former prime minister Tony Abbott says he is a lone anarchist that "felt the need to headbutt Tony Abbott because I didn't think it was an opportunity I'd get again".

I'm glad they knocked Roberts out. He was on the KKK side of UKIP and a Climate Science denier.

On 22/09/2017 at 12:46 PM, Farmduck said:

I'm glad they knocked Roberts out. He was on the KKK side of UKIP and a Climate Science denier.

Is he the one who denies that the GBR is being decimated? If so good.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Someone called Macklemore is playing the grand final and has caused a section of Aussie society to have a melt down about the gays.

Snowflakes.

• Like 2