I just get the feeling the NRL will drag its feet as usual and nothing will actually happen. Mr Greenburg along with the Clubs, do not seem to really want to expand the comp. If they were really looking to have a team in Perth (and elsewhere) then they would be looking for interested parties and seeing if they can look to build a Club ready to come in to the comp in 2022. I just get the impression that will not happening and some excuse will come up why the comp will stay at 16 for many years beyond 2022.

Hands up who thinks they'll just increase the number of on-the-road NRL games in Perth from 2 to 3-4 per year, then sit back and say to themselves "job done".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Following the closure of Western Force the NRL were under pressure to make a statement of intent.

But this weak and unambitious fluff kicks Perth  well into the long grass.

And to think Sky used to use  "seize the day"  as their Rugby League theme music !

Go to Western Australia for what?   It's not rugby territory.  AFL pulls in 35,000 every week for two different teams.  The Rabbitohs were drawing reasonable crowds a few years ago for the one home game-a-year gimmick but now it's Manly and one other, that number has crashed.  It's not as simple a case as "they like us as an occasional product and the 12,000 who went to watch Western Force will come to see us".

The Western/Perth Reds ran up ridiculous debts even before they joined Super League.  They've had this under-18s team in the SG Ball cup under a couple of different names for 10-ish years.  There's just no real clamour for it.

3 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Go to Western Australia for what?   It's not rugby territory.  AFL pulls in 35,000 every week for two different teams.  The Rabbitohs were drawing reasonable crowds a few years ago for the one home game-a-year gimmick but now it's Manly and one other, that number has crashed.  It's not as simple a case as "they like us as an occasional product and the 12,000 who went to watch Western Force will come to see us".

The Western/Perth Reds ran up ridiculous debts even before they joined Super League.  They've had this under-18s team in the SG Ball cup under a couple of different names for 10-ish years.  There's just no real clamour for it.

The games in Perth always pull 15K+ unlike a number of games in Sydney which struggle to get 10k! Cronulla- the reigning premiers even had a crowd of under 8000 this year! Simply too many Sydney teams. Look at the averages for 2016 for example and most of the worst averages are by Sydney based teams while the best are by one city teams Brisbane and Melbourne. Perth has a lot potential, but needs to be run properly unlike last time. A Perth team offers far more than a Sydney team to TV Contracts and Sponsorship etc. We have more players playing the game in WA than ever before. There is an interest in it as why would Souths, Manly etc take games there and get bigger crowds than at home?

55 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

The games in Perth always pull 15K+ unlike a number of games in Sydney which struggle to get 10k! Cronulla- the reigning premiers even had a crowd of under 8000 this year! Simply too many Sydney teams. Look at the averages for 2016 for example and most of the worst averages are by Sydney based teams while the best are by one city teams Brisbane and Melbourne. Perth has a lot potential, but needs to be run properly unlike last time. A Perth team offers far more than a Sydney team to TV Contracts and Sponsorship etc. We have more players playing the game in WA than ever before. There is an interest in it as why would Souths, Manly etc take games there and get bigger crowds than at home?

They don't always pull 15K+, the Manly/Warriors game this year was 6,250.  Souths/Melbourne was 11,000.  Perth Glory have outdrawn that in the A-League.  Maybe holding two games there has killed the golden goose a little but when you're getting a lower cumulative attendance in 2017 than you were for one game in 2015, surely something has gone a little awry?

12 hours ago, bbfaz said:

Well, easy way to sort that but it's a shame that NRL is allergic to promotion and relegation.

If only.

They could be as strong as English rugby league.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On August 18, 2017 at 7:05 AM, bbfaz said:

They don't always pull 15K+, the Manly/Warriors game this year was 6,250.  Souths/Melbourne was 11,000.  Perth Glory have outdrawn that in the A-League.  Maybe holding two games there has killed the golden goose a little but when you're getting a lower cumulative attendance in 2017 than you were for one game in 2015, surely something has gone a little awry?

I think you will find that it was raining in both games, if not torrential rain.

Amazing that you could just substitute Coventry or Cornwall at one end Wigan and Oxford at the other and you wouldn't know it from one of Parky's attempts to rid the world of TGG lebensraum!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 24/08/2017 at 7:21 AM, The Future is League said:

Nrl fans nominate any club except their own for relocation. How noble 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

13 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Hopefully laying the ground work for a future NRL club in Perth, but with the games past history in Australia i wouldn't hold my breath.

So they merge two foundation NSWRL clubs into an always-shaky joint venture, which is basically Balmain, and now they want to remove that franchise and move the whole operation to Perth?

As I said, there is a problem. The AFL has far bigger crowds, it runs on a franchise system.  Here's an idea, let's demerge these stupid merger clubs, go back to how it was and have teams earn their place at the top table on sporting merit.  Establish a national second division and have flexible state championships below.

On 2 September 2017 at 0:01 PM, bbfaz said:

So they merge two foundation NSWRL clubs into an always-shaky joint venture, which is basically Balmain, and now they want to remove that franchise and move the whole operation to Perth?

As I said, there is a problem. The AFL has far bigger crowds, it runs on a franchise system.  Here's an idea, let's demerge these stupid merger clubs, go back to how it was and have teams earn their place at the top table on sporting merit.  Establish a national second division and have flexible state championships below.

Can't ever see a national second division in Australia when you have a strong Queensland cup and NSW cup.

5 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Can't ever see a national second division in Australia when you have a strong Queensland cup and NSW cup.

Indeed.

It would be an utterly stupid idea.

The "sporting merit" idea is great, as long as you are not selling a competition of a TV network.  Those that want this concept should certainly not want their clubs entering a competition such as the Super League or the NRL, when the main basis is a TV product rather than sporting merit.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 2/9/2017 at 1:01 PM, bbfaz said:

On 23/8/2017 at 11:34 PM, bbfaz said:

It's not about English RL, it's about NRL. Do keep up!

Notice the irony about pushing your pet bore into the thread.

email I sent to the NRL a little bit back

"

Subject: Expansion
Comments:
With the Western Force has expelled from the Super Rugby would this not be an opportunity to consider giving them an option in the NRL, even if its only a "Guest" stint for a few years to see if they could establish themselves.
They already have :
1: A recognised brand
2: A supporter base disgruntled with ARU who might support a NRL team through spite.
3: Merchandise already to go with the removal and replacement of the ARU logo
4: A Home ground and training facilities.
5: A city with corporate support through the mining industry

All they need is a playing roster and a coach.

It just so happens the PNG Hunters who finished on top of the table in the QRL are the only team which is not a feeder to a NRL team. PNG will probably never have a NRL side since their dollar value is low compared to the Aussie dollar and for safety reasons for sides visiting that nation.

A PNG Hunters/ Western Force partnership would create a clear path for players from PNG who has a population similar to New Zealand and is the only nation on earth where Rugby League is the number one sport.

There are plenty of NRL players in England who I am sure would love to come back to Australia, not to mention guys in the Force like Curtis Rona who has played NRL before and other ARU players who have been squeezed out of the NRL clubs in the past for salary cap reasons.

Geoff Toovey a premiership winning coach is in Bradford at the moment after problems with his visa stopped him from coaching the side most of the season. I'm sure he is looking for a return to the NRL.

I understand the NRL likes to plan things far in advance, which of course makes sense but sometimes when opportunity knocks it is a good idea to consider answering."

Their response. 

"Hi Brad,

Thanks for your email.

Whilst there are no immediate plans to expand the number of NRL clubs in the Telstra Premiership, Rugby League remains a popular sport in Western Australia and the NRL will continue to invest and provide growth opportunities for fans and players alike throughout the State.

The two NRL matches in Perth this year have been well attended and there is building excitement ahead of a confirmed Holden State of Origin match in 2019 at the new Perth Stadium.

Perth will also host a double-header match in November as part of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, expanding the game and city to new national and international audiences.

Off the field, the NRL is continuing to invest in player wellbeing and facilities throughout WA. For instance, the Government of Western Australia and the NRL announced a two-year partnership to invest and promote the NRL’s State of Mind program to every junior rugby league club throughout the State. The NRL and Government also continue to offer facility upgrade grants in WA via the game's National Footy Facilities Fund which is a dedicated funding program to support continued growth and participation of our game at all levels across States and Territories beyond the Origin strongholds of Queensland and NSW.

All that said, we certainly acknowledge that there is always more to be done and we are committed to ensuring the game goes from strength to strength in the years ahead so thanks again for writing to the NRL.

I have passed on your feedback and your comments have been registered.

Kind regards,

Tayla
Supporter Liaison"

Archived