Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Cas set to play in World Club Series

walter sobchak    956
12 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

SL website says league leaders will qualify for next years WCS. Where will Cas play? Can't see them playing at the jungle

Leeds, Huddersfield or Barnsley perhaps??

flyingking    542

I would not want Castleford to play anywhere else apart from the Jungle. The World Club Series is not about making money, it is a reward for having a successful season. The fans are an essential part of that success so should be able to share equally in that, forcing them to go to Elland Road or the Keepmoat Stadium would dilute the whole experience. Also Castleford will know their best chance of beating the NRL side is playing in front of a packed crowd creating a cracking atmosphere.

• Like 11

Old Frightful    3,125

This is an interesting announcement from the RFL.

I sincerely hope it's nothing to do with Hull FC and Wigan playing in Australia early 2018.

Wellsy4HullFC    1,589
13 minutes ago, flyingking said:

I would not want Castleford to play anywhere else apart from the Jungle. The World Club Series is not about making money, it is a reward for having a successful season. The fans are an essential part of that success so should be able to share equally in that, forcing them to go to Elland Road or the Keepmoat Stadium would dilute the whole experience. Also Castleford will know their best chance of beating the NRL side is playing in front of a packed crowd creating a cracking atmosphere.

But there has to be minimum standards, surely? The Jungle barely scrapes into SL standards. I'd fully expect them to take it somewhere else. The competition itself should demand it to be honest.

If it's the WCC, then surely it'd be at a much bigger ground anyway. 

• Like 3

Gates1    696
38 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

SL website says league leaders will qualify for next years WCS. Where will Cas play? Can't see them playing at the jungle

Think Steve Gill said a few weeks back that if we qualify for it through LLS we will play it ato Wheldon Road.  That said I would assume if we were to win the GF it may be held elsewhere.

Lowdesert    733
28 minutes ago, flyingking said:

From a winning point of view, playing at Cas is the venue.  We want to win.  Nothing less.

jpmc    124

Aren't the home team required to pay a hefty chunk of money to the Aussie team? If that's the  case it would be madness to take the game to another stadium 

• Like 1

Scubby    5,051
52 minutes ago, flyingking said:

But if it is for the World Club Championship then it wouldn't be acceptable IMO. A regular WCS game then fair enough but not the flagship club fixture in our sport.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

But if it is for the World Club Championship then it wouldn't be acceptable IMO. A regular WCS game then fair enough but not the flagship club fixture in our sport.

IMO World Club challenge games should be played at a neutral venue, like when Leeds used to play them at elland road.

would be an experience for the aussies going to Wheldon road though 

Padge    2,308

Sorry but Wheldon Jungle Whatever Stadium should not be even considered for a prestigious RL event. It shouldn't get on the discussion list of possible venues.

• Like 2

snapski    386
1 minute ago, Padge said:

Sorry but Wheldon Jungle Whatever Stadium should not be even considered for a prestigious RL event. It shouldn't get on the discussion list of possible venues.

Well it is, so suck it up.

• Like 4

Padge    2,308
Just now, snapski said:

Well it is, so suck it up.

Well its a disgrace, so suck that up.

It may be a battered old venue, but it still looks fantastic when jam packed. A call back to an earlier age maybe before all these soulless identikit stadiums started going up, with the kind of atmosphere the Aussies will have never experienced. I'd understand if they move it elsewhere but it would be fabulous if they dont

• Like 5

Davc1h    67
34 minutes ago, Padge said:

Well its a disgrace, so suck that up.

Perhaps we should ask a 3rd division football team if we could play at "their" ground????

• Like 1

yipyee    376
42 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

IMO World Club challenge games should be played at a neutral venue, like when Leeds used to play them at elland road.

would be an experience for the aussies going to Wheldon road though 

Ellend road is hardly neutral....

yipyee    376
3 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

Perhaps we should ask a 3rd division football team if we could play at "their" ground????

What's wrong with Wigans ground?

Huddersfield and hull were 3rd division not long ago....

These are 3 stadia we use for our flagship international matches!!!

Coventry are 4th tier! 

Pritty sure both Sheffield were 3rd tier until recently...

yipyee    376
26 minutes ago, UxbridgeBunny said:

It may be a battered old venue, but it still looks fantastic when jam packed. A call back to an earlier age maybe before all these soulless identikit stadiums started going up, with the kind of atmosphere the Aussies will have never experienced. I'd understand if they move it elsewhere but it would be fabulous if they dont

A lot of old stadiums were very similar! 

(Cas looks like saints old ground!)

Only thing is most have had amendments or knocked down totally while the few that remain are seen as authentic.

Think of a classic car at one point they were the norm...now they stand out against modern better equipped cars that are safer and more comfy, they may take you back to yesteryear but they leak in the rain, can be dangerous and are certainly not comfy! They also cost a fortune in constant maintenance! 

Padge    2,308
11 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

Perhaps Cas should find a a modern home and stop playing in an utter $h!th0l3

Padge    2,308

I propose we take the Challenge Cup to Odsal, stuff Wembley, lets go to a proper RL ground where we can get over 100,000 in.

Davc1h    67
Just now, Padge said:

Perhaps Cas should find a a modern home and stop playing in "their" utter $h!th0l3

Corrected for you.

I would be happy to move it to a more modern ground, if we could pick one with an atmosphere.

Fraid Wigans out then.

BTW I know the Jungle is clapped out and not fit for purpose. But it's all we have at present.☹️☹️

Padge    2,308
1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Wheldon Road is a piece of League heritage. Every square inch of its soil is soaked with it.

Of course it should be played there. Why is this even in question?

Because its an embarrassment to hold a prestigious event in a dump.

• Like 1

Padge    2,308
1 minute ago, Davc1h said:

Corrected for you.

I would be happy to move it to a more modern ground, if we could pick one with an atmosphere.

Fraid Wigans out then.

BTW I know the Jungle is clapped out and not fit for purpose. But it's all we have at present.☹️☹️

That does not mean it is fit to hold one of the sports most prestigious games.

Shouldn't even be on the radar.