Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Cas set to play in World Club Series

Just now, Padge said:

That does not mean it is fit to hold one of the sports most prestigious games.

Shouldn't even be on the radar.

But it's on the radar because it is Cas's ground and it's a home game.

Unless we can "find" a modern ground in the next 6 months or so.

No it isn't. And *if* it is a "dump" it still looks ok to everyone else watching on broadcast.

Or, alternatively, stick the match in a rented massive ground, miles away, which will be full of empty seats.

That "embarrassment" has been trodden by legends. It's a great send off.

Addendum: I sincerely hope that the Cas bigwigs are going to move the turf to the new stadium.

• Like 1

Just now, Davc1h said:

But it's on the radar because it is Cas's ground and it's a home game.

Unless we can "find" a modern ground in the next 6 months or so.

There are numerous modern grounds in the nearby area. 

How does the game expect anyone to take the WCC seriously when we treat as just a home game? Its like playing the GF at a clubs ground and wondering why nobody takes any notice of it. 

Its not particularly a criticism of Cas, other clubs are just as guilty but its just another of example how the game has lowered its ambition to nothing much more than existing. 

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

There are numerous modern grounds in the nearby area. 

How does the game expect anyone to take the WCC seriously when we treat as just a home game? Its like playing the GF at a clubs ground and wondering why nobody takes any notice of it. 

Its not particularly a criticism of Cas, other clubs are just as guilty but its just another of example how the game has lowered its ambition to nothing much more than existing. 

I agree entirely with regards to WCC.

That's not what the thread is about though is it?

As stated earlier, I would be open to moving a WCS game but is has to be the right financial decision for the club.

4 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

As stated earlier, I would be open to moving a WCS game but is has to be the right financial decision for the club.

I think it applies to the WCS as much as the WCC. 

We are only a couple of years in to it but we have already managed to portray the WCS as not much to bother with, a bit of a money grab for the clubs which get there. its no wonder it has not only failed to build prestige but lost whatever attraction it had.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davc1h said:

It bugs me that decisions like this are being taken because clubs are having to take the financial risk - of course they will take the safer option. These events should be centrally funded by SLE and the risk and benefits shared with minimum standards applied.

Its sad that 15 years ago we were seeing neutral venues like Bolton, Hudds and Elland Rd and now they are just home games.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Padge said:

Sorry but Wheldon Jungle Whatever Stadium should not be even considered for a prestigious RL event. It shouldn't get on the discussion list of possible venues.

Of course it should be considered - it's our home ground you plank

I'd have no real problem with staging WCS games at home grounds as they are nothing but pre season friendlies. 

But I never agreed with playing the WCC just at home grounds. I agree with the earlier point about how with have lowered the bar in this sport.

I'd have thought the costs involved in a move to a neutral ground for this game could be covered by the corporate hospitality they could sell off the back of it, if they plan it correctly. Because they can't sell a half decent corporate hospitality at the dump that is the jungle 

9 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Wheldon Road is a piece of League heritage. Every square inch of its soil is soaked with it.

Of course it should be played there. Why is this even in question?

Quite so. Cas should apply  for Heritage Lottery funding to improve this museum piece. Might even attract lots of American history-loving tourists looking for Yorkshire's version of a Lowry experience.  Yorkshire tourist authority is on the case already. ?

seriously, though, if Cas want to play at Wheldon Rd, so be it. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

It bugs me that decisions like this are being taken because clubs are having to take the financial risk - of course they will take the safer option. These events should be centrally funded by SLE and the risk and benefits shared with minimum standards applied.

Its sad that 15 years ago we were seeing neutral venues like Bolton, Hudds and Elland Rd and now they are just home games.

This is why we need a national stadium!

13 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I thought the move to neutral venues a few years ago was to do with under-soil heating?!

That was full of hot air!

If the game was moved to a bigger venue would many of the non cas fans on here attend? Personally I've always treated the WCC as another 'event and attend whenever I can no matter who's playing. I'm certainly more excited about seeing this cas side play a top NRL side than the likes of Leeds or Wigan again. I'd like to think a minimum of 10k 'neutral' fans would potentially go, hopefully Cas could sell 15k+ themselves for a one off game which could then about fill the medium sized northern grounds. Is that realistic? 

Whichever aussie club comes over will have to set their clocks back 35 years! And obviously shorten their kicks! Much like the World Cup this is our game in the UK setting its stall out on the international stage, wouldn't everyone involved want it to look its best? 

I completely agree a packed out Jungle has a great atmosphere etc, but whats more important, 9000 fans experience on the night, or the image of our game nationally and globally? Its a really difficult question which I'm not sure there is a right answer to.

If it was a World Club Challenge I think Cas would drive more neutrals to the game than an average one. It would be history in the making. They could easily get 20k to Huddersfield and also sell a lot of corporate hospitality in modern settings. Could you have imagined the ridicule the game would have got in 1989 had Widnes played Canberra at Naughton Park? They aimed high and got 30k. If Leeds are in the WCS then an Elland Road double header is also a possibility.

If it was a WCS game and Cas wanted to play at home then that is okay IMO. They are just friendlies. Why do we always want to belittle our big occasions and not trust ourselves to create them? Insular thinking. 

11 hours ago, Padge said:

That does not mean it is fit to hold one of the sports most prestigious games.

Shouldn't even be on the radar.

Well it is being used. And the fact it's winding folk up makes it even better.

• Like 1

Who cares what people think or say, if Cas are wanting it at the jungle it should be there. People who slag that ground off obviously don't go to games there because although they already know they need a new stadium, the atmosphere there is second to none. The aussie players will love playing in that atmosphere too. Let the Cas fans have their moment and let them have it at home where it should be. It's one of my favourite grounds to go to as it's a reminder to what rugby league is, think these snobs need to get off their high horse because their councils have managed to get their clubs in shiny stadiums. I'm not a cas fan but love the place (jungle that is haha)

Edited by thepimp007
  • Like 2

Having seen Leeds play WCC games at both Elland Road and Headingley,Cas would be daft not to play their game at the jungle.

I don't buy the "showcase for SL" line.

It's about giving your club the best opportunity to win.

The atmosphere at a packed out Jungle adds that and also adds to the coffers of the club,rather than having to fork out to hire a soccer ground.

4 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Having seen Leeds play WCC games at both Elland Road and Headingley,Cas would be daft not to play their game at the jungle.

I don't buy the "showcase for SL" line.

It's about giving your club the best opportunity to win.

The atmosphere at a packed out Jungle adds that and also adds to the coffers of the club,rather than having to fork out to hire a soccer ground.

They have to guarantee the NRL club circa £175,000 for the fixture IIRC so how is it going to add to the coffers of the club with a stadium limit of 10k, only a couple of thousand seats and no (or little) corporate?

Edited by Scubby

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

They have to guarantee the NRL club circa £175,000 for the fixture IIRC so how is it going to add to the coffers of the club with a stadium limit of 10k, only a couple of thousand seats and no corporate?

And the cost of hiring a soccer ground.Extra security etc,etc.

You mooted a double header at Elland Road IF Leeds were to qualify.

Do you think Leeds stopped playing their games at Elland Road because they MADE money playing there?