Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

17 Aug: Super 8s: Castleford Tigers v Wakefield Trinity KO 8pm (TV)

Recommended Posts

snapski    386

Who'd have thought at the start of this season this would be the biggest game in the 3rd round of the super 8s. With one team top and going for lls, and the other sitting 4th. 

Ha ha. Oh my word. 

Draw 24 each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitley one not to miss on Thursday night if you're a Cas or Wakey fan.

A repeat of the game at Belle Vue a few weeks back would be ideal but with a Wakey win this time.

But.  Cas on the verge of confirming League Leader Shield, massive home support, Eden & Moors back in the squad.  Most Cas fans on their forum think it's a formality.

Surely it couldn't get any worse for Trin?  Oh yes it can:  James Child in charge!

 

Wakey with 16 start I believe?  I would hope we're better than that!

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roy Boy    177

Cas will have eyes on the shield at their peril! I can see Wakey pushing this all the way and even postponing the inevitable for another week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OMEGA    351

Highly emotionally energised night for Castleford, they'll be desperate to reward their fans with a win against the old enemy and lift the shield at Wheldon Rd.

That might lift them to new heights or it might stifle their fluency and have them snatching at things they'd normally take in their stride.

Wakefield will play their part and will make it tough for the Cas players and nervous for their fans.

IMO we'll see Castleford at their best and win their first Championship!

Cas 27 

Wakefield 14

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MZH    259

Cas will be in party mode, and that could work either way. They know the job is done for now, and against a highly motivated and confident Wakefield I think the party might get put on hold for another week (or day, because I think Saints will beat Leeds). 

From a selfish Hull POV I hope Cas win and give us a little bit more breathing space for the 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gates1    696

Win, lose or draw I can't wait.  Should be a cracking atmosphere and good game, with the possibility of celebrating the LLS at the end of it!

Regardless of the result it provides an opportunity for me to fully appreciate how far Cas have come!

Relegation in 2006.  

More recently (2013) a dreary home drubbing at the hands of Huddersfield in front of a mere 3000 fans, whilst a week away from administration.  The tipping point which led to the hapless coach been sacked and the beginning of a resurgence...

To playing to seal the LLS  in front of a capacity 11500 (with 4 games to spare!).

"♪I don't believe you your making it up♬"

Edited by Gates1
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OMEGA    351
9 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Didn't realise it was the grand final ?

The clues in the name of the trophy/Shield

Top of the table = CHAMPIONSHIP Shield

Grand Final Winners = Super League Trophy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

The clues in the name of the trophy/Shield

Top of the table = CHAMPIONSHIP Shield

Grand Final Winners = Super League Trophy

Castleford will be awarded the League Leader's Shield.

The Championship Shield looks likely to go to Toulouse

http://www.rugby-league.com/kingstone_press_leagues/league_tables

The Super League Trophy is awarded to the Super League Champions who win the Grand Final at Old Trafford.

Lots of kudos for Cas for the season they've had + £100 000, which is not to be sniffed at, but champions they are not (yet).

Wakefield have 2 stars on their shirt to represent their 2 championship wins in 1967 & 1968. Leeds were league leaders in both those years.

Warrington and Huddersfield never claimed to be champions when they lifted the league leaders shield because they understood how the competition works. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Frightful    3,125
3 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Castleford will be awarded the League Leader's Shield.

The Championship Shield looks likely to go to Toulouse

http://www.rugby-league.com/kingstone_press_leagues/league_tables

The Super League Trophy is awarded to the Super League Champions who win the Grand Final at Old Trafford.

Lots of kudos for Cas for the season they've had + £100 000, which is not to be sniffed at, but champions they are not (yet).

Wakefield have 2 stars on their shirt to represent their 2 championship wins in 1967 & 1968. Leeds were league leaders in both those years.

Warrington and Huddersfield never claimed to be champions when they lifted the league leaders shield because they understood how the competition works. 

A rather impressive reply that, it has to be said.

Tonight's game features two teams that seemed to lose their way in the opening round of the 8s but, my word, they both found it again last week, especially Trin.

Can Wakey be the party poopers like Wire at Hull last year and condemn Cas to a second successive home defeat? I shouldn't think so but I don't think Cas will have it all their own way. If the Trin can start with a quick try or two then the demons might appear for Cas and it'll make for a very interesting evening.

Cas 28 Wakey 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adelaide Tiger    430

Getting a bit nervous now.  Wakey are more than capable of springing a shock.  As someone said earlier we have come a heck of a long way from being close to administration with a clueless board and poor manager.

So I will set 2 alarm clocks for 4am to hopefully see something that has been rarer than Halleys Comet!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exiled Wiganer    2,009

Good luck to Cas tonight. I am firmly in the camp that considers each of the 4 trophies to be an equal footing. Good to see that the place will be heaving. In my 40 years of watching the game I can't recall Cas ever being anything other than great to watch (though I hid behind the sofa during the 33-2 regal trophy win...). 

Team and fans should party long and very hard once they get their hands on the shield. Their greater motivation will win them the game tonight. Great to be reminded that sport is not a competition between balance sheets... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time has come for Cas to to start to write their name on the first trophy in their quest  ,I'm sure they will respect Trinity .It should be a great night "darn t lane" Cas 26 Wakey 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OMEGA    351
8 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Castleford will be awarded the League Leader's Shield.

The Championship Shield looks likely to go to Toulouse

http://www.rugby-league.com/kingstone_press_leagues/league_tables

The Super League Trophy is awarded to the Super League Champions who win the Grand Final at Old Trafford.

Lots of kudos for Cas for the season they've had + £100 000, which is not to be sniffed at, but champions they are not (yet).

Wakefield have 2 stars on their shirt to represent their 2 championship wins in 1967 & 1968. Leeds were league leaders in both those years.

Warrington and Huddersfield never claimed to be champions when they lifted the league leaders shield because they understood how the competition works. 

I don't really care how many stars a club incorporates into its sublimated shirt design, Castleford will finish top of the table after the initial 23 & the extra 7 rounds of home and away league matches.

Largely, except for the SKY manipulated years that would make them this years League Champions. In any form of sporting contest that makes sense and to many Rugby League fans who's memory precedes 1995.

Grand Final winners are no more League Champions than the Challenge Cup winners. What they are is winners of a seeded knock out competition between the top SL teams, all very nice but awarding them the trumped up title of Champions is no more than a SKY TV  gimmick to boost the importance of their showpiece event.

So you call it what you like and you argue all you want that Castleford winning tonight won't see them become League winners, Champions or whatever but I and many other Rugby League fans still see the team who finishes top of the league table as League Champions.

All that said, I hope Wakefield turn them over tonight and keep their push for top 4 alive and deny Castleford their first Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

I don't really care how many stars a club incorporates into its sublimated shirt design, Castleford will finish top of the table after the initial 23 & the extra 7 rounds of home and away league matches.

Largely, except for the SKY manipulated years that would make them this years League Champions. In any form of sporting contest that makes sense and to many Rugby League fans who's memory precedes 1995.

Grand Final winners are no more League Champions than the Challenge Cup winners. What they are is winners of a seeded knock out competition between the top SL teams, all very nice but awarding them the trumped up title of Champions is no more than a SKY TV  gimmick to boost the importance of their showpiece event.

So you call it what you like and you argue all you want that Castleford winning tonight won't see them become League winners, Champions or whatever but I and many other Rugby League fans still see the team who finishes top of the league table as League Champions.

All that said, I hope Wakefield turn them over tonight and keep their push for top 4 alive and deny Castleford their first Championship.

However, this is clearly not true. Its not a sky invention. Only 33 of the 120 championships in Rugby league history have been awarded to the league leaders. Including the 25 years from 1973 to 1997. So it depends how selective you want your history to be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Frightful    3,125
6 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Grand Final winners are no more League Champions than the Challenge Cup winners. What they are is winners of a seeded knock out competition between the top SL teams, all very nice but awarding them the trumped up title of Champions is no more than a SKY TV  gimmick to boost the importance of their showpiece event.

That's fantastic.

When my Dad was alive he used to tell me about the three successive Championship Finals that he attended when Hull FC won two of them between 1956 and 1958.

If you can direct me to the Sky TV highlights of these games that would be brilliant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Mon 28th Aug 2017

Rugby League World - Sept 2017