Saturday afternoon the future?

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this with the new reshuffle of the Sky Sports channels, but most of our Thursday and Friday night games have been "restricted" to sky sports Arena. By contrast the afternoon Saturday 3pm Qualifiers game gets simulcast on arena/action and Main event. I don't think thats particularly because the Qualifiers is a huge competition of major national relevance, but because they don't have anything else to broadcast due to the football rules.

Now, I'm assuming Sky think most sports customers will get "their sport" channel and Main Event, thus making Main Event games a good tool to counter the effects of RL no longer being obviously present on SS1 or 2. So could Saturday afternoons become a new regular slot for SL games, even opening the potential for increased TV deal? Up to 4 games a week live?

To me it quite literally is the gaping hole in football's dominance of the TV sporting landscape at a decent time of the week. 

42 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this with the new reshuffle of the Sky Sports channels, but most of our Thursday and Friday night games have been "restricted" to sky sports Arena. By contrast the afternoon Saturday 3pm Qualifiers game gets simulcast on arena/action and Main event. I don't think thats particularly because the Qualifiers is a huge competition of major national relevance, but because they don't have anything else to broadcast due to the football rules.

Now, I'm assuming Sky think most sports customers will get "their sport" channel and Main Event, thus making Main Event games a good tool to counter the effects of RL no longer being obviously present on SS1 or 2. So could Saturday afternoons become a new regular slot for SL games, even opening the potential for increased TV deal? Up to 4 games a week live?

To me it quite literally is the gaping hole in football's dominance of the TV sporting landscape at a decent time of the week. 

Totally agree.

Agreed.

Dave Woods mentioned on twitter that the CC semi final between Leeds and Hull had the largest share of the TV audience at that time by a significant margin.So why don't the RFL package a Saturday 2pm or 3pm match be shown on the BBC every week. Or heck any other terrestrial broadcaster. Access to a new audience, revenue streams etc. Package a 3 yr deal and see how it goes. You could use local BBC radio staff to broadcast games

The RFL cant just put game out to tender on a saturday afternoon sky own the rights to all RL games just look at championship rugby sky don't show any games apart from the summer bash and they still won't allow prem sport to show games like they used to we have sold our souls to sky and sky call the shots end of 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Saturday afternoon clashes with the whole of the Open Age community game. That's  a big chunk of your TV audience gone already

On the one hand it is, but to an extent I think that is a price worth paying for having 1 of up to 4 live games a week on in a potentially prime slot. If it was a choice between Saturdays on Arena, Main Event and SS Mix, or thursdays on Arena only, its a no brainer for me.

1 hour ago, ravens88 said:

Agreed.

Dave Woods mentioned on twitter that the CC semi final between Leeds and Hull had the largest share of the TV audience at that time by a significant margin.So why don't the RFL package a Saturday 2pm or 3pm match be shown on the BBC every week. Or heck any other terrestrial broadcaster. Access to a new audience, revenue streams etc. Package a 3 yr deal and see how it goes. You could use local BBC radio staff to broadcast games

I'd certainly like that but its almost certainly out of the question for the short term with the current sky deal. Thats why I think the only alternative is to renegotiate the Sky deal with this written in.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

On the one hand it is, but to an extent I think that is a price worth paying for having 1 of up to 4 live games a week on in a potentially prime slot. If it was a choice between Saturdays on Arena, Main Event and SS Mix, or thursdays on Arena only, its a no brainer for me.

I'm not sure of the actual benefit of getting games on Main Event

It's  is just a bonus channel when you subscribe to all the channels. I expect the main viewership of this channel are Pubs

You're not increasing the reach as such as everybody who has Main Event will already have all the other channels 

From a Community clubs point of view there's a lot of clubs struggling to attract support - it's even harder when competing against something on TV

i know it happens now with middle 8s & challenge cup. But for a good chunk of the season there isn't that competition 

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'd certainly like that but its almost certainly out of the question for the short term with the current sky deal. Thats why I think the only alternative is to renegotiate the Sky deal with this written in.

Only if what the BBC offered would (at least) make up the cut in income that would come from Sky losing exclusivity.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Only if what the BBC offered would (at least) make up the cut in income that would come from Sky losing exclusivity.

It will still depend on the current contract with Sky - i doubt they'd be willing to renegotiate exclusivity totally.

19 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm not sure of the actual benefit of getting games on Main Event

It's  is just a bonus channel when you subscribe to all the channels. I expect the main viewership of this channel are Pubs

You're not increasing the reach as such as everybody who has Main Event will already have all the other channels 

From a Community clubs point of view there's a lot of clubs struggling to attract support - it's even harder when competing against something on TV

i know it happens now with middle 8s & challenge cup. But for a good chunk of the season there isn't that competition 

I agree that if you subscribe to all the channels its no improvement. However going forward I fully expect a lot of people to buy the PL and/or Football channels and bin off the rest. Main event is going to be critical for the visibility of a sport going forward imo.

The people buying all sports channels will be almost certainly be a minority imo. 

As for the community clubs perspective, I'm not personally involved in any of them to any large level. However, putting the games on in the club house and building it into the day could be a viable alternative? Surely only the local teams of the TV game would suffer any major decreases anyhow and that wouldn't be every week? 

I think RL is missing a trick by being extremely limited in the Weekend Market.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Saturday afternoon clashes with the whole of the Open Age community game. That's  a big chunk of your TV audience gone already

They shouldn't be the target audience, should they?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Anyone got any viewing figures for the Saturday games so far on Sky?

I like attending games on a Saturday afternoon and am happy to watch them on TV. But, although there is no live football on at that time, a lot of the sports fans I know watch that nonsense where 3/4 blokes in suits watch football matches on TV and occasionally shout 'WOW' or 'GOOOOAAL'. It would be good to know whether we can beat that first.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

After the recent re-jig on SKY, i wonder if any of the sports contracted to SKY have questioned the continued validity of that contract, due to the re-jig of channels etc. If any contract existed where a requisite was having a percentage of games shown on SS1 (for instance) over the course of a season, would the demise of such a channel and your sport being grouped onto a channel which might not have the same level of general interest mean potential contractual implications?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Well whatever happens beyond the end of the Sky contract I would hope RFL are already talking to alternative media players already.... as distinct from waiting for Sky to offer another take it or leave we have no choice offer.

11 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Worst invention of the twentieth century TELEVISION,without it we would go to live events cinema,theatre and God forbid speak to each other instead of sitting watching mainly(apart from sport) tat.

Yeah, let's uninvent stuff. That would work.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree that if you subscribe to all the channels its no improvement. However going forward I fully expect a lot of people to buy the PL and/or Football channels and bin off the rest. Main event is going to be critical for the visibility of a sport going forward imo

If you only have the PL/Football channels, you don't get Main Event. Not really sure what Sky's motivation is for the channel, as it's totally pointless since you have to subscribe to every channel to get it.

Sky Sports Mix, which is available to all Sky customers and recently moved much higher up the EPG into the entertainment channels is probably more important in terms of awareness although RL being on that is entirely at the whim of Sky and not that regular at all.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

16 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Worst invention of the twentieth century TELEVISION,without it we would go to live events cinema,theatre and God forbid speak to each other instead of sitting watching mainly(apart from sport) tat.

:smile:. Agree entirely. We could discuss rickets, gas lights and children up chimneys.

Sky Sports Main Event

w/e 6 Aug 2017

7 day data (000s)28 day data (000s)

LIVE EFL: BOLTON V LEEDS (SUN 1601)

333n/a2

LIVE EFL: SUNDERLAND V DERBY (FRI 1900)

191n/a3

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (FRI 1000)

159n/a4

LIVE EFL: ASTON VILLA V HULL (SAT 1741)

152n/a5

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (MON 1030)

112n/a6

LIVE SPFL: MOTHERWELL V RANGERS (SUN 1300)

111n/a7

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (SUN 1000)

107n/a8

LIVE SPFL: CELTIC V HEARTS (SAT 1200)

97n/a9

LIVE T20 BLAST (TUE 1800)

83n/a10

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (SAT 1000)

80n/a

Sky Sports Premier League

w/e 6 Aug 2017

GILLETTE SOCCER SATURDAY (SAT 1515)

134n/a2

GILLETTE SOCCER SATURDAY (SAT 1715)

103n/a3

GILLETTE SOCCER SATURDAY (SAT 1446)

84n/a4

PL 100 CLUB (SAT 1730)

50n/a5

PREMIER LEAGUE LEGENDS (SAT 1800)

35n/a6

PL FANS VOTE (SUN 2059)

26n/a7

TRANSFER CENTRE (TUE 1900)

25n/a8

FOOTBALL YEARS (FRI 0930)

22n/a9

BEST PL GAMES (WED 2000)

22n/a10

FOOTBALL YEARS (SAT 1130)

22n/a

Sky Sports Football

w/e 6 Aug 2017

LIVE EFL: ASTON VILLA V HULL (SAT 1715)

251n/a2

LIVE EFL: SUNDERLAND V DERBY (FRI 1900)

133n/a3

LIVE EFL: BOLTON V LEEDS (SUN 1601)

107n/a4

LIVE SPFL: MOTHERWELL V RANGERS (SUN 1300)

63n/a5

GILLETTE SOCCER SATURDAY (SAT 1515)

47n/a6

EFL GOALS (SAT 2146)

37n/a7

WORKING WITH WOLVES (SAT 2116)

25n/a8

LIVE SPFL: CELTIC V HEARTS (SAT 1200)

24n/a9

WORKING WITH WOLVES (FRI 2216)

23n/a10

EFL GREATEST GAMES (TUE 1816)

20n/a

Sky Sports Cricket

w/e 6 Aug 2017

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (SAT 1000)

344n/a

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (SUN 1000)

330n/a

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (FRI 1000)

173n/a

LIVE TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (MON 1030)

173n/a

TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA VERDICT (SAT 1836)

151n/a

LIVE T20 BLAST (THU 1800)

129n/a

LIVE T20 BLAST (FRI 1858)

113n/a

LIVE T20 BLAST (TUE 1800)

111n/a

LIVE T20 BLAST (WED 1800)

111n/a

TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (MON 2000)

101n/a

Sky Sports Golf

w/e 6 Aug 2017

LIVE WOMENS BRITISH OPEN (SUN 1230)

75n/a2

LIVE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS (SUN 1949)

72n/a3

LIVE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS (THU 1430)

70n/a4

LIVE WOMENS BRITISH OPEN (SAT 1200)

62n/a5

LIVE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS (SAT 1923)

54n/a6

WGC CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS (FRI 2130)

52n/a7

WOMENS BRITISH OPEN (THU 1930)

51n/a8

LIVE WORLD GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS (FRI 1500)

43n/a9

CHRONICLES OF A CHAMPION GOLFER (FRI 2100)

39n/a10

LIVE WOMENS BRITISH OPEN (FRI 1100)

35n/a

Sky Sports Arena

w/e 6 Aug 2017

LIVE SUPER LEAGUE (FRI 1930)

74n/a2

LIVE SUPER LEAGUE (THU 1930)

39n/a3

LIVE WWE LATE NIGHT RAW (MON 2500)

29n/a4

LIVE WWE LATE NIGHT SMACKDOWN (TUE 2500)

19n/a5

CARP WARS (SUN 1100)

16n/a6

SUPER LEAGUE (FRI 1130)

15n/a7

PRO KABADDI (SAT 1000)

15n/a8

WWE SMACKDOWN (SAT 0800)

14n/a9

WORLD MATCHPLAY DARTS (TUE 2000)

12n/a10

WWE RAW (FRI 1700)

12n/a

Sky Sports Mix

w/e 30 Jul 2017

LIVE WORLD MATCHPLAY DARTS (SAT 1900)

86n/a2

TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (FRI 2001)

46n/a3

MISSION MUDDER (TUE 1900)

29n/a4

MISSION MUDDER (FRI 2100)

21n/a5

GREAT SPORTING MOMENTS (SAT 1815)

20n/a6

LIVE LADIES EUROPEAN TOUR GOLF (SAT 1501)

20n/a7

TEST CRICKET: ENG V SA (THU 2003)

20n/a8

SPORTING RECORDS (MON 1932)

20n/a9

WORLD SNOWBOARD TOUR (MON 2402)

19n/a10

SPORTING GREATS (SAT 1830)

17n/a

Sky Sports F1

w/e 6 Aug 2017