8s idea

If the 8s were to survive here's an idea.

Let's assume that clubs could share gate receipts for the 8s with the opposition in a fair way, and that clubs could run ticket deals for fans to allow for budgets, and that clubs hosting at their venue is up to them if they cant commit out of football stadiums for instance

Wouldn't it be absolutely edge of the seat every game if:

- all teams started on 0

- the higher you finish the more home games you get

so cas this season would have had 7 home games in the 8s, but start on zero having already been awarded the shield

Huddersfield would have been away every week but also on zero

There's no denying the advantage - but anything could happen on any day and teams would be absolutely sniffing upsets every week be genuinely hunting for the grand final 

its obviously logistically and financially an issue - but if you could iron these issues out - wow it would be fantastic viewing.

2 hours ago, BenGilesRL said:

Let's assume that clubs could share gate receipts for the 8s with the opposition in a fair way, and that clubs could run ticket deals for fans to allow for budgets, and that clubs hosting at their venue is up to them if they cant commit out of football stadiums for instance

- all teams started on 0

so cas this season would have had 7 home games in the 8s, but start on zero having already been awarded the shield

There's no denying the advantage - but anything could happen on any day and teams would be absolutely sniffing upsets every week be genuinely hunting for the grand final 

its obviously logistically and financially an issue - but if you could iron these issues out - wow it would be fantastic viewing.

Ive thought the same around the seeding being for number of home games. Basically you play everybody below you at home.

1. That doesn't necessarily make every game edge of the seat, the 8 would start to have top and bottom sides quickly. And some games would still be over in the first half.

2.  Personally I don't mind if some matches are dead rubber. Something I used to like about the old days was coaches experimenting with selection a bit more.

3.  You'd have to feel a bit for the fans of the club in 8th who have to travel away 7 times even if the clubs can make the revenues work for them. It's about the fans too.

42 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I thought maybe 1st gets 8 points, 2nd 7pts, 3rd 6pts and so on. 

Got to get rid of the Champ should though, utterly pointless comp

Yup that was another thought

but 8 for first, then 6 for second, 5 for 3rd, 4 for 4th, 3 for 5th, 2 for 6th, 1 for 7th, and 0 for 8th

5 hours ago, BenGilesRL said:

- all teams started on 0

Ah good, your opening statement says "the 8's" then you single it out to mean just the top 8, that is the part of the system that requires a good dose of looking at, there is nothing wrong with the middle 8's.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Just now, GaryO said:

Ah good, your opening statement says "the 8's" the you single it out to mean just the top 8, that is the part of the system that requires a good dose of looking at, there is nothing wrong with the middle 8's.

middle eights already start on zero

Just now, BenGilesRL said:

middle eights already start on zero

Sorry Ben your heading "8's idea" was what got my attention, it does sound encompassing meaning THE 8's does it not.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

2 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Sorry Ben your heading "8's idea" was what got my attention, it does sound encompassing meaning THE 8's does it not.

Okayyyyy...

talking of the whole thing. I still think that it should be top 5 playoffs in sl, and bottom 2 in a round robin with top 2 in championship

but that's another story altogether - this was if the 8's are kept

1 minute ago, BenGilesRL said:

Okayyyyy...

talking of the whole thing. I still think that it should be top 5 playoffs in sl, and bottom 2 in a round robin with top 2 in championship

but that's another story altogether - this was if the 8's are kept

Seriously I hope they don't tinker with the middle format from its present format, this is the third year my club Leigh has been involved in it, and I have thourougly enjoyed it all, it rewards the 4 best of the Championship clubs and puts tge jitters up the SL clubs, all the games are treated with anticipation and a good deal of trepidation, being involved in them creates more interest and talking points than most other games in the season for us spectators, well it definaltley does for this one anyway, long may the remain.

The thing is the winner of the league comp is judged after 30 games, not 23. For any tinkering with the points for the top 8s would require the league leaders shield to be awarded after 23 rounds, something I favour anyway. 

Another alternative would be keep the points from the 23 previous rounds and make double points for the final seven. That would give the team finishing eighth a chance, if it could string a run of wins together in the top eights. In most cases it wouldn't change much but add some hope for the lowest sides in the top 8. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

5 hours ago, RayCee said:

The thing is the winner of the league comp is judged after 30 games, not 23. For any tinkering with the points for the top 8s would require the league leaders shield to be awarded after 23 rounds, something I favour anyway. 

Another alternative would be keep the points from the 23 previous rounds and make double points for the final seven. That would give the team finishing eighth a chance, if it could string a run of wins together in the top eights. In most cases it wouldn't change much but add some hope for the lowest sides in the top 8. 

I think you're right, the main thing if they are kept is that the league leaders is given after 23

I still think a top 5 would work better at the end, and also giving 8th a better chance to reach 5th rather than 4th but it adds an extra round which I'm against but if its worth it...

7 hours ago, jpmc said:

What's wrong with the top 8s this season? 

I agree actually and I dont think there has been much wrong the other uears. People have jumped on the fact that the top 4 have been the same after 23 and 30 rds the last two years but they have been in a different order and the battle for the lls has been brilliant both years. The same critics complain about the middle 8s as focusing on the lower teams but want to focus on 7th and 8th.

We shouldnt forget that the top 8 puts the best teams against the best teams meaning it is far more likely that we get a tight finish as we did the last two years.

This year Cas have walked the LLS but the battle for top 4 is great.

6 hours ago, RayCee said:

The league leaders shield is awarded after 30 rounds because that's when the season ends

29 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

The league leaders shield is awarded after 30 rounds because that's when the season ends

Totally agree, and that is why the LLS has nothing whatsoever to do with being has some would term "The Champions" a description that is used in Football for the top team in the league.

9 hours ago, GaryO said:

Seriously I hope they don't tinker with the middle format from its present format, this is the third year my club Leigh has been involved in it, and I have thourougly enjoyed it all, it rewards the 4 best of the Championship clubs and puts tge jitters up the SL clubs, all the games are treated with anticipation and a good deal of trepidation, being involved in them creates more interest and talking points than most other games in the season for us spectators, well it definaltley does for this one anyway, long may the remain.

totally agree.. 

10 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I thought maybe 1st gets 8 points, 2nd 7pts, 3rd 6pts and so on. 

Got to get rid of the Champ should though, utterly pointless comp

what do you say to them then.. right thats your season over?

I like the concept of the 8s, especially the middle 8s. 

I agree with a format mentioned earlier on the thread for the top 8s.

1st gets 8 points then 2nd 6, 3rd 5, 4th 4 etc. 

This rewards the team finishing 1st but gives everyone something to play for. I'd also have a top 5 play off which favours the team that finishes 1st at the end of the 8s. 

Hopefully this would add some excitement and give more incentive for finishing as high as possible in the regular season and also in the 8s, especially 1st position.

I'd also give the league leaders shield before the 8s

6 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I'm not sure that's right. Currently, the league finishes after 30 rounds but the season finishes after the GF, which follows the play-offs. Pedantic, I know. But it is what I do best.;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

I agree actually and I dont think there has been much wrong the other uears. People have jumped on the fact that the top 4 have been the same after 23 and 30 rds the last two years but they have been in a different order and the battle for the lls has been brilliant both years. The same critics complain about the middle 8s as focusing on the lower teams but want to focus on 7th and 8th.

We shouldnt forget that the top 8 puts the best teams against the best teams meaning it is far more likely that we get a tight finish as we did the last two years.

This year Cas have walked the LLS but the battle for top 4 is great.

They won't be the same this year!:sad:

It seems to me that the middle 8s meet with just about everyone's approval. The two areas that cause some concern are the SL top 8s and the Championship 'bottom' 8s. I have no idea what is to be done with the latter - it looks like an afterthought and, no matter how you dress it up, it will always look like an afterthought. The SL top 8s, though, could be modified. The following is nothing more than a suggestion and there are major flaws in it, but ...

After 23 rounds of SL, award the LLS and then commence a shortened play-offs involving all 8 of the 'top 8' as follows.

Match A: 1st v 8th home and away on successive weekends.

Match B: 2nd v 7th home and away on successive weekends.

Match C: 3rd v 6th home and away on successive weekends.

Match D: 4th v 5th home and away on successive weekends.

Then continue with:

Semi-Final 1: Winner of Match A v Winner of Match D home and away on successive weekends.

Semi-Final 2: Winner of Match B v Winner of Match C home and away on successive weekends.

Grand Final: Winner of Semi-Final 1 v Winner of Semi-Final 2 at OT.

Advantages. Every team gets at least one home game. Half the teams get two home games. Shorter season allows us to get rid of the doubled-up weekends (for Easter, spread the fixtures out over the Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday; for the Bank Holiday, allow the clubs to choose if they want to play on the Monday or not). More space at the end of the season would allow for some international fixtures (sic).

Disadvantages. Some clubs will finish early (they do already - some clubs don't get into the play-offs). There will be some loss of revenue - one or two home games as opposed to three or four at present. Sky might be unhappy, though I don't think so, personally. I can't think of any more.

Just thinking aloud.

edit: Just thought of another disadvantage. The SL GF would be in mid-September, not late October.

13 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

The season ends at the grand final. The league leaders shield can be handed out at any time the RFL deems that the league has concluded. If the the super 8's are considered part of the playoffs, then the shield can be awarded after 23 rounds. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

17 minutes ago, RayCee said:

The season ends at the grand final. The league leaders shield can be handed out at any time the RFL deems that the league has concluded. If the the super 8's are considered part of the playoffs, then the shield can be awarded after 23 rounds. 

The 8s are not part of the playoffs though, they are the second part of the league season so the shield should be awarded after 30 rounds.

Every team I need Supers 8s, Qualifiers, Championship Shield etc play 30 league games before any kind of playoff or finals

Archived