Sign in to follow this  
Manxmanc

Clubs and the use of social media

Manxmanc    45

I think I've had too much time on my hands. I had noted that Toronto seemed to have amassed a good twitter following over a short period of time and wondered how this might compare with other clubs. So I've created league tables of followers based on today's figures. I'm not at all sure what conclusions to draw, but the figures will have built up over years which would explain the figures for Hull KR, Bradford Bulls and London Broncos. Swinton seem to fair reasonably well for a club without much recent success. Whitehaven are next to bottom and have less than half the followers of Workington; does this result from the former being less active on social media? York seem to be generating a following. The extent to which all this fits in with generating interest and increased crowds is open to debate. I'm sure site members will have views on the importance of this or otherwise.

Super League Followers
Leeds Rhinos 164,000
Wigan Warriors 104,000
St Helens 89,900
Warrington Wolves 76,800
Hull FC 60,400
Castleford Tigers 42,200
Huddersfield Giants 34,400
Wakefield Trinity 33,400
Salford Red Devils 32,600
Widnes Vikings 32,600
Leigh Centurions 19,600
Catalans Dragons 19,500

Championship Followers
Hull KR 46,800
Bradford Bulls 29,000
London Broncos 19,100
Halifax 12,500
Batley Bulldogs 10,700
Featherstone Rovers 10,500
Swinton Lions 9,841
Sheffield Eagles 9,788
Dewsbury Rams 8,917
Rochdale Hornets 7,489
Oldham Roughyeds 5,972
Toulouse Olympique 4,463

League 1 Followers
Toronto Wolfpack 18,400
Keighley Cougars 9,829
Workington Town 9,417
North Wales Crusaders 9,245
York City Knights  8,196
Hunslet 7,915
Doncaster 7,456
Newcastle Thunder 7,378
South Wales Ironmen 7,277
London Skolars 6,908
Barrow Raiders 6,779
Oxford 4,921
Gloucestershire All Golds 4,904
Coventry 4,381
Whitehaven 4,247
Hemel Stags 2,449

• Like 5

Futtocks    5,908

It isn't just the number of followers, but what the clubs do with their accounts. London Broncos are very active with match updates and lots of non-match content too, for instance, so their followers get lots of information every day. 

Are there any clubs who don't put in the work with their Twitter output?

• Like 1

Lowdesert    735

HKR where recognised as top in one media survey.  Not sure how it was calculated.  Maybe you can glean the important bits instead of sat on your hands?

Hull KR Top Social Media Index, Saracens Rank 5th

Social Media Index 2016 Winner Icon
shadow bottom

11 April 2017

Hull Kingston Rovers have been ranked as the top team in England in the annualSport Social Media Index, which grades all 146 professional football, rugby league, rugby union and cricket teams according to their social media performance.

To be ranked top of an overall league table usually dominated by football clubs is great recognition for the Robins communication staff, receiving an overall score of 75.5 out of a possible 100, narrowly nudging Sheffield Wednesday (75.25) into second. Data for the Sport Social Media Index was analysed up to 1st September 2016.

Rovers have been steadily rising through the ranks since the Sport Social Media Index was started four years ago and achieved an overall placing of 29th in 2015 before rising to claim the top spot in the 2016 rankings.

The annual Index is compiled by measuring the social media performance of each team based, not just on an algorithm, but research from a team who looked at eight social media networks.

Another notable rugby performance was from Saracens who reached 5th place in the table with 74.42 points. London Irish were 20th with 70.17 and St Helensplaced equal 26th with Huddersfield Giants on 69.42.

The Index, produced by social media agency Umpf – and partnered once again by William Hill – includes an overall table of all 146 teams ranked top to bottom, plus nine additional tables showing rankings based on each sporting league.

Rachel Clayton from Umpf, one of the Sport Social Media Index judges, said: “Hull KR achieved an excellent quantitative data score, largely due to high levels of on-page engagements in relation to the size of their social community.

“They demonstrated a tailored approach to both social media asset design and channel-specific content and produced excellent behind-the-scenes footage, such as exclusive Snapchat content. They are well-deserved winners of this year’s overall table.”

The 2016 Rugby League Table

1/ Hull KR (1)

2/ Warrington Wolves (3)

3/ St Helens (26)

4/ Huddersfield Giants (27)

5/ Leeds Rhinos (31)

6/ Hull FC (36)

7/ Salford Red Devils (39)

8/ Wigan Warriors (43)

9/ Widnes Vikings (71)

10/ Catalans Dragons (84)

11/ Castleford Tigers (85)

12/ Wakefield Wildcats (137)

Tre Cool    539

Hemel's is awful. Facebook links and retweets that aren't retweets but copies with "RT" on them.  Had to unfollow. French clubs don't do much i guess Twitter isnt a big thing over there.

• Like 2

Futtocks    5,908
21 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Hemel's is awful. Facebook links and retweets that aren't retweets but copies with "RT" on them.  Had to unfollow. French clubs don't do much i guess Twitter isnt a big thing over there.

I haven't tried following individual French clubs, but FFRXIII are reasonably busy with their Tweets.

OriginalMrC    102

Interesting stuff this. Wolfpacks social media presence after such a short period of time is remarkable. HKR very impressive numbers too, though probably boosted by a great season. Think size of club and relative success on the pitch plays a part. Particularly hard for league one clubs as most can't afford to pay someone help improve their reach. 

Pulga    132

Be cool to see a combined Facebook and Twitter number. 

I think there are two types of social media people out there. Some people love Twitter and some people can't stand it.

Rach    78
3 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Hemel and Salford are the worst.

How  can you criticize the two in the same breath - one a lowly placed L1 club without a doubt relying on a volunteer to update social media content - the other a reasonably high flying SL Club with a financial sugar daddy to boot a multitude of paid staff  and FT Players and all the resources and media coverage that being in the top division brings with it ..

Seems more than a tad unfair to me .........

• Like 1

wackojacko    359
17 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

From personal experience, there a lot fewer 'Twitterers'.

Saint 1    497
6 hours ago, Rach said:

How  can you criticize the two in the same breath - one a lowly placed L1 club without a doubt relying on a volunteer to update social media content - the other a reasonably high flying SL Club with a financial sugar daddy to boot a multitude of paid staff  and FT Players and all the resources and media coverage that being in the top division brings with it ..

Seems more than a tad unfair to me .........

Because while that is true, it doesn't take much to provide live updates of matches and say what the team is, that should be a bare minimum. It's not a full time job to do that.