Sign in to follow this  
Newcastle Thunder

The Toronto Experience

Recommended Posts

Jim Prendle    354
17 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

I'm currently writing this from our teams base in Toronto.

 

i know the Wolfpack have got some stick from one league one club, but I can honestly say what a fantastic experience 

The Wolfpack put us up in a fantastic city centre location, it's the same place where the refs and home team stay, they put on breakfast and a couple of lunches for all the players and staff 

they paid for busses to take us up to the stadium and train, provided water and gatorade, after the game they provided food and enough drinks tokens to  last a lifetime.

The whole match day was incredible!!! It's something Rugby League fans will struggle to understand because It's so positive

and the crowd was huge!!!!! Our game clashed at the same time as a Canadian Football League game but there was still over 7,000 fans all loving the sport!

We have had a fantastic trip and the Toronto Wolfpacks hospitality has been outstanding!

Teams should go over and embrace it rather then moan about it 

IMG_6833.JPG

Lies, all lies. It's a ###### place, the hospitality is rubbish, and the crowd are all cardboard cutouts.

Your false optimism is totally transparent, and you should be banned from this forum for such an obvious display of trolling.

Away with you. Be gone.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark S said:

What impression did you get on how the fans enjoyed the game?

They seemed to be loving it, I spent a while explaining a few of the rules

But it's so similar to Canadian/American football that they pick it up fast 

they do view sport differently, always milling about in the beer garden, going to the merchandise tent and catching hotdogs that are being shot into the stands haha! It's a full day event for them with the local bars packed pre game and the beer garden rammed for a couple of hours after 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
snapski    386

I have no problem with Toronto. I have a problem with folk trying to fast track them. They will get promoted anyway in the next few seasons, just how it should be. I think they will be a credit to Super League when they get there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael1812    67

Really great to hear.  I moved from Toronto to the UK 4 years ago and makes me very happy to hear folk from the UK going over and enjoying the city.  Hopefully the next time I am back, I will be able to take in a Wolfpack home match

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oxford    1,232

Right form an orderly queue behind Parky.

No pushing in now!

Rocks and stones will be provided at the front when it's your turn.

Please don't waste ammunition as it has to be reused on other expansion clubs and threads.

Thank you all for your lack of understanding, cooperation and forward thinking!

What a great post - just when this game seemed to need it more than ever.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davc1h    68

Great post.

I for one think the TWP thing is brilliant for the game.

Hope Cas draw them in the cup and I get the chance to go over.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommygilf    684
3 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

Great post.

I for one think the TWP thing is brilliant for the game.

Hope Cas draw them in the cup and I get the chance to go over.

Exactly, I can't wait for Leeds to get a chance to go too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krzzystuff    149
6 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

Great post.

I for one think the TWP thing is brilliant for the game.

Hope Cas draw them in the cup and I get the chance to go over.

I'm trying to vet people to start talking about getting a up game in TO next year if we make it in the later stages and draw a full time team! Would love to see Cas here!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Krzzystuff    149
58 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

I'm currently writing this from our teams base in Toronto.

 

i know the Wolfpack have got some stick from one league one club, but I can honestly say what a fantastic experience 

The Wolfpack put us up in a fantastic city centre location, it's the same place where the refs and home team stay, they put on breakfast and a couple of lunches for all the players and staff 

they paid for busses to take us up to the stadium and train, provided water and gatorade, after the game they provided food and enough drinks tokens to  last a lifetime.

The whole match day was incredible!!! It's something Rugby League fans will struggle to understand because It's so positive

and the crowd was huge!!!!! Our game clashed at the same time as a Canadian Football League game but there was still over 7,000 fans all loving the sport!

We have had a fantastic trip and the Toronto Wolfpacks hospitality has been outstanding!

Teams should go over and embrace it rather then moan about it 

IMG_6833.JPG

I was at the game and you lads put in a good game and it was great to see you in the beer garden afterwards!! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself unlike the "one" team....see how next week goes for them 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tongs ya bas    658

They have no grim faced aficionados in 1989 ellgren bench coats. They have no true fans.

Seriously though, isn't this just what rugby league needs? People out to have a good time at the rugby. Sounds absolutely wonderful.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobertAM    409

I was there and loved meeting all the Thunderers on their lap of honour and in the beergarden afterwards, this is what makes the games so special, regardless of the scoreboard you can appreciate the effort displayed on the field. Most of the teams and fans coming over enjoy the experience as they "market" the game to the crowd. Being an expat and having played RU as a teenager I quickly adapted to RL and love it and I can tell a new fanbase is coming onboard and fast. Hope the next 3 visitors enjoy it as much as the Thunder.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walter sobchak    958

Can anybody tell me what the official capacity of lamport stadium is and is having no roof on the stands a big issue with fans when it's raining?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scubby    5,054

The interesting thing is the game day experience. Our SL clubs seemed to have bailed out on that during the last 5 years or so. The fans at Toronto are arriving early and staying late. Imagine how much they are spending in the ground itself?

A lot of miserable sods who follow RL arrive 2 minutes before kick off and clear off before the end (even if they are winning in Wigan's case). To that end we cannot compare Toronto and a SL club like for like. They are different beasts playing to different markets. 

So glad you enjoyed your experience though.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Futtocks    5,908

If the fans enjoyed this season (and the Wolfpack don't somehow screw up their promotion run), they are going to love 2018, when their team will be meeting stronger opposition and the battles will be fiercer and more exciting!

However, we in the UK will probably lose the Premier Sport coverage to the dog-in-a-manger grasp of Sky. I expect people will be researching how to get the Canadian broadcasts streamed over here, by hook or by crook. 

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobertAM    409

It is said to be 9600 plus I guess whatever number squeeze into the north end beergarden as they tend to stay there for the entire game..we're lucky not to have had any rain except for a misty drizzle at the Oxford home opener which was a chilly day as i recall. I think if there is heavy rain forecast the lack of cover would keep some fans away (not this expat though!) so it remains to be seen what would happen..I anticipate if the beer wallahs keep everybody watered no one will care.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Prendle    354
2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

A lot of miserable sods who follow RL arrive 2 minutes before kick off and clear off before the end (even if they are winning in Wigan's case).

Is that just the last 5 years though? I thought the "Wigan Walk" had been around since the dawn of time?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scubby    5,054
2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Is that just the last 5 years though? I thought the "Wigan Walk" had been around since the dawn of time?

 

No it was the game day stuff which has declined in the last 5 years. The Wigan walk was going on when I was in short trousers. Always chuckled when they had legends like Edwards, Offiah and Miles at the very top of their game and many would trundle out with 10 minutes to go when they were slaughtering some poor team.

Toronto fans do the opposite. They just saunter in after 10-15 mins lol. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walter sobchak    958
2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

It is said to be 9600 plus I guess whatever number squeeze into the north end beergarden as they tend to stay there for the entire game..we're lucky not to have had any rain except for a misty drizzle at the Oxford home opener which was a chilly day as i recall. I think if there is heavy rain forecast the lack of cover would keep some fans away (not this expat though!) so it remains to be seen what would happen..I anticipate if the beer wallahs keep everybody watered no one will care.

Good stuff. Are you aware of any plans for the Wolfpack to maybe play/move to the soccer stadium for big games or if they get into super league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scubby    5,054
1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

Good stuff. Are you aware of any plans for the Wolfpack to maybe play/move to the soccer stadium for big games or if they get into super league?

No way! If the Wolfpack play in the WCC in 2020 they will insist it is played at Lamport with a 9600 capacity (even if there is 4 feet of snow). After all, Leeds did it, Saints did it, Warrington did it, Castleford did it...... ;) 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kris    304

Brilliant post - backs up everything we already know - and how much of an experience it is for the L1 team players many of which would never get to play anywhere like this otherwise and can actually experience a real big match day against what are after all SL worthy players - even FFMM looks god enough to spell in a SL match

Good to see other teams getting so much out of it all

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobertAM    409

Walter - as much as it would be exciting for them to play at BMO field that place has huge capacity and unless they are able to fill it a crowd of less than 15K would be dwarfed and i'd rather see a bursting at the seams Lamport. The current setup feels great and to my mind a sprucing up of Lamport is a great alternative.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tre Cool    539
7 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Walter - as much as it would be exciting for them to play at BMO field that place has huge capacity and unless they are able to fill it a crowd of less than 15K would be dwarfed and i'd rather see a bursting at the seams Lamport. The current setup feels great and to my mind a sprucing up of Lamport is a great alternative.

Incredible that they are almost outgrowing their stadium in year 1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Mon 28th Aug 2017

Rugby League World - Sept 2017