Sign in to follow this  
alba

york game

alba    72

What a great game of rugby, both teams were hammer and tong first 40 minutes, but in the second half the raiders pack was immense, every one of them, and you could see the York pack start to crumble. The raiders scored some great tries, but joe's burst and sprint, yes sprint under the posts was pretty special. A better crowd, but come on all you rugby fans in furness area, pick this great squad up and carry them into the championship,

• Like 1

morty    216

great game between two well matched sides.....our forwards were superb in the 2nd period and Joe,s try was sublime. York looked a big big side.

We deserved the win today and at 26-13 thought that was a fair scoreline..just a shame that final try was conceded which made it look a little closer than it was (in my opinion !!)

• Like 1

TMF    122

Agree alba. Talked to Joe after the the game and said what were you doing? He said 'I dunno, just saw the line and went for it'. One of the best tries of the season. Can't wait to see it on the Mail highlights. I recommend everyone to see it. Classic. 

I have to say, it's ok bringing in outsiders/DR, call it what you will but if they are not match fit/ used to playing with the team, it aint gonna work. Having said that, thumbs up to York for a great of rugby.

• Like 1

georgeb1    192

Well done raiders best  team on the day won , look forward to a rematch in the playoff  final.

willow    0

Looked to me going by the shirt numbers and those without numbers they had 6 dr players its becoming a joke just saing

spanishknight    214
1 hour ago, willow said:

Looked to me going by the shirt numbers and those without numbers they had 6 dr players its becoming a joke just saing

You can only play 5, not 6 d/r players so it looks like you need glasses lol

richie keay    36

Spanishknight he doesn't need glasses if it was only 5 players not 6 it is still a bloody joke as most intelligent York fans must realise.

richie keay    36
5 hours ago, alba said:

oWhat a great game of rugby, both teams were hammer and tong first 40 minutes, but in the second half the raiders pack was immense, every one of them, and you could see the York pack start to crumble. The raiders scored some great tries, but joe's burst and sprint, yes sprint under the posts was pretty special. A better crowd, but come on all you rugby fans in furness area, pick this great squad up and carry them into the championship,

I've been to every home match this season and a few away from home and I've got to say that joe's try was the try of the season so far.

As for the crowd 976 as I think it was is a bloody disgrace to he people of Barrow and district what do the public expect in what was the game of the season against an excellent opposition in York City Knights. What pees me off the most is people that don't attend the matches and then ask you how they got on, i'm sorry pay your £15 pounds and find out for yourself. Rant over

Edited by richie keay
  • Like 6

spanishknight    214
49 minutes ago, richie keay said:

Spanishknight he doesn't need glasses if it was only 5 players not 6 it is still a bloody joke as most intelligent York fans must realise.

The Knights fans would rather we didn't have to play D/R players but not having any players at the turn of the year, no fault of the new owners, needs must.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richie keay said:

I've been to every home match this season and a few away from home and I've got to say that joe's try was the try of the season so far.

As for the crowd 976 as I think it was is a bloody disgrace to he people of Barrow and district what do the public expect in what was the game of the season against an excellent opposition in York City Knights. What pees me off the most is people that don't attend the matches and then ask you how they got on, i'm sorry pay your £15 pounds and find out for yourself. Rant over

Its very sad to hear the crowd was this small. its actually shocking.  I really wish the schedule had been such that TWP visited Barrow, but it seems next year that opportunity will almost certainly happen.

So the forthcoming rematch between TWP and Barrow is shaping up to be a real cracker.

morty    216
7 hours ago, richie keay said:

Totally agree Richie .......the RFL should shoulder a lot of the blame for this with the fixture scheduling and the quality of home games we have had this season...lost supporters are very difficult to get back once they find other activities to do on game days !!!!

millomite    13

For me personally it's a cost thing. To get a seat to watch the Raiders, it's £15 to get in, plus the £2 to get a seat in the stand. With no public transport on Sundays, that means I have to drive through from Millom and rules out having a beer watching the game. For a fiver more and 40 minutes longer in the car I can get through to Wigan and watch (what should be!!!!!!) a higher standard of match in a more modern stadium.

That's not me having a dig at Craven Park, its just an observation. I realise the club has wages to spend etc and tickets are priced accordingly, but times change and folk are a lot more prudent with how they spend what's left of their wages.

I get through when I can and I have to admit the Saturday night games were more favourable for myself. There's no real promotion from the club, at least what I see living in Millom to attract folk through the gates.

Obviously too late for this season but things like arranging coach travel from Millom say, with pick up points along the way, Ireleth, Askam, Dalton etc on Sundays so that folk can have a beer whilst watching the game. I'm not saying the club can foot the bill but it may be worth a trial, charge folk slightly less than it would on the train and it might persuade a few more.

On a gate of 900, and I don't know the ratio of concessions to full paying adults. if you say 600 at £15 and 300 at £10, that £12000 through the gate. Say for the home game against Workington, why not cut adult prices to a tenner and concessions to a fiver and have concerted effort to attract folk in. There are the fans in Barrow, go back a few years to the time when they were chasing promotion to Super League and there were in excess off 2000. They just need a reason to part with their money to watch the match rather than spend it on something else.

morty    216

I know what you are saying Millomite BUT I don't want to go down to Wigan and watch the pie eaters play ..I support Barrow and want to watch Barrow and to pay £15 to watch the players from both teams give it their all seems good value to me. Hopefully next year should we gain promotion we will see better quality teams visit CP.

• Like 1

millomite    13
1 hour ago, morty said:

I know what you are saying Millomite BUT I don't want to go down to Wigan and watch the pie eaters play ..I support Barrow and want to watch Barrow and to pay £15 to watch the players from both teams give it their all seems good value to me. Hopefully next year should we gain promotion we will see better quality teams visit CP.

I completely understand that Lee. There'll always be a consistent number of folk like yourself who turns out regardless, but it's about capturing the neutral spectator that's 50:50 about watching. Barrow, time wise is my closest club, my little brother and cousin both play for the Barrow as did the old fella back in the 80/90s so there's obviously an affection there, well, as much as any Millomite can like Barrow ;-) but I'd say I'm a rugby fan rather than a fan of a club, so occasionally go and watch Haven or Town depending on the opposition.

I don't want to sound more negative on the club but I do think more could be done in terms of attracting the casual observer

red square    28

I agree more needs to be done to make the casual supporter more aware of games. Looking round Barrow there are notices stuck on traffic lights advertising games that are long gone. You have to speculate to accumulate so why not try a price reduction for the next big game with a lot of advertising on the Bay etc and using the trailers which have advertisements and can be moved about. It may be all hand to mouth financially but for a bit of outlay and effort on promoting the game the club might reap the benefits. If all the games were like the York match then the game would sell itself, however too many poor fixtures have made people decide to spend their cash elsewhere. Once you get out of the habit of coming to the game it is easy to just not bother at all. The club needs a big push to bring the fans back.I appreciate that there are a limited number doing the work but I think it is time to think outside the box and take a punt on pricing/advertising. By the way Barrow Island hosted Leeds Rhinos coaching school (with Brad Singleton I believe) The young lad from down the road went, got a free ticket for a Leeds game - his parents are taking him (that is another 2 tickets sold) and he wants a Leeds shirt to go in, good business.

• Like 2

millomite    13

Even something simple to get the kids and then a parent in. 

How about something like a free rugby ball for all kids under 10 who come with a paying adult. Just had a quick browse. A hundred balls would cost £270 plus postage. Get an extra 20 adults coming through the gate and that's the costs covered.

If you gave the kids an opportunity to meet the players after the game and get their ball signed etc I'm sure they'd all hang around in the bar after the game waiting for the players etc who normally are around anyway. 

Screenshot_20170821-182659.png

Screenshot_20170821-182655.png

spanishknight    214

At York kids under 16 get in free, our gates have gone up by over 80%, take a father and 2 kids who want to watch a game it only costs £15 for the 3 of them and with a bit of luck you have fans for life.

• Like 1

Michael Ashton    103

It's interesting that under the ill-fated days of DJ by 2009 the gates had increased to around 1700 but they have steadily fallen since then. Apart from Toronto and the current York side, they are still better than all the other clubs in Ch1 and some in Ch. Hopefully, if we do get promotion and win some games our gates will increase.

SJD    138

In this last year we have lost 2 Chairman, if memory serves me right DJ will be allowed back into Rugby League next year, if he is the catalyst for increasing numbers through the gate dare I suggest it?  :tongue:

Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.

• Like 1

donald    121
9 minutes ago, SJD said:

In this last year we have lost 2 Chairman, if memory serves me right DJ will be allowed back into Rugby League next year, if he is the catalyst for increasing numbers through the gate dare I suggest it?  :tongue:

Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.

Des would do a decent job for youse now with there being no salary cap your 2009 side should have been promoted you got a very good side in a short space of time bk then

TMF    122

Wow, some great points in this topic. I think it really is time Murph and the board sat down and started thinking outside the box. How about this one (i'll the fuse and stand back, lol). It's entirely possible that by the time we play Keighley in our last match, we may have already guaranteed second spot. So, wait for it, we let everybody in FREE. After all, if we had finished 4/5th we would have been away anyway. It's not such a disaster, bring the family, encourage future support, it's a reward for all the fans who have supported us all season, god knows we deserve it. I reckon the publicity would be enormous. We would still make money on bar/refreshments/raffle tickets etc. There are probably more positives but i'll leave it up to others to point out. I also think a serious exercise of bench marking as to what other teams are doing should be carried out by the board. I could carry on but you get my drift. We need to be more pro active and imaginative.

• Like 1

boat builder    43

From the York Forum Page.

Updated average crowds after the 3rd round of fixtures. Last seasons averages in brackets. 

League 1 + League 1 Playoff/Shield matches only

Toronto 6639 (N/A)

York 1078 (592) +82.1%

Newcastle 923 (797) +15.8%

Barrow 851 (967) -12.0%

Keighley 822 (592) +38.9%

Whitehaven 692 (N/A)

Workington 647 (N/A)

Doncaster 565 (614) -8.0%

London 443 (445) -0.01%

Hunslet 417 (451) -7.5%

Coventry 383 (454) -15.6%

North Wales 357 (430) -17.0%

South Wales 223 (294) -24.1%

Gloucester  203 (134) +51.4%

Oxford 156 (163) -4.3%

Hemel 116 (180) -35.6%

Edited by boat builder
  • Like 2

TMF    122

Thanks boat builder, well done but those figures will have changed by now. EG..Oxford had 65, yes, 65 Sunday. RL, are you watching? Probably not.