Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

Saturday 26th Aug : The Ladbrokes RL Challenge Cup Final : Hull FC v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm BBC TV

Who will win?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan Warriors
    • Draw

It's going to be a great day. Carol and I shall be gracing the stadium with our presence for the first time since 1999, so it has to be a great day.

Providing the trains run properly!

As for winning, I don't think Wigan are quite back to top form just yet, so I think Hull will take the spoils.

As with recent years, I thought I'd start an early thread to give us a bit more time to discuss the showpiece RL occasion at Wembley.

Now the hoodoo has been laid to rest I'm a little bit more relaxed than I would normally be but the nerves will no doubt slowly build up until I'm a trembling wreck on Saturday afternoon.

The bookies have Wigan as slight favourites at 10/11 with Hull FC 11/10 which surprises me a bit, didn't think there would be much between the teams.

Still, they've been there and have the book, t shirt and whole lot more really, I just hope it's dry and a better game than 2013's horror show.

They've beaten Hull on three separate occasions at Wembley, 1959, 1985 and 2013 so we certainly owe them one and I'll have everything crossed on Saturday afternoon.

Hull for me. simply because Wigan players cannot catch a high chip to the corners, Sneyed will have a field day . Add in his superior goalkicking ; Also houghtons and kellys pace will expose powells slowness. its Hulls to lose.

24 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

The bookies have Wigan as slight favourites at 10/11 with Hull FC 11/10 which surprises me a bit, didn't think there would be much between the teams.

Both at 10/11 on Sky Bet and have been since they both won the semis.

Wigan win in a close one.

I think that based upon the perceived apathy surrounding this game, we need a great spectacle rather than caring about who wins.

A thriller like 1985 would go a long way towards bringing some of the magic back to the CC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Come on Hull (I shall now bathe in industrial strength disinfectant.I feel dirty wanting Hull to win)

I love it when you're feeling dirty. :blush:

The BBC weather forecast for Saturday says no rain expected, some cloud cover and a high of 20 degrees C for the day. Pretty much ideal for players and spectators alike.

I'm expecting a Hull win, as they have looked better than us all season, even if our form is steadily improving. But, most of all, I want a really good showpiece game.

For the Airlie Birds to first break their Wembley duck, then to retain the cup would be huge for the club.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Come on Hull (I shall now bathe in industrial strength disinfectant.I feel dirty wanting Hull to win)

Its like choosing between Germany or Argentina for the world cup final... 

Going to wear my toronto polo at the game because we're in the codheads end, and at least they're from the right side of the pennines...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Discuss the Ladbrokes RL Challenge Cup Final here.

Beat me to it! :)

i don't have a horse in this race, although I would have supported Hull for sure had they not won last year. it was great to see them finally do it in 2016. So I will do what I usually do on CC Final day - support whoever has the most fans sitting near me!

• Like 1

Sadly can't be there for this one, but will be watching on TV. Tough to call. Wigan teams of old had a habit of being able to get a firm grip on the opposition but I feel that this time Hull will come out of the starting blocks hard and fast in an endeavour to build up a decent lead. Depends how much room they give Sneyd and how much protection Hull's forwards give him. Will it be 1985 all over again? Will Sam Tomkins's return to form continue and complete?

Just spent an enjoyable few mins looking back at the teams that day in 1985. According to Wikipedia, "the attendance of 99,801 was the highest ever recorded for the Cup Final at Wemberlee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Challenge_Cup

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The BBC weather forecast for Saturday says no rain expected, some cloud cover and a high of 20 degrees C for the day. Pretty much ideal for players and spectators alike.

I'm expecting a Hull win, as they have looked better than us all season, even if our form is steadily improving. But, most of all, I want a really good showpiece game.

For the Airlie Birds to first break their Wembley duck, then to retain the cup would be huge for the club.

are they not the holders and hence  your last sentence makes no sense .

5 minutes ago, gordontrevor said:

are they not the holders and hence  your last sentence makes no sense .

I think he means to retain it after it took so long to break the hoodoo would be massive.

As OF said I'm not really nervous about it like I have been in the past. Just looking forward to a good game and a good event. When it gets a bit closer I might feel different, but now the monkey is off our back I just want to enjoy it this time. Hopefully the players have a similar attitude and take the game to Wigan, rather than going there concerned about their big game pedigree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrywebbisgod said:

I will echo that statement TWiG, but reverse the club, I will be a Wigginer for a day, after stating that I will have to walk about Leigh in a suit of armour, but for exactly the same reason as yourself it is for the pride of the county, which I remember you stating after the semi in Doncaster.

"Up the Red Rose"

No disrespect to my friends in Hull, OK Rob.

Edited by GaryO
  • Like 1

Don`t like teams going into cup ties after a heavy defeat the week before , want Hull to lift the cup , but think Wigan will grind out a win .

It would be nice to get a game anything close to the 1985 one, I don't really mind who wins, Being a Tudor i can claim for either county, although to be fair if i had been around when the rose picking had been going on, i would have picked a white one, so i suppose i want Hull to win.

That said if i were a betting man i would be putting the odd groat on Wigan, They have that knack of coming good when it matters, I feel Hull have it in the middle and Wigan in the backs, so it depends what sort of game we get,  Come on err.....Hull