Friday 25th August : Friday Night Lights - London Skolars v South Wales Ironmen K.O. 18.30

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Very pleased to have met up with OF and his mate. They learned the classic 'Northerners in London' lesson, which is that tube travel isn't instantaneous and 27 stops takes a long time. I trust they will learn that lesson for today's game, otherwise they will once again be trotting in just before halftime.

:D

Nice to finally meet up young man. The 27 stops wasn't too bad on the return journey as we broke it up with a visit to the Globe to see what all the fuss is about. 

Good experience at the Skolars last night, seems to be a fair few good people making an effort to help the club become an attraction and hopefully a success given time.

Not quite sure what to make of the mascot though...

Saw around 8 or 9 other folk with Hull FC shirts on and 3 or 4 wearing the Wigan colours so about the ratio you'd expect given the alleged Wembley ticket sales. :whistle:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

15 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

Tale of two Skolars wingers. On one the latest Bronco starlet, Jacob Ogden, on his first home debut, two tries, great prospect. On the other, fans favourite Smokie Junor, back after a two year injury, good as ever.

lovely to see smokie back. he plays rugby with a spirit from a bye gone age. when he broke his leg v wigan he chased the wigan player the length of the field and made a last ditch tackle and collided with the post & had a major break. we were 40 - nil down. 

13 hours ago, JonM said:

I thought they were a bit unlucky to go in 16-0 down at half time. They had a lot of territory and possession and quite a few repeat sets on Skolars line, but never looked like breaking down some good goal-line defence from Skolars. Two tries right on half-time gave a score that didn't really reflect the half. For all the time camped on Skilars line,  S. Wales best chance of scoring was a length of the field interception, but even with a few metres start, the wingman was run down by two Skolars players and tackled into the corner flag. Lot of handling errors from both sides right through the match, thought the referee had an excellent game, nice to see a game free of much messing round in the tackle.

Skolars put together some nice moves and some good offloads and broke some tackles in the second half and looked like they were going to run in a lot of points, but the Welsh lads stuck with it.  Not sure about "young" though - Christian Roets must have been around even longer than Jermaine Coleman? Great to see Smokie Junor back in the Skolars first team after all this time.

I reckon there were at least 20 Welsh fans within earshot of me - 4 separate groups. Not necessarily actually regulars at Llanelli, I suppose.

Thanks,Jon.

Quite a few times they have lacked a cutting edge when they have had field position and lots of possession.

Not too disheartened.

I shall watch the other,possible,finalists next week at Hunslet.

Followed by North Wales Crusaders the following week.

Good stuff.

Wishing you an enjoyable end to your campaign :clapping:

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

12 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I couldn't add anything to JonM's excellent summary above. The chasedown of the South Wales player who had intercepted was a great bit of action.

Very pleased to have met up with OF and his mate. They learned the classic 'Northerners in London' lesson, which is that tube travel isn't instantaneous and 27 stops takes a long time. I trust they will learn that lesson for today's game, otherwise they will once again be trotting in just before halftime.

Did he ask "what time do you set off for the match" or "how long does it take to get to the ground from here", this is the burning question.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived