Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Andrews

Away Day Blues

Whilst checking a query for a fan earlier this week, I was looking at our club records and noticed there are 4 current professional clubs that we have not beaten at their grounds for a very long time indeed. Purely for a bit of fun see if you can name the following four clubs in question. There are no tricks here, each one of these clubs has been visited at least 10 times (in some cases many more than that) since we last gained a victory there. League and Cup games only (friendlies, charity games, testimonial games etc not included).

A The last time we beat this club away was incredibly March 1946.

B We have not beaten this club away since November 1956.

C Not a single away win against this club since November 1963.

D A dozen fruitless trips to this clubs ground since our last win in March 1967.

Remember, all four clubs are current professional clubs and Barrow have played them away many, many times since our last victory there. Also, Im pleased to say, we have beaten all 4 at home since we last beat them away!!

Keith Nutter    11

That's an awfully difficult question Steve :).  I reckon that there are only three people living who could answer that one. If anybody else gets the right teams  against the right year I will be astounded.

morty    216

Total guesses

Leeds

hull kr

wigan

wakefield

Good effort Morty, one team correct but not in the right order Im afraid.

Youre right Keith, so heres a few clues.

Team A are a Lancashire club who have moved to a new ground in recent seasons. We did manage a draw there in a cup game in the 80s too.

Team B are a Yorks club who are still at the same ground as when we last won there. Plenty of people who read this forum will have visited this ground in the last 12 months.

Team C had their lowest ever crowd, just 324, when we won there in 1963 by 0-29.

Team D have also fairly recently switched grounds. Our last win there came in controversial fashion in an RL Cup tie when we won 6-5.

Hope that helps!

KeithB    0

Fascinating question. Really got me thinking. But the clues helped. Also having Keith Nutter's books also helps.

St Helens

Leeds

Bradford

Hull

The Vet    67
18 hours ago, Keith Nutter said:

We won at Warrington in our 1983 Lancashire Cup winning run Phil.

Yeah I remembered that after I posted it, won 19-18 was it with Steve Mossy dropping a goal?

2 hours ago, Stephen Andrews said:

Just out of interest Phil, I think you will have played at Hull but did you ever play at the other three grounds (Headingley, Knowsley Road or Odsal)?

Yeah played at the Boulevard, Headingley & Knowsley Rd with Widnes Academy in 1992.

With Barrow we had a Regal Trophy game v Hull at The Boulevard around 1994ish.

In 1997 I think, Bramley's home ground was Headingley so played then & also played in a West of the Pennines v The East as a curtain raiser for a Rhinos game in 1999.

iv never even stepped foot in Odsal however!

Edited by The Vet

We actually scored 3 drop goals in that semi final v Warrington in 83. There was one each for Dave Cairns, Ian Ball and Mossy. Even though I was at the game (one of the very few Barrow fans who were as it was mid week and we were expected to get smashed!) I cant remember who got the third one. I do remember the score wasnt 18-18 at the time it went over though as Barrow had something like a 19-10 or so lead and the Wires came roaring back late on. Dave Elliott who was standing in for the injured Steve Tickle made two amazing, try saving tackles on John Fieldhouse and Bob Eccles in the dying minutes to seal the win.

I do remember Barrow playing at Hull in the Regal Trophy in 94, I think the score was something like 26-14 to Hull which was a very creditable result at the time.

KeithB    0

As we are reminiscing, how about the 1975 BBC2 Floodlight trophy. Away to St Helens. Only the second half was shown and when we tuned in to watch, Barrow had a half time lead thanks to tries and goals from Colin Tyrer.

Unfortunately St Helens pegged us back in the second half but we so nearly got that first win since 1946.

morty    216
3 hours ago, alba said:

I remember barrow beating Hull, at headingly, with a fantastic break from Ian Ball.

That was the semi final of the John Player trophy ... Ralph McConnell scored the try from Bally's break :-)

The Vet    67

Certainly do, one of the best games I ever played in, HKR had beaten Wigan 5 months previous (when Wigan won everything) before they got relegated then somehow we turned them over, it wasn't even a bog of a field as it was in October 

Edited by The Vet

Shipbuilder    30

Two Ralph McConnell tries stick in my memory.

Ian Ball's magnificent run, drop the shoulder, beat the defence and then off you go, draw the fullback and there's Ralph to say thank you and under the posts.

Andy Whittle's magnificent run, quick short pass, beat the defence by pure pace and then off you go, draw the fullback and there's Ralph to say thank you and under the posts.

Bit of a pattern there - happy days

morty    216

Andy Whittle and Ian Ball ...what a centre partnership that was :-)