Sign in to follow this  
hunsletgreenandgold

Challenge Trophy Final - Wigan SP v Hunslet CP

Should be a cracker this one - can't remember last time we've met with St Pat's (certainly not since we've changed from Old boys) but they're a great name in amateur RL and I know the boys will be keen to go one better from last years defeat against Mayfield. 

Bit disappointed Mount Pleasant has been picked as the venue, however. The final is the pinnacle of any tournament and rightfully get played at stadiums, but when the playing surface is massively slanted and on wet days cuts up badly, I can't help but think there were many better options than this. Oh well, let's hope we get a dry day and i'm sure we'll see some great rugby. 

Confident as always - I'll say we've got this marginally.  

Think there is cons to most grounds. Last years venue had an athletics track around didn't it?

out of interest what would your preferred realistic venue have been?

should be a close contested final but think hunslet will go one step further this year. Good luck to both teams 

Mayfield would have been suitable, I know its nice for clubs to play at the pro grounds but having a sizeable crowd and good bar takings would be welcome at NCL clubs

St Annes is a lovely club as well which is about half way

Saddleworth is also a good Community ground these days with a new club house to boot, and i could name a lot more clubs that would welcome the bar takings, but these lads do deserve a game at a pro ground.

Batley may not be the best ground but like most they are very welcoming and happy to have you play. I like HGG am worried that if the weather is wet the ground will cut up and what should be an entertaining final will become who can manage the slope the best.

Fingers crossed we have a great day, see you there and I promise not to sing

Stu.

On 27/08/2017 at 4:53 PM, BigCliff said:

Think there is cons to most grounds. Last years venue had an athletics track around didn't it?

out of interest what would your preferred realistic venue have been?

should be a close contested final but think hunslet will go one step further this year. Good luck to both teams 

Yeah you're right, last years venue wasn't great either, but the surface was pretty good.

I'd like to have seen it played somewhere like Dewsbury or Keighley - similar size grounds but a better surface. 

Anyway, as they say, it's the same for both sides, so whatever the conditions the best team will win 

• Like 1

I don't think the competition has been the success that the NCL hoped when they introduced it,not making it compulsory for all NCL clubs to enter might be affecting it or are knockout cups just not as popular these days.

• Like 1

With a Wigan side in the final and a 15-15 kick off time the Wakefield v Wigan game as i believe now been moved from an evening kick off to a 15-15 kick off on the same day:ph34r:

Why have the RFL allowed this to happen?Is there a reason for it or is it just substantiating what us NCL lovers really think and that is the RFL has no time for the National Conference League.Will the RFL officials be at Batley on Saturday?I will!Also with 4 days to go there is still nothing on the NCL website to promote Saturdays Final?

I can honestly see it getting dropped next season, which is a shame. That said, i'm all for making the National Cup great again so if the NCL trophy does cease then I'd hope many teams would look at the National (and regional) cups again. 

With regards the final - I know we're taking at least 3 coach loads over and many more will make their own way there, I'm sure Pat's will bring plenty as well, even if Warriors are still in top 4 contention by 3:15pm Saturday....;) . We should have pretty much a full strength side and the boys are really looking forward to this one. 

Good luck to both sides

21 hours ago, dinosore said:

With a Wigan side in the final and a 15-15 kick off time the Wakefield v Wigan game as i believe now been moved from an evening kick off to a 15-15 kick off on the same day:ph34r:

No doubt changed to keep the TV people happy.

The NCL really has lost its communication streams with the media, its been very poor this season, I would imagine the NCL website had a really high level of traffic prior to this year.

Hope both teams have a great day out

Breaking News: NCL twitter account has acknowledged the final is actually happening.....it's a slow burner and the website is still in denial to it's existence......small steps though.....very small steps..image.thumb.png.60bb0957209a74a37027ab821f6b38fa.png

I thought Parkside would have won the game down the middle with their Giant forwards but they won it with a far better kicking game imo.Their goal line defence was awesome also holding St.Pats up 3 times when they looked certain to score.To nil a Premier division side is impressive and proves they are more than a side who totally relies on their physicality!

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more, Neutralfan. Obviously we have a big pack but that was quite well matched by Pat's in fairness. I'm glad that the backs got the credit they deserved from this game because they can sometimes be left in the shadows when all that seems to get mentioned (and rightfully so a lot of the time) is our pack.

Andy Hulloch a well deserved MoM - he played the feel perfectly up and down the hill. He'll have been pushed close for it by the always outstanding fullback Craig McShane. 

Overall I thought our defence was fantastic and anticipated everything Pat's were setting up. Premier Division next will obviously be a different task entirely, playing teams with the quality of Pat's week in week out, but I think you'd struggle to find anyone who's watched/played against us from the Prem who wouldn't think we'll be challenging for that title next year. If we are then that'll be around 10 years hard work finally coming to fruition :)

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1

Great day out for the Hunslet fans , all the team played their part in this win , in the 1st half Jamie Bradley was outstanding , everyone was commenting how good this lad is . After the game , please to see the St Pats players and fans shaking our players/fans hands and wishing us all the best for next season , the clubs a credit to the game , the venue was also better than last year for food and drink service , the PA announced that the final would be back at Batley next year , Milford this Saturday , Bring on the Treble :clapping: