Sign in to follow this  
boat builder

Toronto game....Cresta front row...

boat builder    39

So do we have me second row... Morty acting halfback...Bearman kicking...and the tea ladies on the bench? Or do we send a full strength side? What's the best thing to do?

Edited by boat builder
Spell error
  • Like 1

TMF    122

Lol. Well, we take the guys who have played with the least number of games as a reward for sticking with us, presuming the other guys have already been to Canada. Who gives a toss what happens in Toronto, as long as we don't get beaten by a huge score. 

We need our best 17 now for the last three games. It's as simple as that.

georgeb1    191
5 minutes ago, TMF said:

Lol. Well, we take the guys who have played with the least number of games as a reward for sticking with us, presuming the other guys have already been to Canada. Who gives a toss what happens in Toronto, as long as we don't get beaten by a huge score. 

We need our best 17 now for the last three games. It's as simple as that.

Correct, why risk injuries, 

John WP Fan    42
1 hour ago, renfrew refugee said:

So get ready for another humiliation, laughing stock again after the last visa c*ck-up, what a waste of crowdfunding, we should be going out there to give them a good game.

Please send your best squad and give us your best shot. We know you're better than the result of your previous trip. There is no excuse not to try your best every game.

Edited by John WP Fan

RobertAM    409

agree with John, send your best, do your best and as much as we want to win we will welcome you to the den and regardless of the outcome we will hoist a pint with you in our famed beergarden afterwards.

richie keay    36

Don't know if barrow will have any fans at all at the game I don't know ant that are going especially after the last debacle and it being our 2nd visit to your fine country

On 9/3/2017 at 3:10 PM, boat builder said:

So do we have me second row... Monty acting halfback...Bearman kicking...and the tea ladies on the bench? Or do we send a full strength side? What's the best thing to do?

While on this side of the pond we obviously would like Barrow to show up full strength from a strategy point of view its understandable that really Barrow needs to fire up for its playoff games after Toronto.  Toronto would have to lose both remaining games in order not to automatically elevate - can anyone really see Doncaster beating them?

Were I Barrow I think I would be inclined to rest some prime starters and anyone who has nagging injuries and save them for the games that count.  And for better for for worse, the Toronto game does not count.

We Toronto fans are excited as a win next week and its a done deal.  But for Barrow, the focus is on winning the subsequent playoff games, so they also get elevated.  I think in fact Barrow might need the promotion more then Toronto just in order to draw fans back.

Barrow coaches and management have some difficult choices to make.  Were it me, I think I would be inclined to blood some of my secondary players - get them some playing time and work on techique for the team to see them successfully through the all impt playoff matches.   Do it right, and even though they might not win in Toronto, they can put up a better opposition vs last time, and also come out ahead in respect of their playoff prep.

Likely some fellow TWP fans won't like what I said, but I am looking at the big picture for Barrow here.

Edited by Captain Survival

Raider94    53

Well Whitehaven went and gave them a really good game last week so I'd be disappointed if we dont at least go and give them a go. We became a bit of a laughing stock after the last trip and all the stuff surrounding it we should be putting it right. 

• Like 2

Campeze    81

its all there guys. "We'll send the best team we can!"

there are obvious massive restraints on a part time team going over twice but we'll do our best with the best side available. 

• Like 1

Anonymouse    347

if I was coach i'd send my second string and give the first choice lads a rest and healing time . Can anyone from canada say what will happen next season in the championship as srely it will stick to it weekly home and awy system and there are many part time clubs in that league who are flirting with insolvency from season to season ? Barrow themselves if promoted could once again find themselves having another 2 trips over there if cup draws and shield or playoffs work out that way and potentially several trips to toulouse and catalan france if the dragons come down .

Edited by Anonymouse

TMF    122

And if he gets a visa, as Cresta alluded to. We got slated by the RL community for what happened last time, and you know what, we might have just deserved it, who knows? I think somebody from the club needs to explain how the system works and we were/weren't in the wrong/not in the wrong last visit. it's really been an embarrassment reading other RL clubs forums. 

Were we late in applying? Were some players refused due to a criminal record (No names mentioned of course)? Was it just a huge cock up? If it was, just admit it, get some credibility back and please, don't go again with a shortage of players. We'd never live it down. After all, we're going again next year.

RobertAM    409

BR you are a topnotch  club going into championship in 2018 along with our WP and we want to see a real ding-dong match similar to Whitehaven's effort..forget playing percentages go full tilt  this is League!

Anonymouse    347
4 hours ago, RobertAM said:

BR you are a topnotch  club going into championship in 2018 along with our WP and we want to see a real ding-dong match similar to Whitehaven's effort..forget playing percentages go full tilt  this is League!

disagree , barrow need to focus on beating haven or york , they wont go up if they slip up and lose key players before meeting those clubs .

RobertAM    409

nah, you play your best every game

• Like 1

Anonymouse    347
6 hours ago, RobertAM said:

nah, you play your best every game

you may not realise this as you were not around only 12 months ago Barrow failed to be elevated by a wolf's whisker in the final games and I'm sure they will make sure this will not happen again .

Edited by Anonymouse

shawy13    36

Would it be so disastrous if Barrow don't go up? There is a lot of noise being made about spending what in theory is a pretty insignificant amount going to Toronto again can they really afford to go up and strengthen the squad accordingly and stay up? 

Gates this year aren't great let's be honest and a lot of that can be put down to people not paying £15 to see Barrow get a cricket score against a pub team but will they really improve that much next year and if they do will they stay up should Barrow start to lose? 

Edited by shawy13

wonderofwood    203

Average gates at Barrow , York and Newcastle are on a par if not better than the gates seen at Swinton, Rochdale, Oldham , Dewsbury, Batley - and the teams in the championship have had the benefit of Bradford, Hull KR , Halifax and Fev visiting them this year which bump up their average gates.

Anonymouse    347

It is time for Barrow to go up , they have re built well and they have momentum and a good coach and board , they have stuck to internal structural and budgets and have reached where they need to be , the high's will not last for ever , especially if they do not granb promotion soon , so going up and failing will only work out the same as reaching their cuurent position then failing to advance on it . Who knows they may stay up a season or 2 , but in my opinion they have no choice but to give it a shot .

Edited by Anonymouse

Bearman    2,036
On 03/09/2017 at 8:10 PM, boat builder said:

So do we have me second row... Morty acting halfback...Bearman kicking...and the tea ladies on the bench? Or do we send a full strength side? What's the best thing to do?

I'm starting to worry. I have dubbined my boots and keep checking my emails but still no word from Cresta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RobertAM    409

When York played the pack at Bootham crescent  they clearly demonstrated the part that heart and effort plays in this sport. Any side that cannot, or more pointedly, doesn't want to do their utmost and would rather play it safe doesn't belong in this league. The Raiders have shown they belong all season - can't see them changing their M.O. for this Saturday.

wonderofwood    203
1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

When York played the pack at Bootham crescent  they clearly demonstrated the part that heart and effort plays in this sport. Any side that cannot, or more pointedly, doesn't want to do their utmost and would rather play it safe doesn't belong in this league. The Raiders have shown they belong all season - can't see them changing their M.O. for this Saturday.

The guys which will take to the pitch will give 100% , if you play this game giving anything less then your more likely to get injured. However trying to compare this Saturday with a game at Bootham Crescent ,as opposed to a round trip to Canada , for a dead rubber game ,especially with the Barrow clubs efforts over the last three years dependant on the three games after Toronto is ridiculous and shows you are really out of touch with this league. Toronto is great  for the game and hopefully will be a success but don't for one minute criticise clubs with their own agenda , operating on tight budgets trying to produce a product for the fans. 

and for what its worth I was at Bootham Crescent that day and there was a good deal of skill , speed, structure and technique that won the day for York. Barrows M.O for Saturday will be to get out of there with no injuries and less than a 60 point turnaround just the same as when they played Leeds in the cup. Then its down to the important part of the season for them. 

RobertAM    409

How did I criticize the club?

This from someone who is suggesting they will get thrashed in an unimportant game so they should play it safe. And I'm out of touch.