Sign in to follow this  
kjlast

My first RL Challenge Cup Final experience

Hello, I've just joined this forum and wanted to post about my experience of the Challenge Cup Final just over a week ago.

It was only my third ever live Rugby League match (I'm 48) even though I grew up watching the Final on TV back in the 80s - the first of which I remember watching on tv was Hull v Hull KR in 1980. 

I live in Kent, so a fair way from the RL heartlands, hence my lack of live games over the years. The first one I attended was the first match Kent Invicta played in Maidstone in about 83/84, then a couple of years ago I ended up shooting a London Broncos v St Helens match for a photography agency. 

So that was it until the recent Challenge Cup Final, Hull v Wigan. The tickets were very well priced incidentally, something that Football could learn a trick or two from RL over, so I thought I'd give it a go. The only downside was the fact they were on the top tier of Wembley, and having walked up the seemingly never ending stairs to reach the level I was struggling quite a lot (I'm partly disabled and wish I had taken the option of getting the lift up, I got it back down again I can assure you !!)

The tickets were in the middle of the Hull fans, and what a great, friendly bunch they were. Particularly the bloke sitting next to me and his brother, who were very kind in trying to answer my probably ridiculous questions about the game (I'm more familiar with the other Rugby code im afraid) with a smile and laugh. 

So I just wanted to say thanks to them, the Hull fans, and Rugby League in general for a great day out - I've spent the past week or so in trying to pass the word on via Facebook & Twitter and get a few more people to try the Challenge Cup Final next season for a great value big match at Wembley watching a wonderful sport with friendly fans. 

Please don't change too much in the future in the quest for sporting World domination as you have a great product already. 

(I had such a great time I've decided to start collecting Rugby League Challenge Cup Final match programmes - hello eBay !!)

• Like 18

You don't have to climb stairs at Wembley, their are escalators ???

Unfortunately not in the entrance my ticket was for - just hurded up a staircase. 

I was actually at the FA Trophy/Vase Final back in May, seats were in the posh middle corporate section, and that was a whole other experience of Wembley with escalators, stewards falling over themselves to help and call you 'Sir', and a taste of how the other half live :) 

Yes you should do so if you can - tickets were from £20 upwards so very good value for money and a great experience all round