Sign in to follow this  
B rad

PNG Hunters into the Grand Final

Absolutely fantastic and totally justifies the decision to include them in the Queensland cup. Just imagine the position the PNG national side would be in now  in terms of the number of kumuls at their disposal playing at the highest levels if the port moresby vipers hadn't been booted out of the competition 20 years ago.

It'll be interesting to see if any NRL, super league, championship or even other Queensland cup sides pick up any of their players. I'd like to see stargroth Amean and the boas brothers given a shot in the NRL. I also think the Albert brothers and the hooker puara could do a job in the NRL.

• Like 1

Are you watching NSW cup officials??? Let the Fijians in already!!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Are you watching NSW cup officials??? Let the Fijians in already!!!

The NSW Cup gets nowhere near the coverage and exposure that the QLD Cup gets. Fiji would be better off in the Queensland competition. 

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Copa said:

The NSW Cup gets nowhere near the coverage and exposure that the QLD Cup gets. Fiji would be better off in the Queensland competition. 

NSW cup or Queensland cup. Makes no difference. They need to be let in ASAP.

The Queensland Cup is a pretty tough competition and this is one hell of an achievement. Playing back in Port Morseby has made a huge difference. If they can win it then they will play the winners on the NSW Cup on NRL GF Day - which will be unbelievable!

• Like 1

Fantastic news. Hopefully all these PNG players playing at a higher level will bode well for the national team. Also hopefully the better structures and methods that the PNG Hunter players are exposed to also filters down to the domestic competition too making the game as a whole in PNG far stronger.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The Queensland Cup is a pretty tough competition and this is one hell of an achievement. Playing back in Port Morseby has made a huge difference. If they can win it then they will play the winners on the NSW Cup on NRL GF Day - which will be unbelievable!

I would look forward to that game almost as much as the grand final!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Damien said:

Fantastic news. Hopefully all these PNG players playing at a higher level will bode well for the national team. Also hopefully the better structures and methods that the PNG Hunter players are exposed to also filters down to the domestic competition too making the game as a whole in PNG far stronger.

Let's keep moving forward by introducing a PNG u20's side into the Holden cup and announcing a 2nd team from Lae by 2020.

And still they are the only club in the QLD cup that isn't a feeder club to an NRL side. If no one picks them up, even if I was a Super League club Id look at the possibility of creating an affiliation. 

Edited by B rad
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, B rad said:

And still they are the only club in the QLD cup that isn't a feeder club to an NRL side. If no one picks them up, even if I was a Super League club Id look at the possibility of creating an affiliation. 

Great highlights!

A big crowd too. The stadium must have been shaking when the try was scored.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wackojacko said:

U20's would be a fantastic help for the game there too. Think some SL teams should be looking at the Hunters, there's a few who could really do a job.

Exactly. They just need a chance to shine and show what they can do. Plus can you see the hunters players wanting top $$ to sign??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, B rad said:

I have mixed feelings about that because don't NRL clubs send their squad players and up and coming youngsters to these feeder clubs for gametime who would take the places of the homegrown kumuls??

Maybe the NRL clubs should just sign up some hunters players and monitor them in their own feeder clubs.

3 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I have mixed feelings about that because don't NRL clubs send their squad players and up and coming youngsters to these feeder clubs for gametime who would take the places of the homegrown kumuls??

Maybe the NRL clubs should just sign up some hunters players and monitor them in their own feeder clubs.

Well the other final was played between the 2 storm feeder clubs. So the PNG players would play for the hunters the other players would be sent to a different feeder club.

7 minutes ago, B rad said:

Well the other final was played between the 2 storm feeder clubs. So the PNG players would play for the hunters the other players would be sent to a different feeder club.

Right. So if the North Queensland cowboys linked up with the hunters for example the cowboys would have 1st pick of the hunters players who they liked the look of??

1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

Right. So if the North Queensland cowboys linked up with the hunters for example the cowboys would have 1st pick of the hunters players who they liked the look of??

Yep, while their other players would play for the Blackhawks. 

1 minute ago, B rad said:

Yep, while their other players would play for the Blackhawks. 

Well if I was the cowboys I'd be linking up with the hunters yesterday. Even if it was just to get my hands on the boas brothers and Stanton Albert. Maybe even stargroth amean.

On 10/09/2017 at 8:19 PM, B rad said:

Watching that made me very excited for the World Cup, it's gonna be the best atmosphere the tournament's ever seen. There was some incredible defence there too, that try saver in the first half was unreal. Not sure about immigration policy but if I were Cats I'd look to buy up their spine wholesale, Boas, Puara, Amean and Albert look like the real deal and I can't imagine these boys lazing around.

On 10/09/2017 at 8:15 PM, walter sobchak said:

Absolutely fantastic and totally justifies the decision to include them in the Queensland cup. Just imagine the position the PNG national side would be in now  in terms of the number of kumuls at their disposal playing at the highest levels if the port moresby vipers hadn't been booted out of the competition 20 years ago.

It'll be interesting to see if any NRL, super league, championship or even other Queensland cup sides pick up any of their players. I'd like to see stargroth Amean and the boas brothers given a shot in the NRL. I also think the Albert brothers and the hooker puara could do a job in the NRL.

The Storm signed Justin Olam from the Hunters last year. The Raiders also signed Kato Ottio from the Hunters. Willie Minoga had a contract with the cowboys but has returned and the Albert brothers had contracts with the Panthers but also returned. No doubt after this year a few more might get picked up

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Buderus said:

The Storm signed Justin Olam from the Hunters last year. The Raiders also signed Kato Ottio from the Hunters. Willie Minoga had a contract with the cowboys but has returned and the Albert brothers had contracts with the Panthers but also returned. No doubt after this year a few more might get picked up

If I were Bradford Id sign most the team. They would be back in Super League before they knew it.