Tony Smith leaving Wolves (merged threads)

44 minutes ago, MZH said:

Shame. I've always liked Tony Smith, but I suppose all coaching jobs have a shelf life. I don't think he will be out of the game for long. 

McGuire in suppose? That will improve the rucks in SL no end. 

Wolves better prepare for some boring one out Rugby if Maguire gets the job.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Agar's not getting the job.

He's heading off to Australia (allegedly)

What is he been found guilty of.

(Blatant opening for OF)

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

We will only know whether this is good, bad, or indifferent news when we see what Warrington look like next season. Certainly the news that Hiku was leaving was another painful nail in a miserable season and made me think the club was/is in a real downward spiral in terms of what it can offer to current and prospective players.

I can only say thank you to Tony Smith for his service to Warrington and for presiding over the finest moments in my time as a fan. We have played some of the finest rugby of the Super League era during his spell in charge, and turned in some of the great performances. He made us believe that winning trophies was for the likes of us, and went on and did it.

This season's performances have not been good enough, and the worrying thing has been the lack of a change in approach or any visible plan. The squad he leaves is in need of renewal in a number of key positions, and of an update in the style of play to adapt to how teams are playing right now.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

We played Warrington at our place in the challenge cup a couple of years ago and got walloped. Tony Smith was very complimentary towards Oldham and our players which was a lovely gesture as he gave a team talk to our boys at full time.A" gentleman" that's what I think of Tony Smith,a quality sometimes lacking in today's society.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

This season's performances have not been good enough, and the worrying thing has been the lack of a change in approach or any visible plan. The squad he leaves is in need of renewal in a number of key positions, and of an update in the style of play to adapt to how teams are playing right now.

I agree with this but can't see Maguire - if he is the one- being the one to change this.  I hope that I'm wrong.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think its 2 or 3 years too late. Smith was great for Warrington but they have certainly gone stale in the last few years and in my opinion have underachieved with the team and squad they have had,

Ehh!?

Two or three years he has underachieved!?!?

Last year they finished top of the pile having scored more and conceded less than any other team. They reached the final of the cup going down to Hull by two and also reached the Grand Final losing by a whisker.

They also won their leg of the World Club Challenge to boot.

Whilst things have gone stale this season, don’t talk rubbish by having us believe he has underachieved for many seasons!

I've always thought that his post-match interviews - win, lose or draw - were invariably gracious and measured. 

There's a few other coaches around who could learn lessons from the way he conducted himself.

Good luck to the guy, I expect he'll soon be into another coaching job

10 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

I agree with this but can't see Maguire - if he is the one- being the one to change this.  I hope that I'm wrong.

What will the wire fans think if maguire brings the success they yearn for like he did at Wigan - style / substance ? Not loaded , just asking what they're priority is 

I heard a while ago, from a source that I trust, that the signing of Taylor Prell was Moran's decision  and that Tony Smith wanted no part of it.  If true, and if there have been other similar signings, it explains a lot.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

2 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Ehh!?

Two or three years he has underachieved!?!?

Last year they finished top of the pile having scored more and conceded less than any other team. They reached the final of the cup going down to Hull by two and also reached the Grand Final losing by a whisker.

They also won their leg of the World Club Challenge to boot.

Whilst things have gone stale this season, don’t talk rubbish by having us believe he has underachieved for many seasons!

Sorry but top of the pile isn't worth anything apart from the hubcap. The Grand Final is what matters and teams are primed to win this. The LLS is a bonus but really isn't what matters in the system that we have.

So you don't think with the squad he has had and the money that Warrington has spent that he shouldn't have won the Grand Final at least once? For a good 5 years Warrington have had a really strong squad and a very good team, arguably the best in the league on paper. For a good 3 season round about 2013 they were my favourites to win the Grand Final. Since 2012 they have a hubcap to show for it.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

What will the wire fans think if maguire brings the success they yearn for like he did at Wigan - style / substance ? Not loaded , just asking what they're priority is 

Speaking for myself, I've supported Warrington since 1971 and whilst I've seen them win plenty of trophies, I've never seen them win the big one: indeed they haven't done so in my lifetime.  So if we won the Grand Final under Maguire with his trademark style then I'm enough of a hypocrite to be very, very happy.

36 minutes ago, Padge said:

What is he been found guilty of.

(Blatant opening for OF)

Well it can't of been for coaching!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

26 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

He brought discipline and structure to a Wigan team that desperately needed it.

You could argue that, with Warrington currently performing as less than the sum of their parts, he could actually be the right man for the job, at least in the short term. If he can do what he did at Wigan, he can straighten out what's currently wrong and mentor a successor, as he did with Shaun Wane.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry but top of the pile isn't worth anything apart from the hubcap. The Grand Final is what matters and teams are primed to win this. The LLS is a bonus but really isn't what matters in the system that we have.

So you don't think with the squad he has had and the money that Warrington has spent that he shouldn't have won the Grand Final at least once? For a good 5 years Warrington have had a really strong squad and a very good team, arguably the best in the league on paper. For a good 3 season round about 2013 they were my favourites to win the Grand Final. Since 2012 they have a hubcap to show for it.

I always think there is a contradiction with Wire players. Whenever we sign a player they are useless - Lineham, Westerman, Sims, Gidley etc. or when our players are touted for England they are criticised (Myler, Atkins etc) but I often hear people suggest we have had the best team on paper.

There are a lot of average players in that squad, and whilst we have been up there most of the time the only clubs to have regularly outperformed us are Saints, Leeds and Wigan who all have bigger crowds, better youth, great facilities and are giants over here. There is no disgrace to losing out through a world class tackle, a poor pass, a missed kick etc - that is why sport is amazing.

22 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

Speaking for myself, I've supported Warrington since 1971 and whilst I've seen them win plenty of trophies, I've never seen them win the big one: indeed they haven't done so in my lifetime.  So if we won the Grand Final under Maguire with his trademark style then I'm enough of a hypocrite to be very, very happy.

Yep. Im a Wire fan, im sad to see Smith under these terms, but I will support whoever is in charge next year.

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

He took the Wire from perennial underachievers to active challengers. The Wire were also investing like mad before he arrived but they didn’t come close to anything. Smith did the same at Leeds too, namely creating a winning team.

Spending money guarantees absolutely zero and given the fact most clubs in the league spend the full salary cap, achieving something is considerably harder than in say soccer.

I would say Leeds must have lost the cup final a good 3 or 4 times in the last 15 years but then went on to win the Grand Final in the same year. Warrington have done something similar but in reverse.

No team has a divine right to win because they have a good squad on paper. Many clubs, over the same period, also have had good squads. The most you can *expect* is that they are competitive and if they don’t win they run close.

In the last 10 Grand Finals Saints have been in 6 which is joint most with Leeds. Leeds has won all 6 yet Saints have won just the 1. In your eyes this makes Saints underachievers when clearly they have proved to be consistently one of the best.

His time, overall, at Warrington has been a success with the three unforgettable Wembley victories the stuff that lifetime memories are made of.

I used to look on with envy at the Grand Final each year with only minimal hope of ever seeing my own team in its spotlight.  But I haven't yet been brainwashed by Sky that that one match defines your season.  Warrington have had some great seasons during Smith's time and I can't imagine a better season than 2011 happening under the current salary cap restrictions, a season when we didn't even reach one of the two finals.

But 2017 has been very, very poor.  You would think that the threat of Championship rugby would be enough to instill some commitment and urgency, but even our Qualifiers' form has been far below what that squad are capable of.  Add to that some indifferent, at times puzzling, acquisitions in recent years and Smith's retention for 2018 just wasn't possible.

Even if the new coach were to be victorious at Old Trafford in a year's time, they'll have to go some in my mind to match Smith's period.  It's definitely time for a change though.  Just the assistant to move on, an intensive pre-season and 2018 just has to be better.

Archived