Sign in to follow this  
TMF

Congratulationd to TWP

TMF    122

Not bothered about starting a thread really but wouldn't mind some comments. I know some at Barrow have felt hard done by with TWP's inclusion this season and we've suffered a lot of criticism from the RL community over our first visit to Canada and I know the fixture list was a load of crud etc, etc. Nobody has been more critical than me this season over some of these issues. 

However, i've had time to reflect and I know this. One guy, found Rugby League, fell in love with it, thought my countrymen would love this great sport and decided to put his money where his mouth is. At the outset, it seemed the most ridiculous concept. Another continent with no history of RL, no fans, enormous distances to travel. Sounds crazy, but this guy did it. He did it, like it or not.

Yes, I know it's caused a lot of problems for some teams, ours more than most, but it also helped others with best gates of the season, more money to them etc. The fly in the ointment of course was the RL not forseeing the problems in their quest for expansionism. I just pray they have learnt the lessons of this season before rushing towards 'expansionism' regardless.

I would like to remind some people we also had a guy who decided to put his money where his mouth was, and brought great success to the club. I'm not going into what happened because i don't know and never met the guy, but I'll always be grateful for the success. So let's not be jealous for what our cousins overseas have done and i would like to think all Barrow supporters wish them well in their endeavour. Would love to see a few of them in the Raiders bar next season. Wonder what they would make of the sausage and chips in the Ambrose? Might have to put moose on the menu.

• Like 4

Bearman    2,037

Over all I agree. I took issue with some of the things the Toronto CLUB did but the Canadian fans have certainly embraced the game. I hope it can be a catalyst for raising the profile of the  whole game. I wish them well.

Hopefully we will be going again next year. I am hoping I can make the trip again and I have started saving £2 coins towards the cost.

Whilst I was out there I met up with Kayakman ( who told me he was having to tske a break from rugby due to family reasons). He brought a big bag of moose sausage that he had killed,  butchered and made into sausages, so he would certainly like it if the Ambrose made those. The snack bar in the ground would do a roaring trade with the Canucks as they already serve what is effectively the Canadian national dish "Poutine" ( chips, cheese and gravy).

TMF    122

Hi Ron, it's a  learning curve for them. You didn't say if you ate a one of those sausages or not? I'll have a word with the landlady but don't hold your breath.

TMF    122

She said this is Barrow. You can have mouse sausage, not moose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As a Canadian fan who has followed Barrow closely this season for obvious reasons I would agree that Barrow certainly did get the short end of the stick this season in the overall draw, but its the measure of a man (or team in this instance) that they are on the cusp of overcoming it and if they can seal the deal in their playoff games, then next year can be a new beginning for the club.

What Perez has accomplished, let alone what is known to be in the wind, is quite remarkable. His story is equal parts determination and imagination, and I think will one day perhaps be part of marketing 101.

As has bee noted by myself and others its not really that rugby had no history or fans in Canada, but it certainly was out of sight, out of mind for Canadians.  When Montreal comes out of the gate that is really going to change in a big way I think.  TWP is already getting front or inside 1st page coverage in the Toronto newspapers, and with a Montreal franchise the state will only get better.

I can assure you all of us over here will be following Barrow's progress every step of the next few weeks.  It has several quite dynamic tough players.  I do think the club will have to tool up more then TWP to be competitive in Championship > but that is a discussion for another thread by club loyalists who know the club better then I.

• Like 1