Big Picture

Wolfpack's success may bring another Canadian squad to English league

On this weeks League 1 podcast Perez makes the point that the next team to be announced will be Canadian rather than New York.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bearman said:

On this weeks League 1 podcast Perez makes the point that the next team to be announced will be Canadian rather than New York.

Yes.  And Montreal has been planned for some time.

Montreal will be the next team and it seems like the ground work has started for a NY team in the future. i m really looking forward to a Toronto Montreal derby!!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

Can we hope for Montreal to be in for 2018 and NY for 2019? Makes sense to me

This is where I get nervous.

A few months to get a team ready for taking part in a trans-Atlantic league does not seem long (even if they have been in the works for a while). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

This is where I get nervous.

A few months to get a team ready for taking part in a trans-Atlantic league does not seem long (even if they have been in the works for a while). 

Fair enough and I agree it would probably best to make sure that the next side does as the Wolfpack has done and rises quickly to garner interest and support.

But I want that asap so if in any way they could arrange that by 2018 and be that dominant, that would be great. If not, I appreciate why

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

If the team is announced by February will that be enough time for the 2018 season? Thinking about it they might be starting in 2019 and maybe it will be both NY and Montreal by then?  The season starts in March  so if they are to start next year I would expect the announcement has to be made before the end of the year and that the RFL is already planning the schedule with them in there. a lot of recruitment would have to happen as well in a short period of time unless again, it's been going on in the background already.

It would ###### off a lot of Bradford and traditional heartland fans as they would have huge competition for promotion back to the championship and might not go back up next year.

Edited by Krzzystuff

14 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

It would ###### off a lot of Bradford and traditional heartland fans as they would have huge competition for promotion back to the championship and might not go back up next year.

You are a great fan of this game, but if you expect the rules for promotion and relegation to be the same for a season two years from now; then you are still naive!
:D

• Haha 1

This is where some cautious aggression or aggressive cautiousness needs to come in.  Every two years would allow focus on the new side's teething troubles and the foibles of that particular locale whilst putting in place a solid administration team.

Can anyone shed any light on the travel and visa implications for teams heading to matches in the US from the UK?

• Like 1

I wonder whether Toronto's strengthening for the championship will mean recruiting a few players and letting a few others go, and whether those released might end up elsewhere in North America? Even allowing for Montreal potentially being a copy and paste of a winning formula, March 2018 seems a bit soon.

Here is the timeline:

• Next Canadian team will be announced within six months and start playing 2019. 
  • New York 2020
  • World domination 2025 :hunter:
Edited by ojx
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

You are a great fan of this game, but if you expect the rules for promotion and relegation to be the same for a season two years from now; then you are still naive!

lol yeah i know that there was a lot of anger towards the RFl and how they handled the schedule this year and teh whole Bradford situation. Hopefully they get everything sorted without secrecy  for 2019 when they expect the new TV deal,  maybe the global aspect of the NA teams gives the RFL a bit more weight in the negotiations?

We're a part of the RL family now too so don't forget we have as much an interest in the success of the league as everyone in the UK...even the cranky doomseekrs 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanaBull said:

This is where some cautious aggression or aggressive cautiousness needs to come in.  Every two years would allow focus on the new side's teething troubles and the foibles of that particular locale whilst putting in place a solid administration team.

Can anyone shed any light on the travel and visa implications for teams heading to matches in the US from the UK?

So long as they aren't from Mexico or the middle east they shouldn't have any problems, otherwise....

2 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Surely their not starting in League 1? And I'd have thought they'd have left it longer before entering another team? And isn't their a conflict of interest if Perez is involved in TWP, Montreal and NYC?

That is an interesting point. I think this will only become a concern once there are two teams in the same league and I just see him not being involved on the board of more than one team at that point. He's a Toronto boy so TWP will always be his team I believe unless he runs for the RFL or a new World Rugby League leadership in the future.

Perez for Prez!!!!

Toronto Wolfpack?

Some say yea and some say nay

and some may wish they'd go away

but love 'em or leave 'em you'd have to agree

their city and fans are a sight to see ............

http://www.totalrl.com/memories-toronto-totalrls-video-blog-special-canada/

:girlwerewolf:

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Honor James said:

Toronto Wolfpack?

Some say yea and some say nay

and some may wish they'd go away

but love 'em or leave 'em you'd have to agree

their city and fans are a sight to see ............

http://www.totalrl.com/memories-toronto-totalrls-video-blog-special-canada/

:girlwerewolf:

Thank you for postings as I had not seen that video.  But it certainly gives anyone who cannot attend a feel for the game experience.  And once one gets an understanding of how many people you can fit in the hospitality area perhaps all the murmurs about TWP attendance will be vanquished.   You can see it in his face and feel it in his words as he tries to express just how different the experience is versus the normal game outing back home.  Literally different worlds.

I thought it was pretty funny when he was marveling at what he could do with his VIP credentials - he was beside himself as to what to do next! LOL

Edited by Captain Survival
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BenGilesRL said:

I assess that TWP management has been templating, and it will be the basis of how Montreal and NY would join.  As Air Transat is based from Montreal that part of the equation is easily resolved.  I had heard perhaps Ryan Air for NY and they or another USA charter carrier would make sense.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

I wonder whether Toronto's strengthening for the championship will mean recruiting a few players and letting a few others go, and whether those released might end up elsewhere in North America? Even allowing for Montreal potentially being a copy and paste of a winning formula, March 2018 seems a bit soon.

I would strongly suspect that Montreal would be picking up some TWP players.  In fact it could easily be that some players are approached and advised "we want to move you to Montreal to be the basis of that squad" and if you were a player and given that option or the highway, what might you choose?

I could see Ryan Burroughs, Tom Dempsey, and Quinn all going to Montreal go gain more experience and game time, and Burroughs eventually ending up in NY with 2+ seasons of prime experience under his belt.  Other candidates to transfer might be Dixon, Wheeler, Penky, Whiting, Sidlow, even FFMM.

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I agree with you.   I think the league is in fact playing a wait and see approach - they are getting more variables thrown at them then perhaps they are used to - not just NA but the French clubs, and a lot of mainstays in throes of reorganization.  I know you and many others have been participants in a number of threads hashing out what the future holds - we have a ton of forum speculation, some positive, some very negative.  But really its anyone's guess other then the current status quo I believe we all agree will not continue.  I think the league itself has said as little as possible on the matter, and I don't blame them.

1 hour ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Surely their not starting in League 1? And I'd have thought they'd have left it longer before entering another team? And isn't their a conflict of interest if Perez is involved in TWP, Montreal and NYC?

Perez said Montreal has been told it is to start in L1 as well.  Ours not to reason why.....

Edited by Captain Survival
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Survival said:

I know you and many others have been participants in a number of threads hashing out what the future holds - we have a ton of forum speculation, some positive, some very negative.  But really its anyone's guess other then the current status quo I believe we all agree will not continue.  I think the league itself has said as little as possible on the matter, and I don't blame them.

When I was a young man, I was driven mad by girlfriends who would complain bitterly about their problems but refuse to accept any solution as they preferred to sulk.  Had I not known the rugby league community, I would have wrongly thought it a specifically female trait.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, BenGilesRL said:

No, it's looking like Montreal for 2019 and NY for 2020, assuming the latter can sort a ground out

6 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

He's effectively acting as a consultant so no real conflict of interest, particularly as he's not involved in the playing front 

4 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

I assess that TWP management has been templating, and it will be the basis of how Montreal and NY would join.  As Air Transat is based from Montreal that part of the equation is easily resolved.  I had heard perhaps Ryan Air for NY and they or another USA charter carrier would make sense.

Ryanair is not a charter airline and doesn't do long haul, and isn't currently wanting to. 

Potential NY carriers from U.K. side could be Jet 2, Thomas Cook, Norwegian or Virgin from Manchester. From the US side though I have heard JetBlue are interested in doing transatlantic flights so I would say they are most likely, along with either Jet 2 or Virgin.