Robthegasman

2018 and possible new signings

Recommended Posts

Well now we have once again survived another Championship season time to turn attention to new signings.One player who I would very much like to see sign is Michael Ward from Oldham as he is a big forward who can score tries and he looks a beast at that too.And I would think that with Oldham going down he may well be ready to move on and given the salary cap he may well be affordable too.

Personally I think he would do a job for us and as I mentioned previously he may well be an affordable player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be totally wrong here and an exodus of players from the current Oldham squad will be greater that I can dread,  but Wardy is an Oldhamer through and through.  I'd be gobsmacked if he moved on.

We have a nucleus of players at the club who are either from Oldham or matured at the club and I'm hoping they'll stick around to form the nucleus of a new squad.   

To put it another way, keep yer mits off our Wardy :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2017 at 10:02 PM, Robthegasman said:

Well now we have once again survived another Championship season time to turn attention to new signings.One player who I would very much like to see sign is Michael Ward from Oldham as he is a big forward who can score tries and he looks a beast at that too.And I would think that with Oldham going down he may well be ready to move on and given the salary cap he may well be affordable too.

Personally I think he would do a job for us and as I mentioned previously he may well be an affordable player.

Mick Ward is a good forward. Unfortunately for other clubs I think he's an oldhamer through and through. Don't think he'd go anywhere else. He came through our youth system we used to have back in the days of Tony Benson. So he's been with us for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck Lions in 2018, hopefully I will get to see some next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/09/2017 at 11:26 PM, moorside roughyed said:

Mick Ward is a good forward. Unfortunately for other clubs I think he's an oldhamer through and through. Don't think he'd go anywhere else. He came through our youth system we used to have back in the days of Tony Benson. So he's been with us for a while.

He certainly is a good forward I agree with you there,and yes he is Oldhamer through and through and I am sure that he loves the club,will he want to play in Championship 1 though which we both know is poor?he may think that he is at a stage where he wants to be in the Championship and if we were to offer him terms that may sway him towards the Lions and as he is an Oldham lad he may not want to play for the Hornets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

He certainly is a good forward I agree with you there,and yes he is Oldhamer through and through and I am sure that he loves the club,will he want to play in Championship 1 though which we both know is poor?he may think that he is at a stage where he wants to be in the Championship and if we were to offer him terms that may sway him towards the Lions and as he is an Oldham lad he may not want to play for the Hornets

Your right about one thing,he would probably rather die than play for hornet's. I think he plays because he loves the game and he enjoys representing his town.He already has a good job so I wouldn't say he does it for the money.I've seen his reaction when we've had near misses on promotion (we've had a few of them in the past),Sat on the pitch at Leigh sports village a few years ago when we lost to Rochdale, he was distraught to say the least.Money in lower league sport is tight to say the least and your club won't want to put themselves in the same position as few weeks ago this time next season. We'll have to see who stays,who goes,whatever. The only thing we do know is we'll both be there shouting, screaming for our respective teams next season.I hope we can rejoin you all in 2019,I think we all would want that wouldn't we?.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

Your right about one thing,he would probably rather die than play for hornet's. I think he plays because he loves the game and he enjoys representing his town.He already has a good job so I wouldn't say he does it for the money.I've seen his reaction when we've had near misses on promotion (we've had a few of them in the past),Sat on the pitch at Leigh sports village a few years ago when we lost to Rochdale, he was distraught to say the least.Money in lower league sport is tight to say the least and your club won't want to put themselves in the same position as few weeks ago this time next season. We'll have to see who stays,who goes,whatever. The only thing we do know is we'll both be there shouting, screaming for our respective teams next season.I hope we can rejoin you all in 2019,I think we all would want that wouldn't we?.

Yes absolutely 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day most players at this level are probably on one year deals.Therefore they can pretty much sign for whoever provides the best pay and terms. It is what it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swinton have released a statement on their website about players definitely coming back for 2018.

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/384

So far:

Andy Bracek

Andy Thornley 

Matt Sarsfield

Rhodri Lloyd

Chris Hankinson

 

What do you think of those so far and what do you think the Lions need to stay up?

I can see it being a real dogfight with Rochdale, Barrow and Dewsbury with any two going down (providing the structure isn’t changed too radically).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Swinton have released a statement on their website about players definitely coming back for 2018.

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/384

So far:

Andy Bracek

Andy Thornley 

Matt Sarsfield

Rhodri Lloyd

Chris Hankinson

 

What do you think of those so far and what do you think the Lions need to stay up?

I can see it being a real dogfight with Rochdale, Barrow and Dewsbury with any two going down (providing the structure isn’t changed too radically).

Sarsfield missed all last season so he'll be a real bonus if he stays fit as probably one of the divisions best forwards and Thornley missed half a season and is our captain and another class act 

Keep recruitment going with class like these five and keep them fit plus if we dual reg with Wigan again and they don't have an injury crisis there's a better season ahead I hope 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mark richardson said:
On 14/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Swinton have released a statement on their website about players definitely coming back for 2018.

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/384

So far:

Andy Bracek

Andy Thornley 

Matt Sarsfield

Rhodri Lloyd

Chris Hankinson

 

What do you think of those so far and what do you think the Lions need to stay up?

I can see it being a real dogfight with Rochdale, Barrow and Dewsbury with any two going down (providing the structure isn’t changed too radically).

Sarsfield missed all last season so he'll be a real bonus if he stays fit as probably one of the divisions best forwards and Thornley missed half a season and is our captain and another class act 

Keep recruitment going with class like these five and keep them fit plus if we dual reg with Wigan again and they don't have an injury crisis there's a better season ahead I hope 

Sounds positive.

I didn’t see enough of Swinton last year to gauge the impact of the injuries and only really got seriously interested when the big appeal went out for support.

I then bought a shirt and went to a couple of the games.

I think you’re right that another dual reg with Wigan would really help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Swinton’s official website:

MIKE BUTT SIGNS FOR 2018 SEASON

The club is thrilled to announce that winger Mike Butt has signed terms which will keep him at Swinton for next season.

Since joining the Lions in 2015 from university Rugby League, Mike has developed into one of the Championship’s most feared wingers, and last season he ended the campaign as the Lions’ leading scorer with 19 tries. This impressive effort also gained him a place amongst the whole division’s top seven try scorers. Mike’s try scoring exploits also earned him the accolade of Swinton’s Young Player of the Year Award for 2017.

Head Coach Stuart Littler said, “Mike has been another very consistent performer for us and he has now confirmed his value as an excellent Championship winger."

"The scope for Mike’s further development is tremendous, particularly in view of his commitment and attitude. Mike loves the club and I’m delighted that he’s decided to stay on board with us. He has a very bright future in the game.”

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/384

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Swinton have released a statement on their website about players definitely coming back for 2018.

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/384

So far:

Andy Bracek

Andy Thornley 

Matt Sarsfield

Rhodri Lloyd

Chris Hankinson

 

What do you think of those so far and what do you think the Lions need to stay up?

I can see it being a real dogfight with Rochdale, Barrow and Dewsbury with any two going down (providing the structure isn’t changed too radically).

 

Cant see ya going down we signed our top players back on Aaron brown Guzdek Moore teanby and Morton and we got best coach in league in Neil Kelly (dewsbury fan)  please don't time waste next season swinton 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

Cant see ya going down we signed our top players back on Aaron brown Guzdek Moore teanby and Morton and we got best coach in league in Neil Kelly (dewsbury fan)  please don't time waste next season swinton 

 

Aaron Brown had a very good game at Heywood Rd last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, Gerrumonside ref said:

 

I can see it being a real dogfight with Rochdale, Barrow and Dewsbury with any two going down (providing the structure isn’t changed too radically).

 

No relegation dogfight with Dewsbury this season I'm afraid

 

We should be out of it with the team we've signed on.. Oh and a better coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coolie said:

No relegation dogfight with Dewsbury this season I'm afraid

 

We should be out of it with the team we've signed on.. Oh and a better coach

Fair enough, mate.

How do you reckon the Championship will play out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

49 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough, mate.

How do you reckon the Championship will play out?

Jewsbury relegated :clapping:with Sheffield please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Batley Bob said:

 

Jewsbury relegated :clapping:with Sheffield please

£20 we finish above you next year BB?

Btw you won Northern rail 2010 all in the past. Have you ever won a grand final?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

£20 we finish above you next year BB?

Btw you won Northern rail 2010 all in the past. Have you ever won a grand final?

Yep , we beat jewsbury in 2005 Grand Final at Widnes , thought you would have known that Graham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough, mate.

How do you reckon the Championship will play out?

League is split into 3 already 

Those who have

Toronto 

Toulouse 

Leigh (but don't be surprised we end up with Salford instead) 

London

Featherstone 

Halifax

Mid table mediocrity 

Batley

Sheffield 

Dewsbury

Those likely to struggle

Barrow

Swinton

Rochdale

It could end up in 2 if the bottom 6 teams bunch up and some do better than expected 

For the drop 

Swinton

Rochdale

 

We shall see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday