Wire - place your bets

Lowdesert

I think Maguire is a non starter, reports saying he's unlikely to take the Gold Coast job as he's reluctant to move his family from Sydney - Warrington would seem a stretch in that case!

More likely to see an assistant coming over, unless Mr Powell fancies a change and Cas are feeling generous...?!?

Just now, Scubby said:

I really think they should look at Andrew Henderson down at London. This guy is a star coach in the making and they play some fantastic football. 

Good call.  The report indicates substantial amounts have gone on in Betfred.  In my experience, that's thousands, but 3s for McGuire and Toovey is well away from odds on.  

With a Bulldogs, maybe, and GC job available I would guess on McGuire and Pay being favourite for those.  Jason Demitriou would be a good fit, given his playing history and the respect he's gained as a coach.

Judging by the Maguire family situation and the flat-out denial by Broomhead that we'd even spoken to him, I think it's a non-starter.

I'd quite like to see what Pay could do with this squad bolstered by a decent half to steer us round the park.   Maybe Hodkinson or similar.   Solid but not spectacular.

Garth Brennan also seems to get big raps and this could the platform to prove himself, in the same way Maguire did.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

It looks very unlikely that maguire will move at this time. It has though been openly discussed on TV shows over here (in Sydney this week) that he has an offer. The timing works well for his negotiating position with his NRL suitors though, so I would doubt it is more than a negotiating stance. He is a premiership winning coach and ambitious so will look to stay here for now. He still has a house in wigan though, so may come back somewhere down the line. Incidentally, are we to infer from Wire fans' current enthusiasm that they liked his style of play all along and that the years of morning about mean tactics was the green eyed monster?

I think money will be no object in the search for a replacement, and that Wire will already have someone in mind, given how measured their approach has been. Can't think of a name other than those already mentioned.

59 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I really think they should look at Andrew Henderson down at London. This guy is a star coach in the making and they play some fantastic football. 

As much as I like Henderson, I think he's the exact opposite of what Warrington need at the moment.   He has a Mr Nice Guy approach to the players much in the mould of Smith -  which works in certain circumstances - but I feel that what this squad needs now is a no-holds-barred no-excuses gritty gruff coach that can hold some resilience into us and help us grind out wins in the sort of games that Super League seems to throw up in major semis and finals come October-time.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

25 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

As much as I like Henderson, I think he's the exact opposite of what Warrington need at the moment.   He has a Mr Nice Guy approach to the players much in the mould of Smith -  which works in certain circumstances - but I feel that what this squad needs now is a no-holds-barred no-excuses gritty gruff coach that can hold some resilience into us and help us grind out wins in the sort of games that Super League seems to throw up in major semis and finals come October-time.

With the lack of success that's been written Warrington have had, why be bothered about major finals?

54 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Andrew Johns?

I far, far prefer the sound of that (or another fondly remembered ex-player) to any of the merry-go-round-same-old-same-old Aussie coaches with absolutely diddley-squat connection to the club.

Alternatively, Warrington need something out of left-field. Anyone asked Shaun Edwards what he's up to these days?

48 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

With the lack of success that's been written Warrington have had, why be bothered about major finals?

I didn't write that.   You're twisting what I said to try and make your point, like I'm some sort of Smith-hater.   I said Warrington hadn't won anything significant in 5 years.   We haven't.   We didn't go out to win to the shield, it was a consolation.   It was nice to win, I enjoyed it hoping that the next trophy we'd see would be the one we all wanted.   Unfortunately that didn't happen and 8 years is a long time for any coach in any sport, especially without a major trophy for five years even if we have been playing 'okay'.   I like Smith and I'm grateful for the 3 cups, I just thought he'd taken us as far as he can.

I've stated why I think we need a different coach with a different approach, based on results and return on investment, but all you've done is call us moaners and claim we don't appreciate what we have won.   That's just BS.

So why don't you put forwar your argument as to why my choice of type of coach is wrong.   I want to know the evidence on which you're basing your opinion of Smith being the right man for the job?   My evidence is the lack of major prizes in the last 5 years and the slow decline of the quality of the team (yes that includes 2016).

15 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Andrew Johns?

I too wondered about him.

I know he was definitely going to sign for the season (or two) after his brief stint but his neck injury forced his retirement, so I don't think the usual upheaval debate would necessarily apply.

Realistically though, it must be a heck of a lot easier earning a living as a pundit than it would be a head coach.

As for assistant, Leeds Wire has been a little bit naughty with inside information earlier in the thread!

17 hours ago, Scubby said:

With the budget that he has had to work with at london I actually think he has underachieved and in my opinion London really dont look as close to been contenders as they should do.

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

With the budget that he has had to work with at london I actually think he has underachieved and in my opinion London really dont look as close to been contenders as they should do.

I don't agree that squad is full of cast offs yet and would be rock bottom of SL. Yet he has got them to second and run Catalans (2pts) and Warrington (2pts) so close. They may even knock off Leigh and possibly Widnes. He has done a fabulous job.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

I don't agree that squad is full of cast offs yet and would be rock bottom of SL. Yet he has got them to second and run Catalans (2pts) and Warrington (2pts) so close. They may even knock off Leigh and possibly Widnes. He has done a fabulous job.

With his full time playing budget he really should have been challenging Hull KR for top spot and also have been in with a shout of promotion and although they have run SL sides close when it comes to the end of the season you will have 3 SL teams that look like they have under achieved in the 8's and London will still really not be near them. I bet most coaches could have "achieved" what he has achieved with their spending power.

Archived