Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

16th/17th Sept : The Kingstone Press League 1 Shield Match Thread

Old Frightful    3,133

Discuss the Kingstone Press League 1 Shield games here.

Sat 16th Sept :

Coventry Bears v South Wales Ironmen K.O. 3pm

Sun 17th Sept :

North Wales Crusaders v Oxford K.O. 2.30pm

University of Gloucestershire All Golds v Hemel Stags K.O. 3pm

Hunslet v London Skolars K.O. 3pm

Bearman    2,037

The Coventry game is a 3.30 kick off. Its preceded by a soccer game Coventry United v Bromsgrove which kicks off at 12.

Tickets are valid for both games.

Please use the gate marked "rugby".

After the game the Clubhouse will be open for the Bears presentation evening.

FearNothing    52

I'll go with that, except I would hold on skolars/hawks game.....both already in the shield final, so who will put out a weaker team for this warm-up game??

OriginalMrC    102
9 hours ago, Bearman said:

The Coventry game is a 3.30 kick off. Its preceded by a soccer game Coventry United v Bromsgrove which kicks off at 12.

Tickets are valid for both games.

Please use the gate marked "rugby".

After the game the Clubhouse will be open for the Bears presentation evening.

I'm very much looking forward to this. A really excellent idea from the Bears and Coventry Utd football club which will give people that maybe wouldn't ordinarily watch rugby the chance to do so. Should hopefully be a big crowd and a great atmosphere for the last game of the season. 

Progman    139

Hunslet won't want to go to skolers next week and skolers won't want to come to us. For that reason I think they will both play their best team 

• Like 2

gogledd    686

North Wales Crusaders v Oxford RLFC is preceded by North Wales Origin U18s v South Wales Select (Dragonhearts possibles) which has now been moved to Queensway Stadium as a curtain raised for the League 1 game. Kick off for th U18s is at 12:30 and worth getting there  early - some real stars of the future on display and should prove to be a good game

Crusaders v Oxford will be our last game at Queensway this season. After the game there is a chance to meet up in the marquee to hear Mike Grady and Jonny Leather give a summary of the season, The Supporters Trust will be taking new membership for anyone who wishes to going and support the future of the club. There will also be an auction of kit - so a chance to get you hands on some Crusaders merchandise.

Good luck to London Skolars and Hunslet in there pre-shield decider - It will be a close fought game -  London have home advantage - although Hunslet traveled in numbers when they visited Crusaders so should get good support. I think Hunslet may win

Otherwise I think winners will be Coventry Bears, All Golds and of course Crusaders

• Like 1

Angelic Cynic    201

One last opportunity for South Wales Ironmen to get from the bottom of the table and close the brief chapter/page,in their history, with a win before they morph into West Wales Raiders.

They must believe that Hemel Stags will lose at All Golds with Lee Greenwood having his last game in charge at Gloucester.

They must want to put one over against former assistant coach and skipper Paul Emmanuelli,and others,who have left the Welsh club.

They must look to former Wales international Ian Watson,head coach at Salford who had been on a long losing run before scoring over 50 points to win last weekend.

Reading about the Butts Park Arena I hope any improvements don't impinge on Coventry Bears in 2018

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/real-madrid-vs-barcelona-galacticos-13609302

gogledd    686
1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

One last opportunity for South Wales Ironmen to get from the bottom of the table and close the brief chapter/page,in their history, with a win before they morph into West Wales Raiders.

They must believe that Hemel Stags will lose at All Golds with Lee Greenwood having his last game in charge at Gloucester.

They must want to put one over against former assistant coach and skipper Paul Emmanuelli,and others,who have left the Welsh club.

They must look to former Wales international Ian Watson,head coach at Salford who had been on a long losing run before scoring over 50 points to win last weekend.

Reading about the Butts Park Arena I hope any improvements don't impinge on Coventry Bears in 2018

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/real-madrid-vs-barcelona-galacticos-13609302

I've enjoyed my trips to Butts Park Arena - its a good venue and hopefully Coventry Bears keep a good relationship with their Union counterparts and continue at the stadium. I hope they dont get outpriced by rental charges as we did at the Racecourse. I'm sure that Bearman will be able to provide some assurances

OriginalMrC    102

AFAIK the Bears will get use of the new facilities like the gym etc. Bears have been tenants with Coventry RU for a number of years so doubt there would be any issues. 

And yes it's a great venue and one which crusaders fans enjoy coming to based on the numbers they bring down (definitely one of the biggest away supports in the league) 

League1Show    44

OUT NOW: This week's League 1 Show

The unofficial podcast dedicated to League 1 returns this week with a look back at all the results from Round 6 of the Super 8s and the League 1 Shield.

On this week's show, Ben was joined by CEO of the Toronto Wolfpack Eric Perez, to discuss winning the league and the future for the sport in Canada.

We also discuss the race for the Playoffs, as Ben talks to the Head Coaches at Doncaster, Keighley Cougars, and Newcastle Thunder.

We also have some of the post match reaction from the Whitehaven Head Coach Carl Forster, and we talk to West Yorkshire Sport's Andrew Steel on that race between Hunslet and the London Skolars to host the League 1 Shield Final.

On this week's show, Ben was also joined by Rugby League Express' Matthew Shaw.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6302630-the-league-1-show-14th-september-2017

OriginalMrC    102

Had a great day in Coventry yesterday with the Bears putting in a great performance against a spirited South Wales side (in their last ever game). Showed what the Bears are capable of from an attacking point of view. They've shown glimpses of brilliant attacking play this year but just not done it consistently. Was brilliant to finish the season on a high. 

Was a decent crowd and a busy hospitality area which meant a great atmosphere. Also a great end of season awards which showed that players and staff have learned alot from what has been a tough season at times on the pitch. Think Bears fans can be optimistic about how things will go next year. 

• Like 1

Angelic Cynic    201

It is certainly a nice set-up at Butts Park Arena.

The train(s) behind the posts reminded me of Burnden Park.Bolton soccer stadium in the 80's where I saw a semi-final Leeds v Wigan.

I don't think either of those sides,or any currently in League 1,Championship,or Super League have a ball-stealer to the standard of Connor Farrer.As if by magic...

I think the conceding of a penalty and then the try was completed in even quicker time than usual, and so the result of the game was known immediately.

Coventry Bears did go well and SWI showed their indomitable spirit and the head coach Phil Carleton still manages to get them come out in the second half and never surrender or resort to niggly stuff.

Room for expansion at the Arena,enthusiastic supporters and more wheelchairs at the stadium than anywhere I have found outside the Halliwell Jones,Warrington.

Good club.Good sponsors.Good community involvement.Good to experience.Well done Coventry Bears with 3 years work and progressing... 

• Like 2

deluded pom?    1,697
4 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Had a great day in Coventry yesterday with the Bears putting in a great performance against a spirited South Wales side (in their last ever game). Showed what the Bears are capable of from an attacking point of view. They've shown glimpses of brilliant attacking play this year but just not done it consistently. Was brilliant to finish the season on a high. 

Was a decent crowd and a busy hospitality area which meant a great atmosphere. Also a great end of season awards which showed that players and staff have learned alot from what has been a tough season at times on the pitch. Think Bears fans can be optimistic about how things will go next year. 

How did the double header go?

OriginalMrC    102
13 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

How did the double header go?

Was interesting to see the football, though it was fairly low standard. It made for a great day out though and a few football fans stayed to watch the Rugby. Anything that exposes new people to the game is good. 

deluded pom?    1,697
23 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Was interesting to see the football, though it was fairly low standard. It made for a great day out though and a few football fans stayed to watch the Rugby. Anything that exposes new people to the game is good. 

Did the groundsman cope alright?

Decent afternoon's entertainment in Wrexham, particularly given that neither side had anything to play for, finished 28-14 to the Cru which perhaps flattered us a bit as Oxford were a decent looking team who perhaps just lacked a bit of weight in the forwards.. Gate wasn't given but probably about 250 of us there in the sunshine - bet it's not like that when the pre-season friendlies start in February! Now we wait to see what happens about Oxford who arrived in a glorified mini-bus owned by  a Leeds company.

OriginalMrC    102
30 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Did the groundsman cope alright?

Yep lines were already done for both games. He made it look surprisingly easy to put up rugby posts. It's been a busy few weeks for the groundsman with 3 sporting teams playing in the stadium. 

• Like 1

DoubleD    1,129
29 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Decent afternoon's entertainment in Wrexham, particularly given that neither side had anything to play for, finished 28-14 to the Cru which perhaps flattered us a bit as Oxford were a decent looking team who perhaps just lacked a bit of weight in the forwards.. Gate wasn't given but probably about 250 of us there in the sunshine - bet it's not like that when the pre-season friendlies start in February! Now we wait to see what happens about Oxford who arrived in a glorified mini-bus owned by  a Leeds company.

Crusaders attendances have slipped alarmingly, does this affect the viability of the club and can they recover?

OriginalMrC    102
19 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Crusaders attendances have slipped alarmingly, does this affect the viability of the club and can they recover?

Think most clubs in the shield have seen a dip in attendances after the split in the league. While the idea behind the shield is good I think it makes it hard for teams to market