Sign in to follow this  
Krzzystuff

Wolfpacks new signings

Krzzystuff    147

It has now officially been announced that we have signed Dave "Coal train" Taylor, Josh McCrone, Ashton Sims & Olsi Krasiqi and I'm wondering what the thoughts are from the RL community? Are they good signings?  Any past their prime or are they all still solid? Really curios about Taylor because he's supposedly a mountain of a human  being so it's always good to see those guys live.

Will these players help us attract additional crowds to our away games to make up for the fact we don't brig any away fans? i'm new to the game so not sure where these guys rate in people minds. Are we top 4 contenders now in M62 corridor eyes?

Thanks and hope to see some of you in Toronto next year!

• Like 4

Saint 1    494

Dave Taylor is a brilliant player when he's interested, it just depends how much he is interested. He'll still be too good for Championship either way, it's just to what extent.

McCrone is a solid enough halfback and a good signing. Less flashy and less big name than Taylor, but a good signing while not exciting.

Ashton Sims is another marketable figure (similar to FFMM and Taylor). Seems like a good leader from what I've seen, and is also a solid prop at Super League level so will be another good recruit.

Haven't seen much of Krasiqi so I'll let others comment.

Taylor may attract a couple (if he is interested). I'd say that's probably enough to put you top 4 in the Championship. Any idea if the signing of FaiFai Loa has been confirmed? I know Toronto were rumoured to be his destination and he would be another decent signing.

Futtocks    5,884

Taylor has shown glimpses of his capability in limited outings for Canberra.

He's not just big and fast, but has good handling skills too, when he's fit, in form and motivated. The Wolfpack had better hope that he'll be trying to impress a NRL club when he plays next season.

Krzzystuff    147
23 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Dave Taylor is a brilliant player when he's interested, it just depends how much he is interested. He'll still be too good for Championship either way, it's just to what extent.

McCrone is a solid enough halfback and a good signing. Less flashy and less big name than Taylor, but a good signing while not exciting.

Ashton Sims is another marketable figure (similar to FFMM and Taylor). Seems like a good leader from what I've seen, and is also a solid prop at Super League level so will be another good recruit.

Haven't seen much of Krasiqi so I'll let others comment.

Taylor may attract a couple (if he is interested). I'd say that's probably enough to put you top 4 in the Championship. Any idea if the signing of FaiFai Loa has been confirmed? I know Toronto were rumoured to be his destination and he would be another decent signing.

Last I heard he was supposedly signing a new deal in the NRL? It was long ago so not sure whats happening currently.

Krzzystuff    147
22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Taylor has shown glimpses of his capability in limited outings for Canberra.

He's not just big and fast, but has good handling skills too, when he's fit, in form and motivated. The Wolfpack had better hope that he'll be trying to impress a NRL club when he plays next season.

Hopefully the prospect of making history and a completely different atmosphere at the home games pumps him up and we get the best out of him. Sure neutrals would like to see him at his best as well.

Also didn't he say he prefers SL to NRL? might not be looking to entice a NRL club if he likes the TO experience.

Thanks for the insights 

Edited by Krzzystuff
  • Thanks 1

Futtocks    5,884
Just now, Krzzystuff said:

Last I heard he was supposedly signing a new deal in the NRL? It was long ago so not sure whats happening currently.

He wanted to stay at Canberra, but maybe they didn't have space in the salary cap. He'll probably have one eye on a return to the NRL in 2019.

So that could go either way. Either he plays out of his skin to impress anyone back home looking at signing him, or he won't have his mind on the job at hand in Toronto. I hope it turns out to be the former.

Krzzystuff    147
Just now, Oxford said:

59b977730e12c_200z.gif.7d22d5ed6f82c2c3c3961b4960bffb23.gif

Pretty sure your GIF is banned in 12 countries for inducing seizures if stared at for too long...

Oxford    1,232
10 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Pretty sure your GIF is banned in 12 countries for inducing seizures if stared at for too long...

Party poop!;)

A bit like bleach having a do not drink  phrase on the label or staring at the eclipse!

Edited by Oxford

damp squib    1,219

I don't rate Sims that highly as a Super League player although he'll be better than most in the Championship. His real appeal is that he has the whole Thor image thing going on and comes across very well in the media and with the fans. I suspect TO are looking for a FFMM replacement in that respect.

DavidM    1,308

Taylor has all the attributes but there's just so many ifs and maybes ... all the package yet so many clubs and so many frustrations left behind . Needs to be motivated and needs to be conditioned or it's a luxury item . He's been taken on a few times with big hopes which  have subsided , but at this level you'd reckon he could carry it off . Something really wrong if he can't . As a dragons fan don't rate Mccrone at all , awful kicking game and not much in general play either for an NRL player . A name for them but they could have got much better here . Sims has had better days but no doubt a good pay day . Looks like high profile is high on their agenda 

Edited by DavidM

Lowdesert    732
1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

It has now officially been announced that we have signed Dave "Coal train" Taylor, Josh McCrone, Ashton Sims & Olsi Krasiqi and I'm wondering what the thoughts are from the RL community? Are they good signings?  Any past their prime or are they all still solid? Really curios about Taylor because he's supposedly a mountain of a human  being so it's always good to see those guys live.

Will these players help us attract additional crowds to our away games to make up for the fact we don't brig any away fans? i'm new to the game so not sure where these guys rate in people minds. Are we top 4 contenders now in M62 corridor eyes?

Thanks and hope to see some of you in Toronto next year!

I thought Taylor was rethinking?  He's been a regukar in Canberras team, albeit interchange, for the last 2 months, so he must have worked hard to get in.  IMO, he should stay in NRL, going to a championship side at his age is just daft.  

This think next year will be interesting as a TWP fan.  The top half of that league has some good teams who are well coached and disciplined .  Tougher games usually mean more injuries too.  You will not have it your own way and if that increase in intensity is what your fans want, then sure, they'll get what they want.

Rawschach    62

As has been mentioned, Taylor is a great player when his attitude is right.  He could play for any team in the Superleague and most in the NRL when he is on form.

Really hope he comes with the right attitude - not sure how tearing it up in the Championship will impress the NRL sides though.  To be fair to him i thought he was good at Catalans (apart from thinking he was scrum half at times) and was surprised they let him go.  Certainly did a better job than Carney.

The whole coal train thing is very marketable which is a plus.

Sims will do a decent job. 

DavidM    1,308

Last I'd read in the Canberra media he'd agreed a multi year deal on about $1m but was having second thoughts about moving from home and family . Salary cap pressure meant he'd have to take a pretty big pay cut to stay but they were gonna talk more as he hadn't to be there till the new year

Lowdesert    732
13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Last I'd read in the Canberra media he'd agreed a multi year deal on about $1m but was having second thoughts about moving from home and family . Salary cap pressure meant he'd have to take a pretty big pay cut to stay but they were gonna talk more as he hadn't to be there till the new year

Yep.  Read the same thing.  When he's on, takes some stopping.

GeordieSaint    2,384

Are these players good enough to get them promoted by improving the current squad? I'd argue yes; absolutely. A solid halfback, 2 x current/former Rep players and a solid SL squad player. It'll certainly enhance their squad.

ChoboMog    50
26 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Are these players good enough to get them promoted by improving the current squad? I'd argue yes; absolutely. A solid halfback, 2 x current/former Rep players and a solid SL squad player. It'll certainly enhance their squad.

I am of the same mind.  The goal is clearly promotion to SL, sooner rather than later, and as things stand they've got a good shot by the end of next year.

That said, there's no guarantee and once you're into the Super8's Qualifiers it's a whole new ball game.

This is probably a topic for another thread, in order to keep this focused on the signings between now and next season; however, the RFL/SL really needs to make sure it has a plan in place, should Toronto gain promotion for 2019.

Krzzystuff    147
6 minutes ago, ChoboMog said:

I am of the same mind.  The goal is clearly promotion to SL, sooner rather than later, and as things stand they've got a good shot by the end of next year.

That said, there's no guarantee and once you're into the Super8's Qualifiers it's a whole new ball game.

This is probably a topic for another thread, in order to keep this focused on the signings between now and next season; however, the RFL/SL really needs to make sure it has a plan in place, should Toronto gain promotion for 2019.

What should change from how they are operating at the moment? Play in blocks of home and away and hopefully kick a bit of ass along the way no? FT teams can come over early and get the jet lag out of the way.

We will again need to rebuild in SL because we have the sane salary caps as everyone else in the championship, We are building a team to win the current league not the next. hopefully we maintain a string core throughout the tiers.

I think they said 75% of the players will be retained from this year so I expect a few more signings since 3-4 players are apparently going to leave and we will need more depth next year.

Copa    798

I've watched the coal train live all this season. If his mind is in it he will run all over opposition teams in the championships. He's a much more devastating runner than Fui currently is and has ball handling skills.

He has an interesting body shape... really solid looking. The first time you see him up close you think "Jesus, I'd hate to tackle him!"

RobertAM    409

Wait until he and indeed all the other new boys step out on Lamport field next May and see 8-9000 Canucks going wild...they will love it here..just hope all the snow is gone!

Krzzystuff    147
10 minutes ago, Copa said:

I've watched the coal train live all this season. If his mind is in it he will run all over opposition teams in the championships. He's a much more devastating runner than Fui currently is and has ball handling skills.

He has an interesting body shape... really solid looking. The first time you see him up close you think "Jesus, I'd hate to tackle him!"

He does seem to have tree trunks for legs so I imagine people try ad hold him up and wait for backup in a tackle.

Krzzystuff    147
1 minute ago, RobertAM said:

Wait until he and indeed all the other new boys step out on Lamport field next May and see 8-9000 Canucks going wild...they will love it here..just hope all the snow is gone!

lol yeah if it's not it will hamper our SL recruitment efforts.

• Like 1

ChoboMog    50
20 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

What should change from how they are operating at the moment?...

I don't think anything needs to change, in terms of things like: Promotion/Relegation; blocks of home/away games; Super8's/playoffs etc.  Perhaps, making sure we continue to not have a home game scheduled during the first three or four rounds is smart, given the winter weather.

Given the tone of some threads over the past few months, though, making sure a plan is agreed on and in place [stadium upgrades, travel cost coverage (if any) etc) in advance seems important to making it a success and minimizing any disruption/uncertainty.

I just hope it all goes smooth and the positive impact continues.

8 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

With any luck, the successful League 1 season, additional signings, and media coverage make the 8-9000 range typical, the way 6-8000 was this year.  Can't wait for the first sellout!

• Like 2

RobertAM    409

last winter they had giant domes over the field for indoor games.looks very different beleive me!  Anyhow I saw one intrepid UK sports reporter talking about the upcoming inaugural WP season, he was outside in a mac in minus 20 degrees and he was incredulous that RL was only a couple of weeks away..it was hilarious!