Statement by South Wales Ironmen Owner

As released on Facebook:

THE FINAL MESSAGE FROM THE OWNER

Well here it is. The final game as the South Wales Ironmen is almost upon us, and I won’t lie, it has been a tough 2 months.

When we took over, the club was in a poor state, with debt, no way of generating revenue, players abandoning the club for one reason or another and, to top it all off, only 6 days to transfer deadline. All that said and done it has been an exciting challenge and I would like to thank all the players, staff and supporters who have continued to make sure the club continues in South Wales.

It’s not all doom and gloom though, we have managed to pick up a win and a draw and given some of the young lads the exposure they need to move up a level.

These are the positives, however with the positives come the negatives and, with the world of social media, the negatives seem to be more prominent. From the outside, people will have their own opinions about how the club has been run before and after the takeover and what we should do going forward.

As with all clubs wishing to improve, the constructive comments will always be taken on board and, where possible, be introduced into the club. For myself and my fellow directors, the staff and players have done really well, doing exactly what was needed to see this year through with zero budget, and that was to give it everything they had and to look ahead to next year, because let’s be honest, they could have all deserted a sinking ship.

So now to the positives. Due to the hard work on and off the pitch we can safely say that the club is out of debt and, has even made some profit on our recent home games at Stebonheath. We now have a home ground we can call our own, and at the last game against North Wales Crusader, our hospitality package was fully booked. We have had an average gate of 200 – 250 in our last three games and, while people think that is poor, just remember that we only moved there two months ago, and to top it all off we have already secured some sponsorship for next season. Considering we took the club over with less than 2 months of the season remaining I would say that is a successful end to a season that almost saw rugby league in South Wales disappear.

So what next?? Well, we know we have a steep hill to climb to get things back on track. The club has obviously moved to West Wales, almost back to where the journey started, and we have to engage with the old, the existing and the new fans, as well as continuing our work with all the schools that we started 4 years ago. People have different thoughts on this but, for us, it is the juniors and younger players that need the opportunities, and we have to find the balance of young and old . Unfortunately, the club will be rebranded once again, and will pick up the name West Wales Raiders, although this is part of a long term plan that we have put in place. There has been some considerable debate over this but, as the raiders are already established in the West, it is the most logical choice. The Director of Rugby will be working hard to establish the coaching pathways from Juniors all the way to the 1st Team and this will consist of the schools, the colleges, universities and community clubs, and the club will also offer any assistance possible to the aforementioned. The commercial team will be working hard trying to raise the profile of the sport, and gain some investment in the club and the sport as a whole in South Wales . Personally, I think they have the hardest job in the shortest space of time. For the board, and the club, the biggest thing of all is to build bridges with everyone from community clubs to suppliers and, hopefully, try and bring the sport together, oh and of course win a few games along the way.

As soon as everything is sorted you will all be the first to know. We hope we can count on your support to help build this fantastic sport of rugby league and put Wales on the map, because I know we have the talent, as the juniors have shown this year. We now just have to make ourselves stand up and be noticed.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

4 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Still don't understand why they moved from The Gnoll, it's been all downhill since then. Also unsure about the second rebrand in a year but good luck to them.

Did you read the statement? They own the ground they moved to which makes a huge difference to profit and loss. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Did you read the statement? They own the ground they moved to which makes a huge difference to profit and loss. 

Yes, they moved from the Gnoll which was their original home years ago and only now do they seem to have found a suitable place to play, which is great from them and I hope it works out.

8 hours ago, Frog said:

Forget TWP this is where we grow the game. Onwards and upwards. 

100% correct. What exactly does North America with their richest sports market in the world  and 350 million sports mad population have to offer. 

13 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Still don't understand why they moved from The Gnoll, it's been all downhill since then. Also unsure about the second rebrand in a year but good luck to them.

They were only ever tenants there and the guy who set the club up and bank rolled them decided enough was enough when central funding was cut. As a season ticket holder at the time it had already started to go downhill then. A disastrous link up with Wigan which led to an apparently disinterested Dave Clarke being appointed  coach and a weekly rota of young Wigan lads being shipped down with minimal impact meant I packed it in. It was like watching 17 blokes who hardly knew each other led by a bloke who didn't want to be there.

the new ground is cracking and I admire the desire to persevere with Welsh talent, what they've needed is a few established players to bolster the spine and bring the youngsters on. This for me is the challenge, it is a well established amateur set up, but they need to win games to get a feel good factor going and build some profile.

i wish them well.

I and two friends have been supporting Rugby League in South Wales since 2016 in the Brewery Field. We have suffered many disappointments and changes in venues. Many false dawns and many false promises. I am proud to say that my little gang have remained loyal.

We are now with the West Wales Raiders and once more support them in hope.

If Jill and Keith read this keep going friends.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, kev p said:

Sounds like the man has a proper plan, good luck to them and I wish them success

I'm sorry, KP, but the last thing RL needs is a man with a proper plan.  it isn't traditional!  Whatever happened to fudging and vacuous promises?

Seriously, all the best to them!

Archived