Jeopardy Possibly , Drama definitely

GUBRATS

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

ATM still 8 possible scenario's for Leigh ( and Widnes I think ) with 3 games remaining 

Auto promotion 

Auto relegation 

Home or away against Widnes,Cats and London 

Scary , but strangely fun as well 

After today those outcomes may be reduced if Widnes win, however a London win will make next week exciting for sure, except for Leigh, Widnes & Cats fans who'll have a very nervous few days

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The Widnes Catalans game next week is going to be an intense nailbiter.

A London win today leaves open the chance for Leigh to be automatically promoted , but then it also makes our game at London a potential MPG , but without us knowing until the Cats/Widnes game 

Before last weekend's fixtures, think all 12 SL clubs (from start of season) were mathematically able to either be champions or be relegated, depending on which '8' they were in. We already have one promotion and one relegation, with another still in play. As a rugby competition, it works. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

ATM still 8 possible scenario's for Leigh ( and Widnes I think ) with 3 games remaining 

Auto promotion 

Auto relegation 

Home or away against Widnes,Cats and London In MPG 

It's a pity that scary fun isn't converted into actual interest in the games.

As a neutral bystander watching on it is great.

not sure other sports really have great media coverage outside the relevant top flight? Anyway there  is a RL doing well in Canada item in the Guardian today.  that coverage may ramp up with TWP next season.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Will possible jeopardy bring in the punters or will two mediocre teams keep people at home?

Yep 4300 folks at Leigh yesterday nearly caused a delay to the kick off. :lol: Fans can't get enough of the car crash that is jeopardy

51 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I dread to think but if Catalans get relegated then the Championship next season is going to be a complete borefest for spectators with London, Toulouse, Catalans and Toronto in there.

#### me. I give up. Halifax have like 1500 fans tops atm.

Not sure i follow the logic of a dull league containing the teams mentioned??

I don't want to see Catalans in there but i see nothing bad about Toronto v Toulouse etc (or Halifax v Toronto for that matter)

We could set up a hunger games style sport with players attacking each other and we would still only get half a paragraph in the sports pages, after 5 pages about some kicking competition down south on a similar type of pitch

The 8s has been exciting this year - well done to the Championship sides who have made a real fight of it and kept the games unpredictable

1 hour ago, Rawschach said:

Not sure i follow the logic of a dull league containing the teams mentioned??

I'm guessing he's one of those fans of certain clubs who look around at the few hundred pensioners scattered about the ground and think "the problem here is a lack of away fans".

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

A London win today leaves open the chance for Leigh to be automatically promoted , but then it also makes our game at London a potential MPG , but without us knowing until the Cats/Widnes game 

It really is a crazy intense comp, from the outside looking in its fascinating. From the inside looking out its an incredible challenge every week.

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Auto promotion 

Auto relegation 

Home or away against Widnes,Cats and London In MPG 

If you're a neutral fan it's great!

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

From the inside looking out its an incredible challenge every week.

It's dire when you're in it!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

If you're a neutral fan it's great!

It's dire when you're in it!

I know, I was there at Belle Vue with a Bulls supporting friend in 2015. It is certainly dramatic its just a shame the losers lose so much. I think for English RL its fundamentally important to have a route to the top and thus a route down - everyone else in the system I'm not sure about.

It is creating car crash RL not high standard RL. Penalties, niggles, nervous mistakes and scrappy tries. Not sure how this is helping the game in this country in terms of raising standards? Fans are not coming in any numbers.

It is just like squeamish reality TV

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I dread to think but if Catalans get relegated then the Championship next season is going to be a complete borefest for spectators with London, Toulouse, Catalans and Toronto in there.

I am not sure where you are from, TBO, but your observation does seem a tad M62 corridor oriented.  Are you saying that everybody else in the championship, including, for example, Fev will fade into obscurity in 2018?  And what's not to like about, for instance, two Catalans -v- Toulouse matches?  Boring?  Non!

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

It is creating car crash RL not high standard RL. Penalties, niggles, nervous mistakes and scrappy tries. Not sure how this is helping the game in this country in terms of raising standards? Fans are not coming in any numbers.

I think you're right with the car crash RL analogy. The KR-Widnes game last week was actually as dire a tussle as you'll see but was tense because of what was riding on it. 

I've been surprised how much the top 8 has failed. This year is the first that there is competition for places but it hasn't done much to increase interest or crowds. I haven't watched a game but will pick it up come the semi-finals.

We have to be careful when criticising the crowds for jeopardy because if you look at recent years it's hard to argue that success increases crowds very much either, something that most people would see as a given. It hasn't seem to increase them very much at Salford for instance.

Don't get me wrong I'm not in favour of the 8s, it's too convoluted and long, but I think there can be long term benefits to nerves and excitement in creating fans. For the 4300 at Leigh there might have been numerous others following the game, hoping for a good win and feeling relieved when they win. Under licensing with nothing mattering, the 4300 might be it. 

2 hours ago, damp squib said:

I'm guessing he's one of those fans of certain clubs who look around at the few hundred pensioners scattered about the ground and think "the problem here is a lack of away fans".

More likely that he just likes away fans to help make an atmosphere

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I agree with you. There's drama but not quality. I say scrap the 8s....either straight 1 up, 1 down over a 23-26 match season  or licencing 

Archived