Sign in to follow this  
glemiln

Embarrassing, to say the least

My view of the season is that at the very start if we had been offered survival we would have been happy to take it. The reality was that we survived but could have done better.

We never had a 6 that bossed the game, we continually gave away to many penalties and our discipline was very poor.

We were continually accused of slowing the game down to keep a foot in the game. I never really agreed with that accusation.

Our out of hand kicking for touch was always poor and conversions of tries was again not the best.

The defence for the most part was good but when bad it was very bad.

I will never compare Hornets when they play full time opposition. A full time team should always be the winner in such a situation. What I feel we should have done is target the winnable games. I am sure that we did this but in these games our discipline always let us down.

The club have survived on a shoestring budget against teams that have thrown money at it. You only have to look at Bradford as an example of chasing the dream and look where they are going.

So lets be happy we survived. Lets seek to improve next season and improve our completion rate and discipline. 

It would be lovely to see a couple of big hard running forwards and a class 6 signed for next season. Oh and crowds of at least 10,000 each home game. Well you have to dream sometimes.

Finally I hope that we can stay up and Oldham join us from division 1, The games against the Yeds are to good to miss.

Edited by Big Doug
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2017 at 0:22 PM, mickhornet said:

What a smug condescending self satisfied piece, are you a Man U supporter by any chance?

Well said Mick. Must be a scummer with his attitude. Keyboard warrior who never watched a game.

3 hours ago, apiarist said:

Well said Mick. Must be a scummer with his attitude. Keyboard warrior who never watched a game.

Who needs friends, eh?

I think you'll find dave is from down under and, if you read some of his previous posts, is right behind the club, in his own way. I think he's seen the result and jumped to an angry conclusion, without knowing the full facts.

Having attended Hornets matches as a supporter since the very early 60's, playing RL for nearly 20 seasons and being a Manchester United supporter throughout, I'll draw my own conclusion as to who is the 'scummer'.

Edited by owfener

What is he and others sticking the knife into the players for then if he wasn't there,. saying how very sorry they are for the fans who went over to Odsal.We lost to a full time team a different one than we met the last time As they weren't there what are the moaning about? For me they can shove there sympathy.

I don't see anybody sticking the knife into players. Most of the criticisms are justified. Even the dogs in the street know that two of our more experienced players left at the end of last season and weren't adequately replaced. 

Danny Yates has done a good job as stand in goal kicker but we need a more recognised kicker for next season.

I do,With the loss of  HKR and a gate of 2100 to be replaced by Toronto I expect we shall have to increase admission to £20 and £16

to make up the loss.If Cats come down it will be worse.,i hope Danny Yates stays.and the rest come to that.

Danny's been our best player in my opinion this season. He didn't come as a goalkicker  but he put his hand to have a go. He's done OK and on occasion he's kicked some belters but he's not really a first choice goalkicker. As dark as I know he's signed up for next season which is great news.

Half the squad are playing with injuries,i find the title of this thread "embarassing to say the least "from someone who doesn't attend games offensive.incidentally the fans  who went warmly applauded the team and coaches off we don't do the Wigan Walk.

The problem is with the crazy format that clubs are expected to play that is almost guaranteed to leave meaningless games at the end of the latest bit of the season.

Conceding 70 points in any game, never mind one against the bottom of the league,  is embarrassing to the club. That it meant nothing is embarrassing to the game.  An excuse for a cash grab - no wonder the game is struggling with attendences. I wonder what format they will come up with for next season.

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

The problem is with the crazy format that clubs are expected to play that is almost guaranteed to leave meaningless games at the end of the latest bit of the season.

Conceding 70 points in any game, never mind one against the bottom of the league,  is embarrassing to the club. That it meant nothing is embarrassing to the game.  An excuse for a cash grab - no wonder the game is struggling with attendences. I wonder what format they will come up with for next season.

I agree. You also get the possibility of teams fighting for their lives playing teams who are resting their better players with one eye on the semi final and final of the play off. 

3 hours ago, mickhornet said:
  • There is a chance the semi pro game will be abandoned,Can they afford to finance Championship and League 1 as well as SL.Sky wouldn't miss us.

Not a very nice thought.My thoughts are that the RFL don't want the Rochdale's, Oldham's and swintons etc.They want they're Toulouse's,Toronto's and Manchester's etc.I really fear for our traditional clubs.I can see a future where the semi pro clubs will really up against it.They want international rugby league at club level.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree. You also get the possibility of teams fighting for their lives playing teams who are resting their better players with one eye on the semi final and final of the play off. 

Hull KR's side against Catalans, for example. They're were already promoted, Catalans in the mix. If the French had lost they'd have been right in it.......makes you think, eh?

What an effect on the £million game.....makes it interesting for Saturday, though. If Leigh put a few on London on Friday, Widnes are going to have to go for it in France on Saturday.....

Leigh win well and it's another £million game on Saturday. If Leigh get close to Widnes points difference things could really hot up.

They really should be playing at the same time.

If only Hornets were involved. John Woods against his home town club at Spotland springs to mind, in the good old days of the proper stuff.

Edited by owfener

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:52 PM, ormskirknet said:

The headline has to be mission accomplished this season, in that we stayed up, but yesterdays result and a few other issues do elude to some fundamental underlying problems that need to be addressed (IMO) and also a bit of wish list for 2018.

• Over the last couple of years when we want to play we can do and show grit, determination and no little desire, particularly defensively which is something we've lacked for many a year - Huge plus point However there appears to be a bit of a 'cant be arsed attitude' that's crept in these last few months; yesterday is embarrassing, but I got the impression we'd put the cue in the rack after the Swinton win anyway. We need to address this next year and strive for better consistency the great news is the league will be even more competitive next season. Do we have a fundamental motivation issue? I'm not so sure about that, but it needs looking at. Batley, Halifax, Feath etc. week in week out will turn out and put a fair shift and and come at you with there A game showing dogged determination week on week win lose or draw and its that consistency we must strive for now.
  • Discipline has been a huge issue all season. like it or not we are getting something wrong, petulance, lack of experience call it whatever but its simply not good enough and needs to be addressed our discipline stat must be about the worst in the league, yet I genuinely don't see us as an overly physical team (or a dirty team for that matter) but refs do seem to get fed up with us much quicker that the opposition and we have now got a reputation within the league.
  • Referee bashing, lets give up and move on, yes we've been on the end of some poor decisions this year but the standard of refereeing in general has been poor for all, so as above lets look internally at what we are doing. I got fed up with 'the fans were great, but the ref cost us the game' feedback at the end of games this season.
  • Goal kicker, can we please invest / look to sign a proper goal / field kicker, I guess we've been spoilt with the GG in recent seasons but Palfrey has been poor kicking wise, this year when he played and Yates did his best but we need consistency in that area.
  • Stand-off. Yates has been great at 7 but we've not had a proper number six to support him al year, whether its been through injury or ability I don't think Palf has worked out like we'd expect it too. you look at some of the more experienced half backs from across the Pennines that  we come up against (Scott Murrell et.al at Fax and your Batley's and Sheffield's) that have a wand of a boot but don't do much else but drag there teams around the park. A player in this mould would do wonders for Yates and the team, but I get that these guys come at a price that we might not be able to match

It might seem harsh complaining, we stayed up which is awesome and something that we all focused on but I reckon with some deep reflection and a couple of decent signings mid-table in well within our reach. Let's use the Biffos as a case in point they stayed up last year but failed to build on it and now find themselves in the dreaded championship 1 (BTW I'd have that pantomime villain George Tyson off them if he's available)

Just my observations on the season past and to come, with some careful planning next year can be another year of progress

Tyson! you must be joking.The guys a loose cannon .We are trying to rid ourselves of the  rep we have picked up of being ill disciplined not add to it.

7 hours ago, mickhornet said:

Tyson! you must be joking.The guys a loose cannon .We are trying to rid ourselves of the  rep we have picked up of being ill disciplined not add to it.

The lad's a good player though.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The lad's a good player though.

As an opponent I could not stand him. What I would say however is that he is one tough cookie and when he wants to be a very good player. 

Just a quickie on the discipline, once again we had three Hornets players cited. Bennion Tiara, and Foster, two out of three result in no charge, we have had this all season, the ref's have had an implant inserted in their noggins that Hornets are a dirty team, I blame Dennis Betts and hope his team flounder against Catalans.

The only player who was charged was Lewis Foster, for dissent, proper thug!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Baron Mk11 said:

Just a quickie on the discipline, once again we had three Hornets players cited. Bennion Tiara, and Foster, two out of three result in no charge, we have had this all season, the ref's have had an implant inserted in their noggins that Hornets are a dirty team, I blame Dennis Betts and hope his team flounder against Catalans.

As you say, this is happening too often to our players. 

8 hours ago, The Baron Mk11 said:

Agreed.

Another example. Galbraith banned for a game and THEN no case to answer. How often has someone been punished before being found not guilty? I know it was an appeal but why the ban before the final outcome?

Edited by owfener

14 minutes ago, owfener said:

Agreed.

Another example. Galbraith banned for a game and THEN no case to answer. How often has someone been punished before being found not guilty? I know it was an appeal but why the ban before the final outcome?

I agree, I can't recall that happening before.