richie keay

It's Newcastle

they beat york today and are one of the most improved sides this season but barrow should have too much fire power and a barrow win for mine (stevo-ism)

We'll take it as it comes richie, but my worry is the rumours flying around the ground today. I can't believe what i've heard today, so it's up to the NEW board to assure us.

27 minutes ago, scrumhalf said:

they beat york today and are one of the most improved sides this season but barrow should have too much fire power and a barrow win for mine (stevo-ism)

A very much below par York, so don't read too much into that one.

• Confused 1

scrumhalf has every right to ask since I alluded to the rumours. The rumours are, we are thousands in debt. I hate rumours and find that hard to believe but that's why i'm asking for clarification.

well we were left in half a million pounds of debt so I would imagine it would take some paying off and the lower attendances this season wouldn't have helped

In early July there was a topic on here called "Trouble at mill", due to a couple of potentially libellous comments it was removed by the Moderator.  It gave me no satisfaction raising the issue but at that time I had been informed the club was in no position financially to be promoted, after todays outstanding performance I hope it's not the case, can we afford not to be promoted.

Good luck to the board, led by a very astute business man in sorting this and making the correct decision.

2 hours ago, SJD said:

In early July there was a topic on here called "Trouble at mill", due to a couple of potentially libellous comments it was removed by the Moderator.  It gave me no satisfaction raising the issue but at that time I had been informed the club was in no position financially to be promoted, after todays outstanding performance I hope it's not the case, can we afford not to be promoted.

Good luck to the board, led by a very astute business man in sorting this and making the correct decision.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought clubs at Championship level received a bit of financial support from the league?

How would Barrow's financial position be negatively impacted in promotion?  I would have thought that more home games against better opposition in a higher quality tier would impact attendance in a positive way, and also attract higher quality advertizing revenue.

Half a dozen games with really good attendance can put a good dent in debt.

As a businessman myself, I would put a ton of effort into local marketing to attempt to boost the gate at the opener next season.  I also might be inclined to pressure the league to make certain the home opener was a marquee club likely to attract a big audience - either say TWP or some Championship competitor which might bring a large away fanbase.  TWP said somewhere in a musing by Perez that  next year they are going to try to really market to the thousands of Canadians who live in the UK which might also help with the TWP "away" gate.

I know from prior threads here at TRL that Barrow really got the short end of the stick this year.   But I think they have to go for it all out, and if something negative happens off field, the organization can hold its head high for having done all that it can in its play.

Newcastle is a tough squad but I think Barrow will come out on top.

Edited by Captain Survival

9 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

Newcastle is a tough squad but I think Barrow will come out on top.

reasonable mate but I don't know what the club has to do to get the lost supporters back

Captain, Barrow is a very small town in the N West of England, as the old joke goes it's the longest cul de sac in  the UK.   This year a gate of 1007 is pretty good but no where close to the numbers required to fund a successful club and unlike TWP we don't have a sugar daddy, our Commercial Mgr does all he can to  promote the club without reward.

With average attendance this year, at a guess, around the 800 I would suggest was far less than predicted, not helped in any way by the awful fixture list, we only seemed to have the less supported clubs at Craven Park, the home derby matches which do attract more didn't happen, for example we played Haven away twice and of course travelled to  Canada twice.  

Ask the RFL to give us a marquee club in the first round next season, I think in time Captain  you will come to realise the RFL doesn't go out of it's way to help clubs like Barrow.

Just  a few years ago we were riding high in the Championship, beating one Super League club and coming very close to winning against two others, but achieving that success came with a high price, we had all of our points deducted and on the back of that were relegated to where we are now.  So in 2012 a new Board came in and realised the club was in a serious financial hole, it has taken a massive effort from all Directors over the past few years to reduce/eliminate that debt whilst at the same time put out a competitive team, they have done wonders.

Right now I suspect we are facing a difficult moment, it would be worth looking at the situation with the Bradford Bulls, one of the biggest names in English rugby, they were relegated to the Championship and in their efforts to regain their place in the Super League spent a huge amount of money and when they didn't get their promotion they have paid a hefty price, they have been in liquidation on more than one occasion and as direct result of the most recent liquidation will find themselves in League 1 next season, this with much support from the RFL.

Take a look at the recent signings for TWP, David Taylor with a 3 years, $1m deal, although I don't think for one minute he will be with you for the 3 years.  Hull KR who have succeeded in gaining promotion have spent a huge amount of money, well over the million pounds, we are not in any way able to find these sums of money which puts us at a disadvantage.

If Toronto stay around for a number of years you will start to understand the difficulties facing clubs like ours.

End of lecture, soap box back in the garage

Edited by SJD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said

Excellent by SJD. The Captain is right about marketing though. At the moment we have one unpaid guy doing the best he can on his own to promote the club. He needs help and I would love to see suggestions on here to help move the club forward.

@SJD  Thank you for your thoughts.  Although I think you realized it, my remarks were not in any way a criticism of Barrow, even if you were to peruse some other Barrow threads you would see I was looking to expand my knowledge of Barrow as I thought they were a good club, and I realized quite some time ago from past postings that they got the short end of the stick in this years draw.

We Canadians do not have a very good impression of the upper echelons of management of the league.  The turmoil their haphazard decision-making  over the last few years has caused is very evident just from following the many threads in the general forum has us all scratching our heads, and sometimes grimacing.  But even if they are tone deaf, I still think Barrow management should plead their case for something to help them out of the gate next year. 

Maybe they should approach TWP management (on the assumption that Barrow is promoted) to suggest that the first match of the Championship season should be between the 2 promoted clubs, held in Barrow, as a commencement of a promotion rivalry.  I think TWP would buy into that, but it might be demoralizing for Barrow when you lose for the third time!  :D

I will let you know that being a very typical Canadian (we are a reasonably well educated bunch over here including yours truly), since becoming aware that the game I last played in my youth over 40 yrs ago was in the public e,ye I have researched every L1 club, locations, history, ad nauseam.   i have every site of interest in each of your lovely towns all marked out for that future bucket list, head to the UK Rugby trip....... I know your clubs general history including what happened when it was penalized for exceeding the salary cap.

TWP having a sugar daddy (although in fact it is a group of 10 shareholders) was a smart business move. I think any future NA entrants will follow a similar formula, with good reason.  I have spoken in other threads that I thought Perez was busy building a business template, and now the intent is to use that template for other NA clubs.  I also recognize (we all do IMHO) that only some aspects of that template (particularly marketing) are applicable for all these small centers in Cumbria.

I am quite skeptical about the reported size of Taylor's contract.  I have experience with sports contracts, and my strong suspicion is that there is a guaranteed minimum that probably is no more then 100K (if that) and the rest is performance based.  But it is true that TWP has the depth of pockets to spend right to the salary cap limit, and they also are getting the audience  (which will definitely grow next year) to help support those expenses.

Finally many of the Canadian fans became aware quite early on that most of the L1 clubs were operating on shockingly low budgets - there was a huge amount of press about the financial disparity between TWP and its competitors.  Its part of the reason we have treated your clubs so well irrespective of score.  Canada was the perennial also ran for decades due to limited budgets and all our best athletes going into hockey or North American style football.  You could say we recognize kindred spirits...

Sorry about the long  post.  I hope Barrow gets promoted, and I hope it prospers, and I hope eventually to be an away visitor.  In the interim your team needs a marketing department!

Edited by Captain Survival
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very very good post Captain and very true.

10 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

@SJD  Thank you for your thoughts.  Although I think you realized it, my remarks were not in any way a criticism of Barrow, even if you were to peruse some other Barrow threads you would see I was looking to expand my knowledge of Barrow as I thought they were a good club, and I realized quite some time ago from past postings that they got the short end of the stick in this years draw.

We Canadians do not have a very good impression of the upper echelons of management of the league.  The turmoil their haphazard decision-making  over the last few years has caused is very evident just from following the many threads in the general forum has us all scratching our heads, and sometimes grimacing.  But even if they are tone deaf, I still think Barrow management should plead their case for something to help them out of the gate next year. 

Maybe they should approach TWP management (on the assumption that Barrow is promoted) to suggest that the first match of the Championship season should be between the 2 promoted clubs, held in Barrow, as a commencement of a promotion rivalry.  I think TWP would buy into that, but it might be demoralizing for Barrow when you lose for the third time!  :D

I will let you know that being a very typical Canadian (we are a reasonably well educated bunch over here including yours truly), since becoming aware that the game I last played in my youth over 40 yrs ago was in the public e,ye I have researched every L1 club, locations, history, ad nauseam.   i have every site of interest in each of your lovely towns all marked out for that future bucket list, head to the UK Rugby trip....... I know your clubs general history including what happened when it was penalized for exceeding the salary cap.

TWP having a sugar daddy (although in fact it is a group of 10 shareholders) was a smart business move. I think any future NA entrants will follow a similar formula, with good reason.  I have spoken in other threads that I thought Perez was busy building a business template, and now the intent is to use that template for other NA clubs.  I also recognize (we all do IMHO) that only some aspects of that template (particularly marketing) are applicable for all these small centers in Cumbria.

I am quite skeptical about the reported size of Taylor's contract.  I have experience with sports contracts, and my strong suspicion is that there is a guaranteed minimum that probably is no more then 100K (if that) and the rest is performance based.  But it is true that TWP has the depth of pockets to spend right to the salary cap limit, and they also are getting the audience  (which will definitely grow next year) to help support those expenses.

Finally many of the Canadian fans became aware quite early on that most of the L1 clubs were operating on shockingly low budgets - there was a huge amount of press about the financial disparity between TWP and its competitors.  Its part of the reason we have treated your clubs so well irrespective of score.  Canada was the perennial also ran for decades due to limited budgets and all our best athletes going into hockey or North American style football.  You could say we recognize kindred spirits...

Sorry about the long  post.  I hope Barrow gets promoted, and I hope it prospers, and I hope eventually to be an away visitor.  In the interim your team needs a marketing department!

Excellent post Captain and I would have pressed the like button but cannot agree with first sentence of the last paragraph!! As a Whitehaven supporter I would prefer us to be promoted rather than our Cumbrian neighbours. 

All well and good.

But whoever gets promoted cannot get anywhere near the monies twp can generate.  

And what really p,s me off,  on " the day " Barrow and Whitehaven potentially can get nothing,  and be beaten by clubs on  " the day "  by a team   -----

13 -:  and  10 -:  points behind them  respectively   

Wheres the logic in that.  

Sh#t or bust comes to mind.  !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Yes a good post Captain but I'd like to give you just a little heed about crowd figures and your assumption TWP 's will rise next season .It s well known in most sports that if you have a successful run and seem all conquering and invincible then (paricularly as a brand new product with a novelty factor and seemingly huge bottomless pockets ) people will come and support and be thrilled and entertained as you all ride high in the clouds , however , the more progress in these leagues you have then the tougher opposition you will meet and buying whole squads of far and wide talent very rarely works to the desired effect as many clubs have found ( however much money they seemed to have had ) Once your performances and game winning ratio falls (which it inevitably will ) and your team are on the wrong side of some of those 56- 12 hidings then 7,300 gates can easily melt away to 4, 300 and this is when you began to see how much more cash your BOD will stump up and for how long they will continue to run at a net loss and how much the RFL will continue with such ventures . Enjoy the hay days mate .

Edited by Anonymouse

Skipper, you are a diamond geezer and obviously a convert to this great game and I love you researching the history. Good on you but I have to say, the above comments are among the most spot on i've ever seen on a thread. I can't disagree with any of them. I hope you take it all on board with the good spirit intended, but the OP was about our game with Newcastle and as one poster alluded to, a whole season could go out the window on one game. A bad referee (who would of thought?), a couple of early bad injuries, a power cut and the beer pumps going off, the season's over. WTF? 

A season after finishing second and not getting promoted would I think, knock 300 off next seasons gate, and who would blame them for thinking, what's the point? A reality i'm afraid in this crazy league. 

1 hour ago, Christoff1986 said:

Hi guys,

My latest blog previews all the Play-off matches for this weekend.  Have a read and let me know what you think...

http://cdpark86.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/the-play-offs-part-1.html

Cheers,

Christoff.

It should be Raiders win but we shouldnt underestimate Thunder they are a very well drilled side and have beaten most of the top 8 teams this season and were only beaten by 2 pts against Barrow in the 8's . If they can hit form there could be an upset , nerves could play a part in this game if it is close .

Edited by Anonymouse

Today I expected a close fought game, but the Raiders had other ideas.  The pack to a man were outstanding laying the base for what turned out to be an easy win, full credit to the Newcastle fans who, unlike their team, never gave up and as a contest it was over soon into the second half.

60 - 0, roll on next Sunday