Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

22nd Sept : Super 8s : Castleford Tigers v Hull FC K.O. 8pm Sky TV

Gawd, the build up to this game feels cupfinalesque to me.

Cas don't need to turn up but obviously will do. Hull definitely need to turn up if Saints win tomorrow night so it leaves for an intriguing encounter. I'm nervous but also quietly confident we'll be there or thereabouts.

Looking forward to seeing how young Jacob Trueman goes against us as well, sounds like he's some player already.

I've no idea how the result will go, if Cas get on a roll they'll be difficult to beat but that applies to us also.

Cas 22 Hull FC 26.

(Please! :mellow:)

• Like 1

The squads will be named soon so it will be interesting to see who Cas are resting. 

I'm confident that Hull will get the job done though. 

22-30

If my goggles arrive in time, I will have them nervously to hand, in case FC win. I have always loved fish and the Beautiful South... 

if I were Cas, I might be tempted to go full out here, as the prospect of a home semi against us probably appeals after last week end.

• Haha 1

No Gale, Hardaker, Moors, Millington, Milner, Shenton, Holmes or Massey. 

The first 4 are arguably their best 4 players. If Hull can't beat a team resting that many in a must win game then we don't really deserve to be in the 4.

• Like 3

Hull at it close to full strength, Cas resting a host. Hard to see past an away win.

Which probably means St. Helens in the semis. A Cas win would mean probably Wigan. I think I'd prefer Wigan next week than Saints.

I can see why Powell has picked this team. I'm not sure I agree with it though.

• Like 1

Squads are:

Castleford: Matt Cook, Greg Eden, Tuoyo Edogo, Conor Fitzsimmons, Alex Foster, Jy Hitchcox, Tom Holmes, Kevin Larroyer, Andy Lynch, Will Maher, Mike McMeeken, Paul McShane, Greg Minikin, Joel Monaghan, Ben Roberts, Jesse Sene-Lefao, Gadwin Springer, Jake Trueman, Jake Webster.

Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Mahe Fonua, Josh Griffin, Carlos Tuimavave, Fetuli Talanoa, Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Liam Watts, Sika Manu, Mark Minichiello, Gareth Ellis, Jake Connor, Chris Green, Josh Bowden, Brad Fash, Steve Michaels, Danny Washbrook.

Cas 24 v 36 Hull  and another inch off each finger nail!

Hull to win this - it'll still be close but I think missing their key players, Cas won't have enough in the tank to beat Hull. 

3 hours ago, Dunedan said:

Hull at it close to full strength, Cas resting a host. Hard to see past an away win.

Which probably means St. Helens in the semis. A Cas win would mean probably Wigan. I think I'd prefer Wigan next week than Saints.

Difficult to go against anything Powells done this year.  Maybe only checking his text messages - the rests been spot on.

1 hour ago, Roy Boy said:

Squads are:

Castleford: Matt Cook, Greg Eden, Tuoyo Edogo, Conor Fitzsimmons, Alex Foster, Jy Hitchcox, Tom Holmes, Kevin Larroyer, Andy Lynch, Will Maher, Mike McMeeken, Paul McShane, Greg Minikin, Joel Monaghan, Ben Roberts, Jesse Sene-Lefao, Gadwin Springer, Jake Trueman, Jake Webster.

Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Mahe Fonua, Josh Griffin, Carlos Tuimavave, Fetuli Talanoa, Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Liam Watts, Sika Manu, Mark Minichiello, Gareth Ellis, Jake Connor, Chris Green, Josh Bowden, Brad Fash, Steve Michaels, Danny Washbrook.

Cas 24 v 36 Hull  and another inch off each finger nail!

Pleased to see Manu in.  No Crane?

33 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Pleased to see Manu in.  No Crane?

Mick was last seen in Grandways limping - I hear he'll be back next week though as his slate in Corals has been stopped....

• Like 1

The mighty Hull at a canter looking at the squads.

Not how I would have done it but I am sure Powell will have a plan.

Just hope Hull "gift" us some points.🤔🤔

9 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

Just hope Hull "gift" us some points.🤔🤔

We did last time....Oh, I see, you were being ironic. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

We did last time....Oh, I see, you were being ironic. :ph34r:

Every point we score against you according to some on here.😀👍

I do hope you make the 4 though, best to see the best teams in the mix at the business end.

If you remember, I did tip you for the GF. So no pressure!!!! 😉😉

I had Hull down for a win (not exactly confidently it has to be said) just because when we have had to win we have and you would have to say with the Cas players rested that is more of a possibility now. I really hope Hull don't look at that team and think its going to be an easy win and then start pushing passes early and getting frustrated if not going to plan. I am going to go for a 20-31 nervy win with the fringe Cas players really going for it. I would also guess a bit of baiting will go on - Cas really have nothing to lose.. As said above in another post if Hull cant win this then frankly we are still not quite ready for a GF appearance anyway (at which point good luck Cas!)

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Difficult to go against anything Powells done this year.  Maybe only checking his text messages - the rests been spot on.

True. And to be fair, Cas can still pick a decent 17 from that 19. Should be a good game, and a chance to see some fringe players. Looking forward to seeing Egodo in action.

As an aside, how to fan from other clubs do it? There is a week to go before the semi and  I already feel like I'm having heart palpitations!

7 hours ago, Dunedan said:

With a five day turnaround from the Wigan game and only six days to the semi which has been a guaranteed home game for weeks, he'd be unwise to do anything else. He doesn't strike me as the unwise type.

Still expecting a tough game whoever turns out. 

First visit for me to the DW on Sun, can sincerely say a super stadium. The thing is though it was a very tough game, and somehow ridiculously lasted almost 2 hours, kicking off at 3.07pm and ending at 5.05pm and this was NOT a Sky game, so no video replays. Some stoppages yes but none untoward or of that magnitude. So Cas had to play a near on 2 hour slog, and with the game being played on the Sunday it meant a short turnaround and then another short turnaround to the play off on the following Thursday.

Powell in his interview pretty much said it was the short turnaround that forced his hand with the team selection. I am sure if Cas had played the Wigan game on the Thurs or Friday, you would have seen a much stronger looking squad v Hull. The thing is it's now making it highly likely that Saints will get the fourth spot, and they are probably the freshest of all the teams and are looking increasingly dangerous. They are the team that we, Cas would have least wanted, but the way things have panned out, that looks very much now like who we are getting.

If we can't win this, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Simple as really.

Hull need to win the next 2 games to improve on last season. They need to win one to equal it. Lose and, unless there's a shock at Saints and Wigan, it will be a worse season than last. 

Not a bad position for us for a change to be able to say that we've had a worse season than previous despite winning a trophy!

• Like 1