Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Wakey to stay at Belle Vue, redevelopment plans

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/646279/Wakefield-Trinity-Belle-Vue-new-stadium-12m-development-Jeremy-Cross-exclusive

"Wakefield Council have now agreed to take out a new lease on the current Belle Vue site, where building work on the new ground is expected to start in 12 months time and will also include retail, residential and entertainment developments."

• Like 4

Fingers crossed that this happens. It would be Carter's greatest legacy to the club.

• Like 1

Am I reading this right that Belle Vue is being redeveloped not Newmarket? If so, this is the biggest news at Wakefield - arguably in its history. Where is all the other stuff going to fit it? It is a bit snug as it is. I am not a Wakefield fan but was born there - so much potential with no competing football club. 

Great news for the game and for Wakey.

You know if they move out of town they'd be like Salford or Swinton on a slow road to a painful death.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That looks awfully large for a 10k capacity? 

Good luck to Wakefield. The costs of renting and keeping Belle Vue open have been a weight around their neck. Hopefully a catalyst to see them really kick on. 

So Box has got away with not getting the developer to meet their obligations at Newmarket by getting them to pony up for a stadium at Belle Vue where they get to develop that (smaller) site commercially as well? Seems to have worked out for Trinity ok in the end if they get to stay in town, but let's hope the developer doesn't renege again.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

That looks awfully large for a 10k capacity? 

Good luck to Wakefield. The costs of renting and keeping Belle Vue open have been a weight around their neck. Hopefully a catalyst to see them really kick on. 

This really could be the kickstart for Trin. Really excited for them now. They can focus on the rest of the Rugby now.

Fantastic news for Wakefield Trinity

Great credit must go to S.W.A.G. and it's members along with the Wakefield Community Stadium Trust who have campaigned and lobbied tirelessly for 10 years or more to get and keep this on the agenda.

After many proposed schemes and false starts this one seems substantial and I have a much more positive vibe about it becoming a reality.

My only worries about the scheme and it's design are

1. What is happening about the substantial Community Sports Facilities that were proposed alongside the stadium? They were as much part of Yorkcourts obligations under the S106 which saw the developer gifted hundreds of acres of Greenbelt land. Carter has been very publicly stating "I just want what was promised" but seems happy to throw the wider sporting community under a bus to get the stadium.

2. Where is the parking for this new stadium? There may be some free bus scheme or something else like it but a 10,000 capacity stadium will require a 3,000 space car/coach park.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Great credit must go to S.W.A.G. and it's members along with the Wakefield Community Stadium Trust who have campaigned and lobbied tirelessly for 10 years or more to get and keep this on the agenda.

After many proposed schemes and false starts this one seems substantial and I have a much more positive vibe about it becoming a reality.

1. What is happening about the substantial Community Sports Facilities that were proposed alongside the stadium? They were as much part of Yorkcourts obligations under the S106 which saw the developer gifted hundreds of acres of Greenbelt land. Carter has been very publicly stating "I just want what was promised" but seems happy to throw the wider sporting community under a bus to get the stadium.

2. Where is the parking for this new stadium? There may be some free bus scheme or something else like it but a 10,000 capacity stadium will require a 3,000 space car/coach park.

4 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Same as you park now plenty of off street parking just like any inner City stadium.  They may build coach/ car park on new relief road if needs be.

Up the Trin 

Yeah some good points in there regarding community facilities & it appears that there is still plenty of boxes to tick & with Yorkcourt being involved lets hope any agreement is watertight! Still Mr Carter & the trust didn't have many cards to play so it appears that the community facilities have been sacrificed for this but this is more than many of us expected. I was expecting a slow painful death for the club.

Well it made me laugh!

We've had so many false dawns so until construction work begins I remain doubtful but it seems all parties are pulling in one direction here. Shame new relief road wasn't a suitable option but this is by far away the next best proposal. Carter is usually very pessimistic when it comes to the stadium matter so the fact he's not rubbished it immediately gives me hope.

I eagerly await the upcoming planning applications.  

• Like 2