Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Bradford signal intent for next season

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

The sooner the bulls are back in super league, the better

Be interesting to see what happens in 2019/2020 with 2nd Canadian team coming, could see a return to licensing in some form?

4 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Be interesting to see what happens in 2019/2020 with 2nd Canadian team coming, could see a return to licensing in some form?

I would expect the drawbridge to be pulled up when there are at least 2 teams from North America are in Super League with at least 1 from France and a London team, and it will be  14 team competition.

I'm not saying i agree with it but i think its going to happen

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I would expect the drawbridge to be pulled up when there are at least 2 teams from North America are in Super League with at least 1 from France and a London team, and it will be  14 team competition.

I'm not saying i agree with it but i think its going to happen

I agree. There's no way teams from North America will be allowed to be relegated once they've tasted super league.

9 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

The sooner the bulls are back in super league, the better

I think the sooner they sort themselves out and become sustainable the better should be the aim.

If they are sustainable they should prove big enough to get back to SL. They could be put in SL tomorrow but nothing suggests that we wouldnt get the same result.

• Like 6

Has there been any news/discussion re a new ground/redevelopment of Odsal.

However much people may wish to see Bradford back in the SL,surely it's not viable/sustainable with the ground as it is.I appreciate people go on about atmosphere etc,but frankly it's an embarrassment in terms of modern standards/facilities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cookey said:

Has there been any news/discussion re a new ground/redevelopment of Odsal.

However much people may wish to see Bradford back in the SL,surely it's not viable/sustainable with the ground as it is.I appreciate people go on about atmosphere etc,but frankly it's an embarrassment in terms of modern standards/facilities.

This. And they're ######, both on and off the pitch. 

Relegation/promotion is foreign to n/American sport. However they must accept that relegation from sl (if/when) they get there is what gives all teams hope. The alternative is teams cannot be relegated after one season in sk, it gives time for teams to build for the future. Every season the bottom one or two teams would get relegated on points over the previous 2 seasons. 14 teams would give more scope also. Just my opinion though

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I think the sooner they sort themselves out and become sustainable the better should be the aim.

If they are sustainable they should prove big enough to get back to SL. They could be put in SL tomorrow but nothing suggests that we wouldnt get the same result.

I don't want any more false dawns. If it means 5 years at the bottom until things turn round, so be it. Any more BS and I'm done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Why?

I guess because we have a historical soft spot for them.... can be no other reason.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Why?

Because they are one of the only clubs who have proven themselves capable of getting 15k+ crowds regularly (in recent history).

• Like 5

I cant see how anybody would need to question why a strong Bulls would benefit RL in this country.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kev p said:

Relegation/promotion is foreign to n/American sport. However they must accept that relegation from sl (if/when) they get there is what gives all teams hope. The alternative is teams cannot be relegated after one season in sk, it gives time for teams to build for the future. Every season the bottom one or two teams would get relegated on points over the previous 2 seasons. 14 teams would give more scope also. Just my opinion though

If the NA teams make it to SL by winning promotion then by that fact another team will have been relegated barring the SL expanding numerically. If you live by the sword you have to die by the sword.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Why?

Because they've shown what can be achieved on and off the field. Their contribution to super league has been huge, and they have the potential to make that contribution again.

Totally agree a revitalised Bradford would be good for Super League, providing it was well run, sustainable etc. However name me a club in Rugby League that wouldn’t be an asset to Super League if it had the money, structure, fans, wherewithal, knowledge etc.

The Bulls have eroded a lot of goodwill over the past half decade, with the wider RL community, but significantly their own fanbase. I’m with Johnnoco, I’d settle for a few years not worrying we’re going to go bust because we lost a couple of games and building slowly. Fact is, there has been a culture of incompetence and mismanagement at the club and it’s going to take some time to turn that oil tanker around. I remain sceptical as to if it can be done as there are a lot of assurances that still need to be given.

However the current signings for 2018 are certainly a step in the right direction and probably some of the best news of the year for the club (an incredibly low bar, but still). All talk of SL needs to stop IMO as it’s neither helpful, nor realistic – for the next few years at least.

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Totally agree a revitalised Bradford would be good for Super League, providing it was well run, sustainable etc. However name me a club in Rugby League that wouldn’t be an asset to Super League if it had the money, structure, fans, wherewithal, knowledge etc.

This is an interesting point. Essentially, we're saying that the Bulls are potentially big enough to generate enough independent revenue to be just about self-sufficient, and not one of those clubs that are basically a construct of TV money. This is indeed worth having in Superleague and I'm not sure there are any other British clubs outside SL that you could also say that about with any confidence. Certainly not London, Fev or Sheffield etc.

Also, speaking as a southerner , I can also say that the Bulls are still one of the few clubs that folk down here could name, if you really pressed them, along with Wigan, Saints and Hull. (Leeds strangely doesn't register, maybe cos their soccer team is still more famous)  

So from a branding and promotional perspective, a strong Bulls in Superleague helps the product.

But you're right, all this can be proved through actions, not hopes. Sort out a stadium, attract some boosters, work your market, and SL should be attainable through the regular means anyway. 

50 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

This is an interesting point. Essentially, we're saying that the Bulls are potentially big enough to generate enough independent revenue to be just about self-sufficient, and not one of those clubs that are basically a construct of TV money. This is indeed worth having in Superleague and I'm not sure there are any other British clubs outside SL that you could also say that about with any confidence. Certainly not London, Fev or Sheffield etc.

Not sure we're on the same page here. The thing is the Bulls are not big enough to be self-sufficient, and haven't been for well over a decade (if ever) hence pretty much everything that has happened to the club since they last won the title. 

If I read it right, to it boils that the Bulls brand is worth more to the game because they won titles in recent memory, yet the clubs you mention in - particularly London and Fev - are in much better positions currently as functioning sports clubs than Bradford are. The brand cannot be that valuable, the club had to be forced into liquidation before anyone would buy it a few months ago. People can probably still go on naming Bradford now as they keep hitting the headlines for "Former World Champions hit new low" - where is the value in that? 

To me the thinking that Bradford Bulls as a "recognisable" brand is enough to steer the club away from the sticky stuff - in SL or elsewhere - is the exact kind of thinking the club needs to move away from.  The value of the brand is less than zero, they need to create some new value to the game through actions, not living in the past

Edited by Amber Avenger

19 minutes ago, Amber Avenger said:

Not sure we're on the same page here. The thing is the Bulls are not big enough to be self-sufficient, and haven't been for well over a decade (if ever) hence pretty much everything that has happened to the club since they last won the title. 

If I read it right, to it boils that the Bulls brand is worth more to the game because they won titles in recent memory, yet the clubs you mention in - particularly London and Fev - are in much better positions currently as functioning sports clubs than Bradford are. The brand cannot be that valuable, the club had to be forced into liquidation before anyone would buy it a few months ago. People can probably still go on naming Bradford now as they keep hitting the headlines for "Former World Champions hit new low" - where is the value in that? 

To me the thinking that Bradford Bulls as a "recognisable" brand is enough to steer the club away from the sticky stuff - in SL or elsewhere - is the exact kind of thinking the club needs to move away from.  The value of the brand is less than zero, they need to create some new value through actions, not living in the past

Sure, I'm not suggesting the club should receive any special dispensations based on its status or reputation, I'm just saying that IF the club managed to get its act together off the field, then the potential upside for the sport as a whole in terms of recognition is probably a bit higher than for most other non-SL clubs. But it would be a "nice to have" not anything that should drive league alignments.

As far as self-sufficiency, you're right of course, or we wouldn't be where we are now. But what do you reckon the potential crowd is for the club, say 5 years from now, IF all the other things that have to come first get done properly, like a stadium deal with the council, and a proper long-term investor came in? It's got to be higher than most other English non-SL clubs could potentially get, surely? You are still pulling more than most even as a basket case. Or do you think all that latent support has gone for good?

Edited by Toby Chopra
accuracy