Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Bradford signal intent for next season

34 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Sure, I'm not suggesting the club should receive any special dispensations based on its status or reputation, I'm just saying that IF the club managed to get its act together off the field, then the potential upside for the sport as a whole in terms of recognition is probably a bit higher than for most other non-SL clubs. But it would be a "nice to have" not anything that should drive league alignments.

As far as self-sufficiency, you're right of course, or we wouldn't be where we are now. But what do you reckon the potential crowd is for the club, say 5 years from now, IF all the other things that have to come first get done properly, like a stadium deal with the council, and a proper long-term investor came in? It's got to be higher than most other English non-SL clubs could potentially get, surely? You are still pulling more than most even as a basket case. Or do you think all that latent support has gone for good?

I think that's so far away, and so unlikely as it stands it's barely even worth debating (IMO).

In the here and now the Bulls are down to the hardcore and a higher-than-you'd-probably-like percentage of that are narked off/close to binning it off - which is why off season recruitment is so crucial this year to stop alienating that remaining fan base. 

Do I think the latent support is gone for good? Yes, probably. Like I say, any good will those people had when we were last winning trophies in 2005 will have ebbed away when the club asked the fans to save it in 2012, and will have had it's life support pulled, and buried 6 feet under between then and the following three administrations, five changes of ownership, one liquidation (and a partridge in a pair tree). If in this hypothetical scenario, Bradford get into SL in 2023, that's two decades since we won the treble and pretty much at our height and crowds began to dip. How long does latent support hang around for at any club, never mind the basket case at Odsal?

The club has set a target of 3,000 season tickets next year. With very little info coming out about the ongoing ambitions of the club, fans having being burned with last year's ST's and yet another impending court case, I think a lot of people will be keeping their wallets firmly in their pockets pending further info. 

You say things could turn round "if a long term investor came in" - in that sense, to go back to my original point, how is Bradford different from any club outside of Super League. Pretty big if and that could turn around the fortunes of any club. Bradford's problem now, then, and will continue to be that they have never had that and probably never will. 

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Like 3

Academic.

Absent a sugar daddy (no-one "invests" in RL!) and/or a very supportive local authority to help sort the stadium issue out once and for all,  there is no way on this planet that the Bulls can ever climb back to SL. The finances just are not there.

Will a sugar daddy ever appear? Will some final solution regarding the stadium be the enticement needed for one to manifest himself?  Does the fact that the Bulls somehow still seem to be maintaining an academy (to develop stars for other clubs...) suggest someone knows something? No idea!

But I suggest there is no way now any club can climb up to SL without a wealthy backer. Something Bulls have never ever had.

Unless, of course, some sort of licensing was to return...?

Edited by Adeybull
  • Like 1

The last thing we need anytime soon is to have anyone even thinking about parachuting us into Super League. It would only end in disaster.

I agree with Amber Avenger and Adeybull, unless a way is found to deal with the ever-present issue about Odsal - and that's going to need serious financial input - then we will never be able to compete at Super League level, or anywhere close to that.

Right now, I would settle for a few years of stability - hopefully back in the Championship after a year in League One. If anything then develops regarding the ground and finances, then so be it.

• Like 1

Let's imagine I have some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket. I might fancy a season ticket....but what exactly would I be buying a ticket for? I don't know WTF is happening next year for sure. It's crazy.

22 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Let's imagine I have some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket. I might fancy a season ticket....but what exactly would I be buying a ticket for? I don't know WTF is happening next year for sure. It's crazy.

As long as Stuart Duffy is at the club, it's a worthwhile proposition

Bradford as proven it can be a huge asset to SL. It went belly up though. Why it all went wrong has been discussed to death on this forum.  Some here believe TWP is the new beginning of TGG. It might be but almost certainly won't be. 

9 minutes ago, Frog said:

Bradford as proven it can be a huge asset to SL. It went belly up though. Why it all went wrong has been discussed to death on this forum.  Some here believe TWP is the new beginning of TGG. It might be but almost certainly won't be. 

Whats TGG?

It's what we call it when clearly it's not. Lot of Insecurity here sometimes. It's why the same mistakes are made over and over. A kind of Insanity but it is what it is.

12 minutes ago, Frog said:

A kind of Insanity but it is what it is.

Almost like someone spending all their free time signing up to RL forums over and over and over again when they're not actually a fan of the sport.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Almost like someone spending all their free time signing up to RL forums over and over and over again when they're not actually a fan of the sport.

I've been a fan of the sport all my life. Always will be. I'm frustrated at its inability to grow beyond its narrow self Imposed borders. 

I hope that SL brings in minimum standards again. That would include for me having a reserve grade, academy but also that Clubs are having debts that are under control. There is no point having Bradford (or any other team) in based on hot air and fantasy. Bradford did get 15K many years ago but how many come now? And despite 10K Crowds they was still losing big amounts of money. We need ALL teams in SL, and the other Leagues to be of a certain standards on AND off the field. And rushing clubs in to SL when they are not ready will do more harm than good despite the potential they have.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I hope that SL brings in minimum standards again. That would include for me having a reserve grade, academy but also that Clubs are having debts that are under control. There is no point having Bradford (or any other team) in based on hot air and fantasy. Bradford did get 15K many years ago but how many come now? And despite 10K Crowds they was still losing big amounts of money. We need ALL teams in SL, and the other Leagues to be of a certain standards on AND off the field. And rushing clubs in to SL when they are not ready will do more harm than good despite the potential they have.

There seems to be a current theme in all sport now that excludes itself from the hum drum of profit v Loss. I wouldn't use that idea to promote a long term strategy but sport in general seems to be heading down this way.

19 minutes ago, Frog said:

There seems to be a current theme in all sport now that excludes itself from the hum drum of profit v Loss. I wouldn't use that idea to promote a long term strategy but sport in general seems to be heading down this way.

Losing money is not the problem. Its when them debts are not able to be covered, usually a money man/men and them debts spiral out of control is the problem. Most businesses and that includes Sporting Clubs will make losses and its accepted. Usually them debts are covered by assets and/or by individuals.

But we have seen at clubs like Crusaders, Bradford, Wakefield, Halifax, Wigan, Salford etc that how these debts can get out of control and then clubs are forced to sell everything and hope they can survive. Often much of the problems at these clubs could have been better handled if people had been more honest and open with things. I would hope that if we was to go back and have minimum standards, that things are done better by the RFL and that clubs. That Clubs are forced to be more honest with the RFL and themselves. How that could be done is open to suggestion and no doubt a few Clubs would not be in too much favour of this.....Sadly its usually the employees and to a lesser degree the fans that suffer the most, rather than those running the club when things get out of control.

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

They've also signed Matt Garside from London who's a decent player, statement of intent 

If true then that would be even more of a surprising signing and must mean they're splashing the cash and presumably staying full time. 

Garside is a very good player, possibly good enough for SL

The common theme on many of these threads is the self Interest of existing clubs and their agenda. It all seems self limiting to me but saying that the expansionist dogma goes completely in the opposite direction. , but is equally as misguided. My point is that we continue to go nowhere fast.

There's a few different variables now. A 2005 Bulls team, with a 10k average crowd, in a big, old, high maintenance stadium on £1.2m central funding was making a 6 figure loss. 

A 2020 Bulls team, in SL, with a shiny new low maintenance stadium, with a ? 7k average crowd, and crucially with £1.8m central funding, may quite easily be self sufficient. 

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

They've also signed Matt Garside from London who's a decent player, statement of intent 

Not official though. Joe Keyes signed for two more years today.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:09 PM, Tongs ya bas said:

Because they've shown what can be achieved on and off the field. Their contribution to super league has been huge, and they have the potential to make that contribution again.

But they're showing complete and utter incompetence now.

I don't care what has been, i want what you can bring to me now.

Slightly off topic but how have Bradford City managed to get to sustainable gates of 20,000 playing in the old 3rd division?