Gambling

Bookies are a pox on already impoverished communities in the main. Money vanishing down the offshore drain.

Labour's changes to the law in this area were ill-thought through. My local council has a planning policy of no more change of use licenses to convert premises to bookies - a policy which always gets overturned in the Courts on appeal. Money talks as it always does. Consequently, key road junctions in the area have 3 or 4 different bookies' chains within a few hundred  yards. Sometimes a chain will have two outlets within view of each other.

Celebs who promote gambling ought to give their head a wobble.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

I'd just like to point out that I'm not being judgemental in any way.

The reason I started the thread was that I've recently read a couple of articles about the growth of bookmakers often in the poorest parts of towns and the proliferation of fixed odds betting terminals in bookies as well as the growth of on line gambling.

I like spending money. I like buying stuff big time, but spending money in this way I just can't figure it out: and there seems to be an element of exploitation of people who haven't got much money.

16 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I buy a lottery now n again.... and I don't mind a day at the races....

But my outlay is minimal.... the occasion is more important tfan the gamble.

I'm too tight to gamble properly

This! For sure. But I have worked in an old-style bookies shop and it was full of losers, (and I don't just mean they lost their bets!) so I know that only the bookies make money out of gambling.

Like you, I do the lottery now and then (probably more often than I should), but it's money I don't need and won't miss.

What else can you do with a big lottery win? Make sure your nearest and dearest are comfortable, stash some 'fun money' and give the rest away.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

It is exploitation of people with not much money, no element about it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

And the lottery has been described as a tax on the poor, which it is! All those lottery-funded schemes simply save the government from paying for them.

Even Maggie was against the idea.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

It is

But why do people choose to be exploited? 

They don't see another way of climbing up the ladder, if they only had one lucky break the world would be OK.

Rich people can also be a victim.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

It is

But why do people choose to be exploited? 

It comes down to a lack of hope in many cases.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

23 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Consequently, key road junctions in the area have 3 or 4 different bookies' chains within a few hundred  yards. Sometimes a chain will have two outlets within view of each other.

One of those unexpected consequences.  I don't think they thought bookies would just open multiple shops to get round restrictions.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I don't get it.

No you don't - the bookie does.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Victoria Coren wrote a good piece on this a month or so ago -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/19/a-stupid-gamble-on-evil-machines

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, shrek said:

Things like this need outlawing, must take loads for mugs, especially with how easily you can manipulate your past results to make it look like your a winner.

Wasn't there a case recently when a tipster forgot to photoshop some slips that showed he was only betting pennies?

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Wasn't there a case recently when a tipster forgot to photoshop some slips that showed he was only betting pennies?

I missed that, but it wouldn't surprise me, it needs clamping down on, surely if there profiting from it, then posting it to a page on a public page on Facebook constitutes from form of advertising.

15 minutes ago, shrek said:

I missed that, but it wouldn't surprise me, it needs clamping down on, surely if there profiting from it, then posting it to a page on a public page on Facebook constitutes from form of advertising.

I don't fully understand betting (I mean the terminology), but this is the one I remembered seeing -

58 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

That's one of the articles I read. Of course coren is a serious gambler herself

However she argues (quite rightly IMO) that she gambles in a way (cards) that involves some input of skill from the participant whereas fixed odds betting machines operate on pure chance and with the odds weighted firmly in the bookies favour. It's telling that if you ever examine a fruit machine in a pub or wherever it will always state somewhere on the front the average payout percentage that machine gives, usually somewhere in the region of 80%. That actually spells out to the player that for every pound you put in you will most likely only get 80 pence back. In other words you're guaranteed to lose. I also suspect that Victoria Coren Mitchell can also afford her gambling, sticking well within her means.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

14 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

However she argues (quite rightly IMO) that she gambles in a way (cards) that involves some input of skill from the participant whereas fixed odds betting machines operate on pure chance and with the odds weighted firmly in the bookies favour. It's telling that if you ever examine a fruit machine in a pub or wherever it will always state somewhere on the front the average payout percentage that machine gives, usually somewhere in the region of 80%. That actually spells out to the player that for every pound you put in you will most likely only get 80 pence back. In other words you're guaranteed to lose. I also suspect that Victoria Coren Mitchell can also afford her gambling, sticking well within her means.

I'm a fan of hers too.

i do the football accum coupon some Saturdays ,maybe an rl handicap (but rare) a pound on each line- half the fun is seeing the results coming in and it adds a bit of interest to the games, apart from that nothing  much really

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived