Last ever super league game in France ?

barnyia

40 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Surely Catalans will have factored in the possibility of relegation in a p and r system?

I would hope they would have a plan for doing at least one season in the Championship at full pelt to see if they can bounce straight back up.

I would doubt they factored this in..on paper they should not be in this position. 

As a Fan I desperately want a win today And over the summer I hope they can let Bird go and spend the money better on more depth. A lack of squad depth has hurt them alot this year. Bird is a decent player but not worth what is it 350k euros pa...

They need to bring in solid hard working 21-27 year old Anzacs, English and French. 

10 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I would doubt they factored this in..on paper they should not be in this position. 

As a Fan I desperately want a win today And over the summer I hope they can let Bird go and spend the money better on more depth. A lack of squad depth has hurt them alot this year. Bird is a decent player but not worth what is it 350k euros pa...

They need to bring in solid hard working 21-27 year old Anzacs, English and French. 

You know what I mean though - anything can happen in a p and r system like an extreme injury crisis, loss of form etc.

I just thinks it's very poor management if they don't have a contingency in place at Les Cats for trying to fight through the Championship next year and bounce back like Hull KR have done.

Who knows whether being at the top of the Championship and winning virtually every week might reinvigorate the Dragons for future seasons.

I can understand how a prolonged absence from Super League would hurt a club, but not a single season.

10 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Not just Bird Catalans have too many experienced/older players and it shows in the fitness of the team as a whole. They are desperately in need of some energy being injected into the team/squad. Unfortunately this is part of the problem they face in this important game. I doubt it's escaped a lot of these players that even if they did win they won't be around to see the benefits. 

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You know what I mean though - anything can happen in a p and r system like an extreme injury crisis, loss of form etc.

I just thinks it's very poor management if they don't have a contingency in place at Les Cats for trying to fight through the Championship next year and bounce back like Hull KR have done.

Who knows whether being at the top of the Championship and winning virtually every week might reinvigorate the Dragons for future seasons.

I can understand how a prolonged absence from Super League would hurt a club, but not a single season.

Do you think HKR could've kept the same squad together with the additional expense of sending a squad and staff to the south of France every other game. I hope they stay up if they do go down I'd hope they could put a squad together that can get them back up. I would understand though if they went down and realised the extra cost made it impossible to retain a SL squad. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Do you think HKR could've kept the same squad together with the additional expense of sending a squad and staff to the south of France every other game. I hope they stay up if they do go down I'd hope they could put a squad together that can get them back up. I would understand though if they went down and realised the extra cost made it impossible to retain a SL squad. 

I see your point about the travelling which I hadn't factored in myself!

Hopefully though if they do go down they have a plan to be as competitive as possible.

I suspect though whatever happens they'll be a Super League team come 2019/20 due to licensing.

2 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

So you wont be watching the game?

I'll be glued to the screen, why wouldn't I be? Rugby league is rugby league whatever one eyed, small minded system it is played under, and I want Catalan to stay in the elite. I want rugby league to have a future.

47 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Talk about turning nothing into a crisis.  They do have contingency.  The CEO is in the press saying they have and have been in discussion with HKR (Mike Smith).

Lack of local development ! An Academy team finished 4th, the number of kids playing rl in perpignan is up massively, the stadium is looking pretty good, 10 years ago they started and now the kids that where 8or 9 years old are now coming through, is it the Catalans fault the jump from Academy to first team is so big? 

43 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I'll be glued to the screen, why wouldn't I be? Rugby league is rugby league whatever one eyed, small minded system it is played under, and I want Catalan to stay in the elite. I want rugby league to have a future.

I also want Cats to stay up. They should have been exempt. However I still love the middle 8s even if we go down. The only credible alternative is 2 or 3 up/down for enhanced chance of promotion.

Seems like the concensus of opinion is that Cats have already lost this game before a ball is kicked, I said after the Leigh game they would not lose another game in the eights, in that they have rode their fortune and had some luck along the way since I still think they are due one good performance, but please all forgive me if i hope i am wrong, yes I want Widnes to win to secure the home tie next week for Leigh, as I think that will our best chance and against Catalan also someone eluded to it will be their old men and i will add against our old men.

If i get my wish and It should happen i expect there will be a good crowd at Leigh next week with all the cupboard fans and UK based supporters of the Cats coming along to the LSV to cheer them along, they may well repond to the backing, remember every minute matters:clapping:

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

4 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

I also want Cats to stay up. They should have been exempt. However I still love the middle 8s even if we go down. The only credible alternative is 2 or 3 up/down for enhanced chance of promotion.

What I want to know is what are Leigh's plans to grow their audience and become a credible force in the game. Those plans should be in place 

23 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Lack of local development ! An Academy team finished 4th, the number of kids playing rl in perpignan is up massively, the stadium is looking pretty good, 10 years ago they started and now the kids that where 8or 9 years old are now coming through, is it the Catalans fault the jump from Academy to first team is so big? 

22 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Lack of local development? What are you talking about? 

If Catalans go down much of that junior work will go to the wind.

Half of the squad are imports. (mostly average)

They have recruited badly over the years other than a couple of exceptions.

They have gone backwards on who they employ as a Coach it seems.

Catalans are the NZ Warriors of Super League IMO.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived