Sign in to follow this  
glemiln

Onwards to 2018

2 hours ago, IanC said:

going back to the sixties Bill and Joe Mcfarlane -think we signed them from  Wigan , made Alan Hodgkinson look like a saint

Aye , I've heard some stories. They were Wiganers and played for a good few clubs. Bill was the real good 'un and teams used to sign Joe to get Bill. Real hard buggers.

A mate I used to play within the 70's told me how he debuted for Wigan A team, as a kid, away at Workington, I think. Bill was playing prop against him. He didn't know Bill and was given orders, by a more senior team mate, to stick one on him at the first scrum. After lamping him good and proper, he ended up a good second best and got his marching orders and was told, on the way off, who he'd just hit. Mcfarlane followed him, on the ref's instruction.

The bath was full and he sat there sh***ing himself. A few minutes later Bill walked in with a pie in each hand and lobbed one to my mate telling him 'get that deyn thy neck'. No way was he dropping that pass.

• Like 1

Although Lippy plays on the wing for Italy and has for Oldham. He is a better full back than winger imho. The consensus of us Oldham fans is he was wasted when he played wing for us. At full back he is solid,takes a high ball well for a short lad, and his tackling is excellent.

Whatever position he plays for you I hope he does well. Great bloke too.

He's not the tallest winger and so vulnerable to high kicks to the corner but heart of a lion. 

Edited by Yed17

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, Hornetto said:

Rob and Martin Hall.

Leigh and Danny Sculthorpe.

The Corsi Brothers

The Best Brothers

Glyn & Kelvin Earl. !

We have had a few Chuckle bros playing for us over the years.

• Haha 1

D. Kay / M. Greenwood   W. R. Massam   C. E. Hurst  C. L.Galbraith  W. R.Lepori     HB. L.Palfrey  SH. D. Yates

P.  L. Mitchell / L. Hatton      H. R. Maneely / B.Moores       P. M.Hadden  

SR. D.Allen      SR. T. Adamson     LF. L.Adamson / G.Middlehurst

(B.Turner** not confirmed; info.via NW Crusaders forum)

Edited by glemiln

Another former and young Warrington Wolves lad joins Hornets - a goal kicker too. Team coming together well.

Perhaps their new marquee signing, halfback Tyrone Roberts, will fancy a game or two?

D. Kay / M. Greenwood   W. R. Massam   C. E. Hurst  C. L.Galbraith  W. R.Lepori   

HB. L.Palfrey / H. Reardon    SH. D. Yates

Edited by glemiln

On 10/16/2017 at 7:38 PM, glemiln said:

D. Kay / M. Greenwood   W. R. Massam   C. E. Hurst  C. L.Galbraith  W. R.Lepori     HB. L.Palfrey  SH. D. Yates

(B.Turner** not confirmed; info.via NW Crusaders forum)

There's a lot of potential with Lewis Hatton.  He was, I think, the youngest lad in the side last season so did well to match it physically in the forwards.  Hopefully, he'll build more confidence next season.

Some promising signings for sure, time will tell I guess.

It looks like we are in the market for anybody so long as they've played for / come from / have links to Warrington at the minute. I guess though a coach will go with what he knows.

I've heard a rumour that Hornets have set up a recruitment office based at Ikea in Birchwood in the hope they can pick up more local talent. :blum:

In truth its matters not so long as they are good enough they could come from Mars.

Edited by ormskirknet

2 hours ago, ormskirknet said:

Some promising signings for sure, time will tell I guess.

It looks like we are in the market for anybody so long as they've played for / come from / have links to Warrington at the minute. I guess though a coach will go with what he knows.

I've heard a rumour that Hornets have set up a recruitment office based at Ikea in Birchwood in the hope they can pick up more local talent. :blum:

In truth its matters not so long as they are good enough they could come from Mars.

Have you been reading http://theseladscanrunfor80mins.blogspot.co.uk/  and know something we don't.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, glemiln said:

Another former and young Warrington Wolves lad joins Hornets - a goal kicker too. Team coming together well.

Perhaps their new marquee signing, halfback Tyrone Roberts, will fancy a game or two?

D. Kay / M. Greenwood   W. R. Massam   C. E. Hurst  C. L.Galbraith  W. R.Lepori   

HB. L.Palfrey / H. Reardon    SH. D. Yates

Any word on Jo Taira?........or Jono Smith?

FB  D. Kay / M. Greenwood   W. R. Massam   C. E. Hurst  C. L.Galbraith  W. R.Lepori   

HB. L.Palfrey / H. Reardon    SH. D. Yates / B. Brickhill (& other in positions)

The worry is that not many of the new signings have experience at Championship level. I might sound negative but it is a massive step up, particularly against the full time teams.

Having said that though we needed some new blood.

4 hours ago, mickhornet said:

George Tyson left Oldham for Swinton.

In some ways I like Tyson. If he could just keep it under control he his not a bad player. A very hard man I think. Good luck to him at Swinton.

Its yet another player leaving our nearest and dearest. Bring on the Law Cup.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:48 PM, mickhornet said:

Think Jono is bound for OZ.Dont know anything about Jo.

On facebook (with picture) Jono is at the airport on his way to Oz, however he says underneath the pic " work boxed off until 11th of December" I have no doubt he will be looking for a club, but at the same time he intimates he is back at work on the 11th of December. So who knows, except perhaps Killer.

Slightly off topic, but the 'merging' of Oxford & All Golds into Bristol for 2019 signals that league reorganisation will be necessary at the end of 2018.  The American overtures, if realised, will be part of it too.

From the Oxford/Golds announcement:

“The Rugby Football League is clear that there is an expectation on all clubs in the professional game to offer a clear strategy that demonstrates their plans to help grow and strengthen the sport in future years,” said Ralph Rimmer, Chief Operating Officer of the Rugby Football League.

It would help too if the RFL offered/announced a clear strategy/plans!

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:18 PM, The Baron Mk11 said:

On facebook (with picture) Jono is at the airport on his way to Oz, however he says underneath the pic " work boxed off until 11th of December" I have no doubt he will be looking for a club, but at the same time he intimates he is back at work on the 11th of December. So who knows, except perhaps Killer.

Last I heard was that Jono has NOT been offered anything by the club regarding next season.....yet

19 minutes ago, ormskirknet said:

Last I heard was that Jono has NOT been offered anything by the club regarding next season.....yet

One of our supporters (Swinton) was having a beer with him in Melbourne last night , says he has signed for Barrow . 

Edited by Davecord