Onwards to 2018

glemiln

http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/50250/massam-and-taira-scoop-top-gongs

Congratulations to all this season's awards winners - it must have been a good night out - and for all in extending our life (against the odds) for the 2018 Championship.

We may have visits to Catalans (now depending on next week's MPG), Toulouse and Toronto in addition to London and possibly a trip to one part of sunny Cumbria.  Hopefully, we shall have a tilt at Oldham again via the Law Cup and a few high profile 'friendlies' to boost the coffers, before the real deal.

It will be interesting to see how our 2018 team takes shape in the coming weeks to meet the big challenges ahead - the first 4 signings are a good start and I guess that some of those present on Friday night will feature again, to ensure continuity of purpose.  AK hinted in his last interview that some new recruits were close to signing, in what was a "difficult market" with costs "ramping up".  Some of the faithful have already expressed thoughts on where our priorities lie!  

After next season, it's anyone's guess at the format the RFL will adopt, but current rumours indicate another upheaval in the league structure.  Here's hoping, that come this time next year, we shall be in the Championship, stronger for it and ready for whatever the RFL comes up with.

Looking forward to hearing of emerging signings and the fans opinions.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to think of any other sport that changes format on an annual basis.  Its no wonder attendences are falling when the public are uncertain of what the latest format is.  Does anyone know when was the last season when no changes were made to the format (number of games played, extra neutral site games, play off format, number of teams promoted and relegated) in all divisions.

Its amazing other sports survive when the size of the divisions remain the same and each team plays each other twice (home and away).  No doubt with the new format rugby league will soar to new heights (depths?)

19 hours ago, The Baron Mk11 said:

There is a very strong rumor that Lepori has been offered a good deal (his words) but hasn't signed as yet.

We've just signed Dec Kay. Why would we sign the last line of defence of a team that got relegated? Lepori's ok at best.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

bully4us 1 hr ago

I am only going on what I have been told and heard from people who really should know. If I am wrong I will hold my hands up as well as being shocked but I genuinely do not expect us to go down.
If Catalan get relegated next Saturday there will then be 5 clubs who will not bring more than a bus load to home matches - Cats, Toronto, Toulouse, London and possibly Barrow. 11 home games and only 6 of them with any away support. This is why the championship chairmen are complaining to the RFL that also losing Bradfords 1000+ away supporters plus HKRs will hit them badly. One chairman stated that he was looking at a 60k to 80k drop in revenue with the Bulls and HKR leaving and being replaced by clubs with no support. He said he didn't know where he could find that extra income.
That is why I think there is a good chance the league will go to 14 clubs - two up and nobody down.
I hope I am right. If not, then we will have a few more different grounds to visit.

From within the Bradford & Telegraph Argus - more hope than expectation? 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's my thinking also. Is he better than Dec Kay ? We signed a stand off last season that was supposedly better than Paul Crook, well the jury's  still out on that one.

I see Whitehaven got through to the promotion final with a golden point drop goal in the 107th minute after Crooky had hit the post with a late dg effort of his own..........and guess who kicked 4 out of 4.

OK, he hasn't the pace of LP but I can't remember one occasion where that made the slightest difference. I know who I prefer as a kicker, be it for points or in general play.

Apparently, "Journos reporting on Twitter that SL clubs meeting tomorrow to discuss a possible expansion to 13 or 14 teams from 2019".  Championship & League 1 clubs are meeting too : https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/campbell-the-future-s-in-doubt-without-the-eights-MQQ7S.    A possible Leigh victory over The Catalans on Saturday may be the catalyst.

image.png.e6e8eb7f41ed29f5cc79f96cfa3e9a8b.png

Presumably,  the Championship format for 2018 will have to be decided too, as it would affect criteria for 2019 and clubs' current recruitment plans. 

According to NW Crusaders' forum: "Blake Turner to leave Crusaders and sign for Rochdale Hornets".

A prop forward, under 20yrs, having come through their youth system and that at Warrington.

Selected for Wales in this year's Students RL World Cup in OZ.

image.png

On 28/09/2017 at 11:47 AM, graham fisher said:

I didn't name him out of respect for your club and player involved,is that better?

You've signed Toby Adamson from us,very good player sorry to see him leave. Rumour as it you've signed his brother Luke as well from Oldham. Good luck Toby ?

See Paul Crook has signed for Oldham. I think he could still have done a good job for us.

Hope we sign a goal kicker. Sorry to see some of the players leaving such as Gav Bennion and Jordan Case. Are Gaz Middlehurst, Jo Taira, Jono Smith and Matty Hadden still under contract?

Archived