Sign in to follow this  
plug

Blueprint for SL

Recommended Posts

I bet the RFL are kicking there selfs the championship will now be the blue print for RL in England poss 2 french teams 1 canadian team and a London team all in one leauge thought that was surposed to be the RFL's dream for a SL comp 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, plug said:

I bet the RFL are kicking there selfs the championship will now be the blue print for RL in England poss 2 french teams 1 canadian team and a London team all in one leauge thought that was surposed to be the RFL's dream for a SL comp 

Maybe the RFL could just swap the names of the 2 leagues around. The championship could become super league and super league the championship;-)

 

Seriously though if there's a silver lining it's that the championship is going to be very exciting next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, plug said:

I bet the RFL are kicking there selfs the championship will now be the blue print for RL in England poss 2 french teams 1 canadian team and a London team all in one leauge thought that was surposed to be the RFL's dream for a SL comp 

I am not sure this is a huge negative. As is pointed out, this could be a blueprint for for RL (and not just in England) and a precursor of what is to come. It will allow the RFL and individual clubs to work on the logistics for a geographically wider competition, and to assess its popularity. I suspect next year's competition will attract a great deal of interest and it will be exciting.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear 2018 will be a total farce next year if licensing is brought back in 2019.

All of the league competitions will be rendered a bit pointless if in the long run you have a host of teams that are going to change division regardless of what they do  on the pitch.

Toronto and Catalans will definitely be restructured into Super League for 2019, Toulouse and London you would of thought would be prime contenders too.  

Thst will leave 4 of next year's less wealthy  heartland clubs in Super League 2018 facing semi-permanent exclusion from the competition in 2019.

What a potential mess!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I fear 2018 will be a total farce next year if licensing is brought back in 2019.

All of the league competitions will be rendered a bit pointless if in the long run you have a host of teams that are going to change division regardless of what they do  on the pitch.

Toronto and Catalans will definitely be restructured into Super League for 2019, Toulouse and London you would of thought would be prime contenders too.  

Thst will leave 4 of next year's less wealthy  heartland clubs in Super League 2018 facing semi-permanent exclusion from the competition in 2019.

What a potential mess!

I expect only 2 of them will face exclusion as they'd have to go for 14 if they wanted four expansion teams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they don't come up with a genuine plan for the future the game as top professional sport is over, the current format is exciting for fans in the heartland of the game but outside no one is interested. The need for two French sides, Toronto and other sides to compete with the top clubs is the only olive branch for the northern hemisphere game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Sky respond to this and see people might like to see this intriguing championship games with the new and the established , local and international . Wouldn't hold my breath though 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like the original Super League blueprint implemented which meant for 2 Super League places set aside for French teams. If the English clubs then want p & r to the Championship let them work away. Similarly the French clubs could replace their 2 French clubs as they see fit.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

We need to decide where new clubs start as well. You can't start a club with significant financial backing i.e. TWP in the same league as a community club building bottom up such as MCR

Who are MCR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Who are MCR?

Manchester rangers??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ah right, cheers, probably.

Not sure if the "c" stands for city or if they're even called Manchester City rangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Maybe the RFL could just swap the names of the 2 leagues around. The championship could become super league and super league the championship;-)

 

Seriously though if there's a silver lining it's that the championship is going to be very exciting next year.

Sadly for the fans if Catalans come down and Bradford are relegated then it just means 2 more games devoid of any atmosphere. That might be some peoples idea of a good thing with Catalans and toronto in the league but its certainly not mine. Im not clinging to the "away fans" thing because of the money, im just worried that no away fans makes it that little harder to watch RL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I wonder how they'll fudge it.

Middle 8s with the top 6 qualifying for SL instead of 4?

The RFL would not risk something like that as there would be potential for a couple of less fashionable clubs to risk it all and bring players in for the middle 8's knowing they make the top 6 they get in to SL for a big pay day and no potential relegation for a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

The RFL would not risk something like that as there would be potential for a couple of less fashionable clubs to risk it all and bring players in for the middle 8's knowing they make the top 6 they get in to SL for a big pay day and no potential relegation for a few years.

Not sure about that. Toronto and Catalans could spend full cap but Fev? Fax? Nah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

I am not sure this is a huge negative. As is pointed out, this could be a blueprint for for RL (and not just in England) and a precursor of what is to come. It will allow the RFL and individual clubs to work on the logistics for a geographically wider competition, and to assess its popularity. I suspect next year's competition will attract a great deal of interest and it will be exciting.

 

 

 

 

Is that exciting like watching a man clinging to the edge of a skyscraper by his fingernails? That could well be the position that some clubs will find themselves in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Sadly for the fans if Catalans come down and Bradford are relegated then it just means 2 more games devoid of any atmosphere. That might be some peoples idea of a good thing with Catalans and toronto in the league but its certainly not mine. Im not clinging to the "away fans" thing because of the money, im just worried that no away fans makes it that little harder to watch RL.

This topic has been done to death. However, from a North American perspective, the concept that not having "away fans" means the game is "devoid of amy atmosphere" is a damming inditement of the home club fans and match day experience overall. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

 Im not clinging to the "away fans" thing because of the money, im just worried that no away fans makes it that little harder to watch RL.

I think it is a myth about Toronto not having any away fans.  There are tens of thousands of Canadians living in the UK, and TWP has indicated next year they intend to push harder on marketing to them, but they did make a small push this year, and in fact in a couple of different forum threads people noted that at one game they talked to some Canadians who had just become aware of TWP and in another, someone noted seeing quite a number of TWP jerseys in the audience ( I think they said a couple of hundred but I don't recall the forum thread so I cannot fact check).

I did reach out to 2 people I know in London who are know about TWP but their recognition came to late for they to plan a trip into Cumbrian territory to see a game.  Next year it may be different, and I might also travel to join them on one such expedition....

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I fear 2018 will be a total farce next year if licensing is brought back in 2019.

All of the league competitions will be rendered a bit pointless if in the long run you have a host of teams that are going to change division regardless of what they do  on the pitch.

Toronto and Catalans will definitely be restructured into Super League for 2019, Toulouse and London you would of thought would be prime contenders too.  

Thst will leave 4 of next year's less wealthy  heartland clubs in Super League 2018 facing semi-permanent exclusion from the competition in 2019.

What a potential mess!

I know you were active in one (or more as there were several) discussions on potential reformatting of RL.  Maybe the discussions particularly around comprehensive restructuring including conferences are something that will have to be revisited although I am not proposing we pollute this thread with that discussion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Captain Survival said:

I know you were active in one (or more as there were several) discussions on potential reformatting of RL.  Maybe the discussions particularly around comprehensive restructuring including conferences are something that will have to be revisited although I am not proposing we pollute this thread with that discussion. 

Fair enough.  It is true that I advocated conferences (and still do) with p and r to a championship level of conferences.  I have learned though through reading these pages and from elsewhere that my personal vision would rely upon a major cash injection brought most probably from increasing the number of our broadcasting partners in the U.K.

In this debate, I believe the Super 8s are a fudge between those that want a licensing system and those who want more promotion and relegation.

I think for Toronto the question is academic as I believe they will make the top flight (Super League) regardless of whichever system is brought in to coincide with negotiations towards a new structure to suit TV.

However, and this is where passions arise, there are a number of clubs who would probably prefer to keep any element of p and r ahead of a licensing system which (and this is the perception) will keep their clubs out of the top flight and facing the real risk of long term damage with no hope of a return under that system.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough.  It is true that I advocated conferences (and still do) with p and r to a championship level of conferences.  I have learned though through reading these pages and from elsewhere that my personal vision would rely upon a major cash injection brought most probably from increasing the number of our broadcasting partners in the U.K.

In this debate, I believe the Super 8s are a fudge between those that want a licensing system and those who want more promotion and relegation.

I think for Toronto the question is academic as I believe they will make the top flight (Super League) regardless of whichever system is brought in to coincide with negotiations towards a new structure to suit TV.

However, and this is where passions arise, there are a number of clubs who would probably prefer to keep any element of p and r ahead of a licensing system which (and this is the perception) will keep their clubs out of the top flight and facing the real risk of long term damage with no hope of a return under that system.

 

 

Yes. I was noting that you were among such participants (I thought you were advocating but I could not remember for certain).

Its a difficult matter and one that deserves a serious, dedicated discussion, but without any rancor from people on other side, but rather to be approached with a full airing of the issues for and against.

I thought to start such a thread once it was more clear to me on new entrants from NA.

It also occurred to me that potential new entrants from NA might not yet be public as they have the same concerns about the league structure, and don't want to put their money on the table until they know which way the wind is blowing at the top.....

My spidey business instincts tell me that broadcasting money from NA is going to be a factor, perhaps sooner rather then later.

I for one very much understand the concerns traditionalists have with the potential impact on their clubs of rich upstarts from NA.  Managing both sets of expectations is going to be very difficult.  I really believe its going to require something fairly radical in respect of restructuring but what and how is not clear at all given the conflicting interests. 

I confess I really don't know how to approach the matter of the middling clubs that require away attendance,  fundraising by supporters, etc to be viable.  These concepts are so foreign in NA that it literally is different worlds.  Yet such clubs are the core of the history and identity of RL and neither I, nor I think most of my fellow new entrants from Canada are advocating that we should just leave them in the dust - at least this is my perception. 

But damned if I know how to resolve this conundrum at this time.

I finish this post with my observation that all NA professional sporting associations use conferences, and in the long run if RL attracts more interest from potential entrants that is where it will end up.  And it will not be due to rich tv deal, but rather financially viable clubs from core operations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



100 Days That Shook Rugby League

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Oct 2017